How the hell are you supposed to play a NaWr?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Tuesday, 26th November 2013, 00:57

How the hell are you supposed to play a NaWr?

You're supposed to run from things I get that, but you still need to kill at least something for the xp right? Well I can't seem to fight anything without dying. I lose half my hp fighting a fucking rat and my last three tried ended with me getting killed by an hobgoblin, Iguana and a adder. It's not like they just finished me off or anything like that, it was one one on one from full health. I've been playing set up for the last five hours and haven't made it past level 5. How the bloody hell are you supposed to not kill over at a stiff breeze?

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 26th November 2013, 00:59

Re: How the hell are you supposed to play a NaWr?

Spit poison.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 26th November 2013, 01:13

Nagas aren't particularly good at running from things, with their slow speed. When I tried playing a Naga, I found that used auto-explore a lot more, since it stops immediately upon seeing something, whereas I might easily take another step or two if I was hitting the arrow keys manually while exploring. A few mistaken steps aren't a big deal when you're as fast as the enemy or faster, but it's a real problem if you start a fight with too many things at once and can't get away from it.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 26th November 2013, 02:56

There's an interesting dilemma there, as a slow species (or Fo, that can't teleport) positioning is more important, which makes autoexplore worse. But doubletapping keys is also worse which makes autoexplore better. So I think the best answer is to not use autoexplore until the floor is at least partially explored, and just be careful to not keymash.
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

Wizlab Walloper

Post Tuesday, 26th November 2013, 03:19

Iguanas are actually very dangerous lizards in early D, and aren't at all in the same range of difficulty as newts or geckos.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 26th November 2013, 03:29

your first mistake is thinking naga is a good race

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 26th November 2013, 08:01

rchandra wrote:So I think the best answer is to not use autoexplore until the floor is at least partially explored, and just be careful to not keymash.
Since I found out that with num-lock inactive you can use Maj + the numpad keys to "run" (go to a direction until something happens, as in auto-explore or a wall ending near you), I use that much more often. It was especially usefull with my formicid of chei, who had the same "problem" of a naga, where positionning was the difference between winning or loosing a fight.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 26th November 2013, 08:31

Simple, position, throw shit, use conjure flames ASAP, then blink and meph clouds, so pump conj.

Also Sealth allows you to avoid many early confrontation, and spit poison is really good in dugeon pre-lair and in lair. Use and abuses it.

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 26th November 2013, 10:57

dirtywick wrote:Spit poison.

This.

If you're not out of breath and there's an enemy in sight, use it. It's not like it costs you anything.

If you're not used to playing Nagas, maybe start with a stronger background like elementalist or Be? Or alternatively play Wr with a normal speed race. Playing Wr involves a lot of running away, and that includes stuff like hobgoblins if you're getting bad combat rolls.

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 26th November 2013, 22:38

DracheReborn wrote:
dirtywick wrote:Spit poison.

This.

If you're not out of breath and there's an enemy in sight, use it. It's not like it costs you anything.

It actually has a food cost which will probably ruin your whole game but luckily you can and should aim for necromution right away which takes care of this. [/trolling]

BTW, I was surprised to learn that you actually can spit poison while in lich form.

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 26th November 2013, 23:06

I find Stealth helps a lot with Nagas.They get a +5 apt and can't easily run away once spotted.
Wins: DsWz(6), DDNe(4), HuIE(5), HuFE(4), MiBe(3)

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice