How do people manage their inventory?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 21st November 2013, 13:45

How do people manage their inventory?

Code:
Ismer the Destroyer (High Elf Ice Elementalist)    Turns: 40445, Time: 04:49:44

HP 110/110       AC  7     Str  9      XL: 17   Next: 29%
MP  44/47        EV 20     Int 30      God: Sif Muna [******]
Gold 1463        SH 13     Dex 19      Spells: 12 memorised,  3 levels left

Res.Fire  : . . .   See Invis. : +   F - staff of conjuration
Res.Cold  : . . .   Warding    : .   u - +0 robe of Prudence {Dex+2 Int+3}
Life Prot.: + . .   Conserve   : .   f - +2 buckler of the Lost Ghosts {rPois rN+ SInv}
Res.Poison: +       Res.Corr.  : .   V - +1 horned helmet {Int+3}
Res.Elec. : .       Clarity    : +   t - +0 cloak
Sust.Abil.: . .     Spirit.Shd : .   i - +0 pair of dwarf gloves
Res.Mut.  : .       Stasis     : .   q - +0 pair of boots
Res.Rott. : .       Flight     : .   J - amulet of clarity
Saprovore : . . .                    I - ring of magical power
                                     w - ring of see invisible

@: quite resistant to hostile enchantments, quite stealthy
A: mutation resistance 1
a: Channel Energy, Forget Spell, Renounce Religion
}: 1/15 runes: decaying

You are on level 1 of the Spider Nest.
You worship Sif Muna.
Sif Muna is exalted by your worship.
You are not hungry.

You have visited 6 branches of the dungeon, and seen 35 of its levels.
You have visited 1 bazaar.

You have collected 3369 gold pieces.
You have spent 1906 gold pieces at shops.

Inventory:

Hand weapons
 n - a +4,+1 dagger of freezing
 v - a +0 blowgun
 y - a +0,+1 orcish flail of holy wrath
Missiles
 D - a curare-tipped needle
Armour
 f - the +2 buckler of the Lost Ghosts (worn) {rPois rN+ SInv}
   (You acquired it on level 2 of the Swamp)   

It protects you from poison.
   It protects you from negative energy.
   It enhances your eyesight.
 i - a +0 pair of dwarven gloves (worn)
 q - a +0 pair of boots (worn)
 t - a +0 cloak (worn)
 u - the +0 robe of Prudence (worn) {Dex+2 Int+3}
   (You found it on level 4 of the Swamp)   

It affects your intelligence (+3).
   It affects your dexterity (+2).
 A - the +0 helmet of the Harvest {rElec Stlth+}
   (You acquired it on level 10 of the Dungeon)   

It insulates you from electricity.
   It makes you much more stealthy.
 V - a +1 horned helmet of intelligence (worn)
Magical devices
 b - a wand of disintegration (14)
 g - a wand of cold {zapped: 7}
 l - a wand of fire {zapped: 3}
 p - a wand of paralysis (8)
 U - a wand of digging {zapped: 2}
 W - a wand of heal wounds (5)
Comestibles
 a - an apple
 c - 6 bread rations
Scrolls
 d - a scroll of blinking
 j - a scroll of fear
 C - a scroll of fog
 E - 5 scrolls of recharging
 H - 6 scrolls of remove curse
 T - 8 scrolls of teleportation
 Y - a scroll of summoning
 Z - a scroll of magic mapping
Jewellery
 h - an uncursed amulet of the gourmand
 w - a ring of see invisible (left hand)
 z - an uncursed ring of protection from magic
 I - a ring of magical power (right hand)
 J - an amulet of clarity (around neck)
 N - an uncursed ring of protection from cold
Potions
 e - a potion of speed
 m - 3 potions of curing
 r - 2 potions of magic
 s - 2 potions of brilliance
 B - 2 potions of resistance
 L - a potion of invisibility
 M - 2 potions of restore abilities
 Q - a potion of agility
 S - 4 potions of heal wounds
Magical staves
 F - an uncursed staff of conjuration (weapon)

This happens almost every time I play as a caster. During mid-game my inventory is packed with things and very soon I find myself picking up a meat makes me burdened. I invest Str 2~3 points to alleviate this problem, but some people seem to do fine with 7 or 8 Str.

Right now this character is trying to clear Spider. What kind of items that I have right now should I stash away?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 21st November 2013, 13:57

Re: How do people manage their inventory?

Don't have more than 3-4 rations, don't have more than 1 potion of restore abilities (I always have 0 before extended autoinscribing the potion with "autopickup_exceptions += potions? of (cure mutation|restore)" ), don't have more than 3 scrolls of teleportation, 0 scrolls of recharging (or did you find all 5 in the spider? even then I just leave them on the ground), 1 potion of magic

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 21st November 2013, 14:05

I wouldn't carry quite so many wands. All you really need are digging, heal wounds and teleportation.

