Armor egos and the robe of resistance

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 8th June 2013, 22:26

Armor egos and the robe of resistance

Is there a reason why robes are special cased with the resistance ego? Can leather armor also be allowed to roll resistance? Why not plate? Casters have no less slots than melee, and generally need resistances less due to being able to nuke monsters from a distance. Why do they get this perk?

Also, add regeneration as a possible body armor ego. Same effect as a ring, .3 hp a turn.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 8th June 2013, 22:48

Re: Armor egos and the robe of resistance

tasonir wrote:Is there a reason why robes are special cased with the resistance ego? Can leather armor also be allowed to roll resistance? Why not plate? Casters have no less slots than melee, and generally need resistances less due to being able to nuke monsters from a distance. Why do they get this perk?

Also, add regeneration as a possible body armor ego. Same effect as a ring, .3 hp a turn.

I assume the reason for Robe's getting the special buff is to give Caster's something to offset the penalty of not getting AC from wearing actual armour.
A Google Doc I wrote up in regards to making a new 'workable' definition for the Roguelike Genre:
Defining the Roguelike Genre

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 8th June 2013, 22:56

minmay wrote:Also: only robes can get Archmagi, robes cannot get poison resistance, only plate armour can get ponderousness, only wizard hats can get magic resistance, only caps can get spirit shield, only helmets can get see invisible.

Isn't ponderousness deprecated except for the hat of pondering?
The abyss isn't a toilet...
Confidence Interval wrote:Though if you find yourself there you may well conclude that you have been emmerded, to misuse a French term.

The sheep explode! Xom roars with laughter!

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 8th June 2013, 23:08

minmay wrote:Also: only robes can get Archmagi, robes cannot get poison resistance, only plate armour can get ponderousness, only wizard hats can get magic resistance, only caps can get spirit shield, only helmets can get see invisible.

Caps can get see invisible.

And to the OP, my understanding is that robes can get these very nice brands like Archmagi and Resistance because they are not that great otherwise compared to SDA, MDA or even the very common leather armour (I'm not sure what the situation is in 0.13 concering the leather armours evasion penalty, though). It would be nice to have CPA of Archmagi but then again it probably wouldn't.

Maybe at least troll leather armour's healing should be boosted to match the regen rate of the ring? According to the bots it's 0.4 not 0.3 for the ring and 0.3 for troll leather. It's not like it's overpowered at the moment and the disparity with the regen ring serves as a source of confusion for some maybe.

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 8th June 2013, 23:10

All plate already comes with resistance, it's called AC

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 9th June 2013, 03:36

In vault definitions you can specify combinations that don't generate regularly, so you can make a crystal plate mail of the archmagi or a leather armour of resistance

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 9th June 2013, 05:08

Can't shields have the same resistance ego as robes? I'm pretty certain I've seen that before. Unless it was nonstandard and came from a vault or something.

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 9th June 2013, 13:55

prozcelf: That is correct. Shields can naturally generate with the resistance ego, no vaults required. I've been hacking at makeitem.cc for a while and I saw it where the code generates shield egos.
On IRC my nick is reaverb. I play online under the name reaver, though.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 11th June 2013, 20:27

granted archmagi is another robe exclusive, but I don't have as much of a problem with that because it's more exclusive to casters (I would also be fine with it being universal, but I don't think it needs changing). Resistance is an ego that everyone would want, it's straight up more powerful than rF+ or rC+ alone. There's no reason that a plate user wouldn't want it, and if your arguement is that plate is strictly better, then nerf plate somewhere else. I think that the spellcasting penalty and the -ev already make up for the AC of plate.

I don't see what the point of mentioning non-body armor egos is. Yes helmets have sInv...but boots also get running, what's the point? I wasn't talking about moving helmet or boot egos to armor, only moving body armor egos to body armors. Secondary slots are off topic.

If I was off on regen being .4 then my apologies, I was just going from memory. In any case the ego should be about the same as a ring, fire resistance ego is the same as the ring, so the idea that an ego replaces a ring is pretty common.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 12th June 2013, 02:47

tasonir wrote:Resistance is an ego that everyone would want, it's straight up more powerful than rF+ or rC+ alone. There's no reason that a plate user wouldn't want it, and if your arguement is that plate is strictly better, then nerf plate somewhere else. I think that the spellcasting penalty and the -ev already make up for the AC of plate.

I'm sorry, but this is one strange post.

1. Plate has AC which is good, robe has resistance which is good, so both are good (so there's no problem whatsoever that needs to be fixed);
2. Plate doesn't have resistance but has AC, robe doesn't have AC but has resistance, and I believe this is called variey (which is good);
3. AFAIK, AC is like the "swiss knife of resistance", since with high AC your character becomes resistant to many things including fire and cold attacks (well although things like ice fiend's cold melee seem to ignore AC, but you meet those dudes in extended). So, I mean... do you still think that tanky dudes in plate armour need resistance ego that bad?

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 12th June 2013, 10:45

pratamawirya wrote:(well although things like ice fiend's cold melee seem to ignore AC, but you meet those dudes in extended)

..and even in the ice fiend's case, if you take no damage at all from the regular melee, the cold damage doesn't trigger at all! This is probably only relevant at absurdly high AC numbers (and not advising people to do this) but my Naga character with 70 AC killed ice fiends in melee without any cold resistance.

What about the regeneration ego? It does overlap with TLA but on the other hand does somebody actually use TLA for long or at all? I would think regeneration in armour would usually be preferred by characters in heavy armour (plate) than in light armour (TLA) because 1) the latter can have easy access to the spell more easily anyways (well, with obvious limitations like finding it and not worshipping good deities etc.) 2) most probable playing style of the light armoured and heavy armoured characters (I would think heavy armoured guys do more melee fighting, on average) and because TLA is just not that great anyways.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 12th June 2013, 17:31

minmay wrote:
tasonir wrote:I don't see what the point of mentioning non-body armor egos is. Yes helmets have sInv...but boots also get running, what's the point? I wasn't talking about moving helmet or boot egos to armor, only moving body armor egos to body armors.
and adding Spirit to wizard hats would be "moving a hat ego to hats"

This seems like you're intentionally trying to strawman the thread. Spirit only exists on an unrand hat, as far as I know. This thread is intended to be about body armors. I'm not sure why secondary slots keep coming up.

pratamawirya:

Yes, plate has higher armor. I'm aware AC can block fire damage. But plate still generates fire resistance egos. You seem to say that people in plate shouldn't need resistances, when they can and do get them now. My question was just why the double resistance is special cased to robes.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 12th June 2013, 17:34

tasonir wrote:Spirit only exists on an unrand hat, as far as I know.

Random caps can get it.
tasonir wrote:why the double resistance is special cased to robes

Can it be because, out of all armours, they have the worst base AC?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 12th June 2013, 17:39

And the best spellcasting penalty and evasion penalty? I guess I thought that those were the reasons people wore robes, but apparently it's just for the chance at an ego you may never find.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 12th June 2013, 17:51

Mottled dragon armour is better in a lot of cases than robe of resistance anyway, and it can't get an ego at all.

For this message the author Sar has received thanks:
Sporkman

Return to Game Design Discussion