Stat drain and mummies: grindtastic!

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 19th April 2013, 22:28

Stat drain and mummies: grindtastic!

Kay, so I've finally gotten a character to survive past a few runes, and I've now started a few expiditions into the abyss.
I'm not going to complain about grinding in the abyss or anything, I've got a bigger problem than that.
When monsters drain my stats to far, I start trying to leave the abyss. Once I do so, there's a problem.
My character is a mummy. Mummies can't drink a potion to restore their stats.
Mummies also don't need to eat, so I can afford to wait around on in the dungeon for my stats to return to normal.
The problem is it takes forever and is extremely boring. Furthermore, by the point one is able to enter the abyss for expiditions and so on, the monsters at D27 aren't threatening, so the OOD anti-grind counter is useless.
Therefore, I propose that mummies become immune to stat drain.

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 19th April 2013, 22:37

Re: Stat drain and mummies: grindtastic!

Press a*

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 19th April 2013, 22:42

danharaj wrote:Press a*

Yeah, I could go waste a permanent point of MP. Thing is, the optimal choice in this situation is waiting.
If the optimal thing to do is grind, something is wrong with a game's balance.
Plus, this is the worst kind of grinding, because at least there's some enjoyment to be found in going around killing monsters.
Leaving a heavy weight on the 5 key? Not so much.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 19th April 2013, 23:07

Yeah this is an issue, probably the fix is to either make stat drain require XP gain to recover (like transient mutations), or to just make stats not recover over time (obviously that would maybe require additional adjustments to sources of stat drain).

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 19th April 2013, 23:15

MarvinPA wrote:Yeah this is an issue, probably the fix is to either make stat drain require XP gain to recover (like transient mutations), or to just make stats not recover over time (obviously that would maybe require additional adjustments to sources of stat drain).

That first one would probably work. Plus, it motivates people to delve further into the dungeon, as grinding in the abyss to get rid of stat drain gained in the abyss would just trap you in some kind of horrible circular loop.

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 19th April 2013, 23:51

I actually used to think that undead didn't ever get any stat-recovery since it felt like it took so long.

-AHMAD
My Wins (>25):
15-runer: OPWz, DECj, DEWz x2, VpWz
Other: DEWz, DrWz, DjWz, GnIE, KeCj, SpEn, SpWz, SpCj, MuWz, FeWzx2, MiBe x7.

Crawl Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/BountyHunterSAx2
or vids: http://www.youtube.com/user/BountyHunterSAx <--

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 19th April 2013, 23:55

BountyHunterSAx wrote:I actually used to think that undead didn't ever get any stat-recovery since it felt like it took so long.

-AHMAD

I thought this until reading this just now

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 25th April 2013, 00:07

some12fat2move wrote:
BountyHunterSAx wrote:I actually used to think that undead didn't ever get any stat-recovery since it felt like it took so long.

-AHMAD

I thought this until reading this just now

Ditto
Jabberwocky wrote:You came back on the forums. Everything in the corner has been worse since 11/4/12. It got better when you left, but now it's bad again.

"You cannot grasp the true form of Giygas's attack!"

Return to Game Design Discussion