Proposal about shoal water tiles

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 27th April 2013, 00:41

Proposal about shoal water tiles

Would it be possible to darken the shallow water colors for the shoals? I think sewer water was changed for the same reason for being so atrociously glowing florescent green.

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 28th April 2013, 17:42

Re: Proposal about shoal water tiles

Shoals water has already been darkened at least once; I suppose I could do it again, but I'd really rather have a whole new set of tiles for it. Sadly, drawing water is really hard so it'll take either somebody else doing them or me getting miraculously inspired for that to happen, so...

zrn

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 28th April 2013, 17:46

ontoclasm wrote:Shoals water has already been darkened at least once; I suppose I could do it again, but I'd really rather have a whole new set of tiles for it. Sadly, drawing water is really hard so it'll take either somebody else doing them or me getting miraculously inspired for that to happen, so...

Your avatar is so cute.

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 28th April 2013, 19:45

I could definitely darken the water again at some point, but are there other changes I could do as well? I always thought the floor tiles were a bit goofy but I don't know what I'd rather make them look like.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 30th April 2013, 03:26

roctavian wrote:I could definitely darken the water again at some point, but are there other changes I could do as well? I always thought the floor tiles were a bit goofy but I don't know what I'd rather make them look like.

How about darkening land tiles as well? Personally I think the Shoals are generally too bright in every aspect. Sea snakes and turtles blend really well into the landscape (which could be fatal if you don't look at the screen really close). But then water's too bright, so I tend(or usually have to 'cause my eyes start to get really hurt) to stay away from the screen, which in turn makes finding monsters hard in the first place.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 30th April 2013, 09:27

It's a beach. Wear sunglasses.

For this message the author Galefury has received thanks:
Grimm

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 30th April 2013, 18:11

Best option would be to make it a nighttime tileset. This way LOS and everything else light-related (e.g. corona, darkness spell) would make sense...

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 30th April 2013, 22:46

How about ground tiles that are similar to how they are now on Shoals:1, but darkening/becoming more blue as the player descends? I did that before but not well, and could do a better job this time.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 1st May 2013, 00:15

roctavian wrote:How about ground tiles that are similar to how they are now on Shoals:1, but darkening/becoming more blue as the player descends? I did that before but not well, and could do a better job this time.

That sounds very cool (it was actually one of your shoals images on mantis that made me suggest the nighttime variant, I guess that's the one you're talking about).

It's still a bit hard to explain why the night gets later or earlier depending on whether you go up or down but hey these are magical watery staircases we're talking about anyway right? ;)

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 1st May 2013, 01:34

Well, that's because I imagine multiple layers of ocean and breathable air stacked on top of each other, with less light filtering through the lower you go. But I think the less said about how Shoals works, the better, because people start getting hot and bothered about the fluff and it ruins our fun beach party.

(maybe I should make a beach ball tile for re-skinning orb of destruction, just for this branch...)

For this message the author roctavian has received thanks:
cerebovssquire

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 1st May 2013, 03:18

If it's nighttime you could make the beach bonfire party vault too!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 1st May 2013, 08:52

roctavian wrote:(maybe I should make a beach ball tile for re-skinning orb of destruction, just for this branch...)

Only 337 days until April 1, 2014, get cracking!

For this message the author cerebovssquire has received thanks:
BlackSheep

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 1st May 2013, 14:10

This sounds a lot like it could be the Discopan vault of Shoals...

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 1st May 2013, 14:42

roctavian wrote:Well, that's because I imagine multiple layers of ocean and breathable air stacked on top of each other, with less light filtering through the lower you go. But I think the less said about how Shoals works, the better, because people start getting hot and bothered about the fluff and it ruins our fun beach party.

(maybe I should make a beach ball tile for re-skinning orb of destruction, just for this branch...)

So yeah, stairs in Shoals make no sense. What about replacing them with some sort of mystical gate instead?

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 1st May 2013, 15:11

Lasty wrote:So yeah, stairs in Shoals make no sense. What about replacing them with some sort of mystical gate instead?

The stairs are a mystical gate, it just happens to be stair-shaped.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 1st May 2013, 17:18

mumra wrote:
Lasty wrote:So yeah, stairs in Shoals make no sense. What about replacing them with some sort of mystical gate instead?

The stairs are a mystical gate, it just happens to be stair-shaped.

Touché.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 1st May 2013, 18:48

Galefury wrote:It's a beach. Wear sunglasses.

mumra wrote:Best option would be to make it a nighttime tileset.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2LTL8KgKv8

Return to Game Design Discussion