confusion and brilliance

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Swamp Slogger

Post Thursday, 25th April 2013, 16:35

confusion and brilliance

Here's an idea: potions of brilliance should cure confusion (and make you immune for the duration). This would be a great way to handle mephitic cloud and it would make potions of brilliance much more useful.
27 wins: CeHu(1), DgFE(1), DEEE(1), DEFE(2), DsBe(1), DsFE(1), DsFi(1), DsIE(1), HOFi(2), MiBe(1), MiFi(6), MiHe(1), MuFE(1), MuWz(1), OpFE(1), SpEE(1), SpEn(1), TeAE(1), TrMo(1), VpIE(1)

For this message the author drag0n has received thanks:
Tiber

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 25th April 2013, 17:10

Re: confusion and brilliance

Here's another idea: quaff brilliance before posting to GDD
Your warning level: [CLASSIFIED]

For this message the author ebarrett has received thanks:
cerebovssquire

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 25th April 2013, 17:23

That idea actually sounds pretty good to me. Makes a lot of sense, and brilliance is currently very rarely useful (you need to jump through some hoops to even have a chance of it being good).

For this message the author Galefury has received thanks:
drag0n

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 25th April 2013, 17:57

Maybe Might and Agility should have similar changes so they fit the theme?
A Google Doc I wrote up in regards to making a new 'workable' definition for the Roguelike Genre:
Defining the Roguelike Genre

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 25th April 2013, 18:15

It is a potion of brilliance, not a potion of curing or an amulet of clarity. It would be weird for brilliance to do this too.

That said, I find I never drink my brilliance potions. So maybe they are a bit underpowered? I definitely use might and agility though ...

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 25th April 2013, 18:17

Brilliance is a good potion that A) Allows you to cast a spell significantly before you have invested enough XP to cast it otherwise and B) Drastically boosts your spell power.

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 25th April 2013, 18:18

brilliance is really good if you use conjurations (acts a lot like might), and occasionally good for superwizardry on anyone else. (while your Minotaur is working on Haste, it might act like !speed,etc)
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

For this message the author rchandra has received thanks:
cerebovssquire

Swamp Slogger

Post Thursday, 25th April 2013, 19:15

blackcustard wrote:It is a potion of brilliance, not a potion of curing or an amulet of clarity. It would be weird for brilliance to do this too.

It's like the potion makes you so smart that you can't be confused. Makes sense, more or less.

blackcustard wrote:That said, I find I never drink my brilliance potions. So maybe they are a bit underpowered?

Yeah, I suspect they aren't used very often (even for casters); this change would make them very useful for almost everyone.
27 wins: CeHu(1), DgFE(1), DEEE(1), DEFE(2), DsBe(1), DsFE(1), DsFi(1), DsIE(1), HOFi(2), MiBe(1), MiFi(6), MiHe(1), MuFE(1), MuWz(1), OpFE(1), SpEE(1), SpEn(1), TeAE(1), TrMo(1), VpIE(1)

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 25th April 2013, 19:37

The smartest people I know are probably also the most easily confused.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 25th April 2013, 19:44

drag0n wrote:
blackcustard wrote:It is a potion of brilliance, not a potion of curing or an amulet of clarity. It would be weird for brilliance to do this too.

It's like the potion makes you so smart that you can't be confused. Makes sense, more or less.

Does intelligence (the attribute) helps against confusion? No it doesn't. Does being smart (in RL) helps against alcohol intoxication (or any other chemical way to induce confusion)? No it doesn't. Does your proposal make any sense?
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 25th April 2013, 19:50

that's because many confusion effects have a saving throw on fortitude or will and people with high int tend to have low wis and con.

... no wait, wrong game.

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 25th April 2013, 20:47

Brilliance helps you think clearly. Clarity protects against confusion. Makes sense to me.

Sure, you can argue about flavor either way. But I would like potions of brilliance to be more universally useful.

For this message the author Galefury has received thanks:
drag0n

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 25th April 2013, 22:21

Potions of brilliance are very strong, perhaps you should try using them.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 25th April 2013, 22:56

They're remarkably useful if, for example, you really need a hex to work the very next time you cast it. Haven't used them as much for damage dealing spells but I imagine the effect is similar.

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 25th April 2013, 23:36

crate wrote:Potions of brilliance are very strong, perhaps you should try using them.

I have almost never used them for the spellpower boost, mostly for more success and sometimes to avoid memorizing low-level spells. An opportunity to use them rarely presents itself, at least to me. I will try to find more uses.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 26th April 2013, 11:20

I also used to feel that potions of Brilliance weren't very good, but more than a few times I've been able to use them when I have Orb of Destruction at red 21% or freezing cloud at yellow 43% or whatever.

I think the problem with brilliance is that it doesn't *feel* that useful or tangible to most players, and that's just an issue with player perception -- not high priority to correct and hard to get into an ideal state.

Return to Game Design Discussion