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 21st November 2013, 14:24

?remove curse is another that I wouldn't carry around.

Carrying wand of fire as a backup makes some sense, but why do you need wand of cold as IE?

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 21st November 2013, 14:39

Yeah, pretty much what everyone else said. I generally try to keep my potions/scrolls at:

1 blinking
2 teleport
1 fear
1 fog
1 RC (convenience, not need)
1 ID (convenience, not need)

1 speed
1 might
1 agility
1 brilliance
2 heal wounds
2 curing
1 invis

For precious consumables like enchant foo scrolls, recharging, and cure mutation, I leave them where they are until I have need of them. Otherwise, if I notice that I'm getting beyond my minimums in a few potion/scroll categories, I drop the excess in a corner, or if I'm feeling compulsive, a stash.

For wands, I usually keep only the one best hex wand I get until I get to the point in the dungeon where things vulnerable to low-Evo hex wands aren't dangerous, at which point I drop all hex wands and turn off autopickup on them. I keep all damage wands until I have an easy way to deal with jellies, at which point I drop and turn off auto-pickup for any wand that is less effective than a spell I can use frequently. Generally by the end of Orc I'm down to just wand of fire and wand of cold, but if I already cast the same bolt spell, I'll usually drop that wand as well. By late game, I try to hold digging, disintegration, heal wounds, teleport, haste, and between 0 and 2 of (wand of fire|cold), depending.

As a side note, there's no reason to carry around the helmet of rElec. Against the relatively infrequent sitations where you would swap in the helmet, you can just run off and backtrack to it. Also, if you aren't wearing amulet of the gourmand, you can drop it. It doesn't work well as a swap.

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 21st November 2013, 14:55

In addition to stuff already mentioned (most of the wands shouldn't be in your inventory, there's no reason to even pick up restore abilities unless you are a deep dwarf), there's absolutely no point in carrying those weapons still. At XL17, they are garbage, unless you have sufficient skill invested in them, in which case you should be carrying something better than a simple flail. Even for tabbing goblins, there are tons of better weapons lying on the floor by now.

Also I'm utterly baffled that you have both A) 5 scrolls of recharging and B) a wand of heal wounds with only half charges in your inventory at the same time. I'm all for carrying recharging around with you, but if you aren't using it what good does it do?

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 22nd November 2013, 00:40

Lasty wrote:Also, if you aren't wearing amulet of the gourmand, you can drop it. It doesn't work well as a swap.

It doesn't work terribly as a swap either, though. I've used it that way several times: keep conservation on until I'm no longer full+, then swap to gourmand for a while until I can get good nutrition and eat back up to engorged (or until I have to swap back to conservation early to protect my consumables), then back to conservation.

Amulets are pretty light anyways: dropping it is mainly a concern when your problem is 52 inventory slots, not when it's your encumbrance limit.

Barkeep

Post Friday, 22nd November 2013, 17:27

Hurkyl wrote:
Lasty wrote:Also, if you aren't wearing amulet of the gourmand, you can drop it. It doesn't work well as a swap.

It doesn't work terribly as a swap either, though. I've used it that way several times: keep conservation on until I'm no longer full+, then swap to gourmand for a while until I can get good nutrition and eat back up to engorged (or until I have to swap back to conservation early to protect my consumables), then back to conservation.

Amulets are pretty light anyways: dropping it is mainly a concern when your problem is 52 inventory slots, not when it's your encumbrance limit.

Gourmand is not that useful for the vast majority of situations, anyway. Healers can get some mileage out of it, as can characters who rely a lot on magic and have access to channeling. Otherwise... I wear it if nothing else has spawned, but more as a convenience than anything else. (Sweet, I beat the game with 24 uneaten rations, rather than 18! Thanks, amulet of the gourmand!) Swapping it in to get to engorged then taking it off is a lot of trouble for nothing really gained, unless you had some incredibly strange/bad luck with food and got mutated into really fast metabolism or something. This is especially true because (for quite some time now) gourmand effect has had a delay so it takes a while to kick in after you have put it on.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 22nd November 2013, 17:31

and into wrote:Healers can get some mileage out of it, as can characters who rely a lot on magic and have access to channeling.

Channeling is not required IMHO. When you spam high hunger spells or invisibility or haste, the amulet is very useful.

Barkeep

Post Friday, 22nd November 2013, 19:00

Sandman25 wrote:
and into wrote:Healers can get some mileage out of it, as can characters who rely a lot on magic and have access to channeling.

Channeling is not required IMHO. When you spam high hunger spells or invisibility or haste, the amulet is very useful.

Sure, it is also nice if you are spamming spells that are very high level relative to one's Int and spellcasting. I just have a hard time imagining that there are many occasions when gourmand is worth swapping in and out a bunch.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice