Lich Form...

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Dis Charger

Post Sunday, 17th November 2013, 19:29

Lich Form...

I read here and there on this forum a lot of things about Necromutation...

But I'm not wondering about how good/useful/gamebreaker this spell is (at least for this thread ;) )
I want to have a try by myself

My question is, what build(s) would you recommand for a character who wants to go with a Lich Form endgame ? How would you play it (spells, melee...) ?
Thx
Online stats
Fastest Hell runes (enter Hell branch -> get the rune)
Icy : 56 / Iron : 126 / Obsidian : 215 / Bone : 125

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 17th November 2013, 19:41

Re: Lich Form...

I enjoyed the spell with SpEn of Ash who has very easy early game and has good aptitudes for Necromutation (+3 and -1).

Edit. Some reasoning:
1) Necromutation makes character extremely vulnerable to Confusion, Ash solves this problem
2) Necromutation solves hunger and spell hunger problem so character with strict diet (Sp) who spams high level spells without high Int benefit the most
3) +6 AC is more valuable for species with low AC
Last edited by Sandman25 on Sunday, 17th November 2013, 19:53, edited 1 time in total.

For this message the author Sandman25 has received thanks:
mopl

Dis Charger

Post Sunday, 17th November 2013, 19:50

Sandman25 wrote:I enjoyed the spell with SpEn of Ash who has very easy early game and has good aptitudes for Necromutation (+3 and -1).

Erf...
I would like to avoid this build I already played more than an once...
Anything else ?
Online stats

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 17th November 2013, 19:55

DE with foo storm is very strong because it has good aptitudes for Necromutation and stops caring about torment. Tomb becomes very easy.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 18th November 2013, 00:01

Well if you really want to try necromutation, you should probably worship kiku and ask for the necronomicon, that way you don't run the risk of not finding necromutation.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 18th November 2013, 00:17

If you want to experience necromutation, you could just play a mummy.
mikee_ has won 166 times in 396 games (41.92%): 4xDSFi 4xMDFi 3xDDCK 3xDDEE 3xHOPr 2xDDHe 2xDDNe 2xDSBe 2xKeAE 2xMfCr 2xMfSt 2xMiAr 2xMiBe 2xNaTm 1xCeAr 1xCeAs 1xCeBe 1xCeEn 1xCeFE 1xCePa 1xCeTm 1xCeWz 1xDDAs 1xDDCr 1xDDHu 1xDDTm 1xDENe 1xDEWz

For this message the author mikee has received thanks: 2
duvessa, MDvedh

Barkeep

Post Monday, 18th November 2013, 01:31

some12fat2move wrote:Well if you really want to try necromutation, you should probably worship kiku and ask for the necronomicon, that way you don't run the risk of not finding necromutation.

True, although alternately, since it is only a late game spell, you could go Sif, pick up some necro and transmutation skill levels in mid game, and be reasonably sure that you'll get it by the time it would actually make sense to cast it. Also with Sif you will actually be guaranteed to make good use of the spell, because hilarious channeling abuse is (IMO) the main draw of the spell, with torment/miasma immunities and the other random buffs also being very helpful of course.

Anyway: OP, if trying out necromutation is what you want to do, go for it, but I will throw out a few disclaimers.

Necromutation has a very large opportunity cost, and carries significant drawbacks, not least of which being that you can't use Death's Door or Revivification (both of which also appear in Necronomicon) while you are in lich-form. For most characters that have access to necromutation and could reasonably make use of that spell, at all, either B.'s Rev or DD is a better choice.

To really take full advantage of Necromutation and make it worthwhile, you need to be doing extended, and you need to have clarity, a wand of heal wounds, some scrolls of recharge (preferably with conservation), and some method of abusable channeling on a character who can really make use of quick mana recharge (generally, either blaster- or summoning-heavy builds). So Necromutation is a very narrow spell. It can have a very large impact on your game, so in that sense I suppose it is "powerful," but it is very far from necessary even for 15-rune.

A lot of very good (better than me) players disdain it, because it is basically this really expensive way to 1.) cheese channeling and 2.) make extended more like the rest of the game, rather than adapting your play style to some of the threats that are much more significant in extended than regular game. (Also some people / guides vastly overestimate the usefulness of the spell, when in fact getting it is a textbook example of false economy on most characters.) In my experience, lich-form also tends to be pretty tedious, and going for necromutate late game on more than a couple of characters will get old very quick. That being said, I don't think there's anything wrong with trying it out, and I have undeniably had fun taking some ridiculous lich-form casters through ziggurats before. But that's the kind of spell it is—it is not something to shoot for in (overwhelmingly) the majority of games you'll play. Also, you could have an otherwise perfect character for the spell, ready to go, but no wand of heal wounds drops, which would make using the spell a lot extremely risky for most characters. So aside from everything else, it is also a finicky spell.

But, if you want to do this, my advice would be to build up a good character, with emphasis on either conjurations or summoning, and just completely ignore that necromutation exists for nearly all of the game. Use some very late game experience to get Necromutation online (like Zot 1 to 4, Vaults:5, plus Slime will probably do it) and then go into extended. Don't bother with this unless you have all those things I listed above (wand of heal wounds etc. etc.). Also note that in many cases your character will get much better returns putting all that experience somewhere else, as even in a best-case scenario necromutation is only going to really pan out for you (if at all) a good long while after you start pumping the relevant skills and get it castable.

Since you are already setting this up to be a bit of a scumming-type game by going for necromutation in first place, something like Kiku --> Ash (get necronomicon, switch to ash for skill boosts, also guaranteed clarity) or Kiku --> Sif (for powerful channeling) might be your best shot. In the latter case you could get pain brand on Kiku and gamble on Sif for necromutation, that might be a bit risky but should be fine so long as you make the switch before you are too late in the game and you raised your necro skill level a good amount under kiku (as you should do, anyway).

Again, none of the above is the sort of thing I'd recommend actually doing in general. I only offer that advice in this specific context, for a case where wanting to try out necromutation is more important than winning, or maximizing your chances of survival, or building a really strong and well-rounded character.

For this message the author and into has received thanks: 3
mopl, rchandra, tompliss

Dis Charger

Post Monday, 18th November 2013, 14:23

I'm not a very good player but I managed to win some games (a dozen ?), some of them with 15 runes. My main builds were pure melee (Oka/Trog -> TSO), stabbers, and only one spellcaster (Firestorming DE). None of them ever used Necromutation, so I know that as and into said, it's far from necessary

The character I would like to build is a spellcaster designed for extended and Ziggs. I think that it's the point I forgot to mention in this topic...
I'm pretty sure it will not be the character I'll enjoy the most, but as said, I want to have a try by myself !
Online stats

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 19th November 2013, 05:21

mikee wrote:If you want to experience necromutation, you could just play a mummy.

You could, but in the early game it's nice to have non-horrible aptitudes and no rF-. Torment immunity and rN+++ are great and all, but not a high priority on D:2. Potions are also somewhat useful for the 99.9% of the game you aren't in lichform.

I'm not saying that necromut is great, but I've never understood the "lol just play a mummy" thing. I guess once you're XL27 and all kitted out they're similar-ish, but it'll be way easier to get there with some other species...

... unless I'm missing something?
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 19th November 2013, 05:24

njvack wrote:I'm not saying that necromut is great, but I've never understood the "lol just play a mummy" thing.
It's a helpful way to convey that necromutation is a really bad spell, which it is.

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 19th November 2013, 05:49

duvessa wrote:
njvack wrote:I'm not saying that necromut is great, but I've never understood the "lol just play a mummy" thing.
It's a helpful way to convey that necromutation is a really bad spell, which it is.

Actually, it is an opaque way to convey that necromutation is a bad spell, and thus not very helpful even if the point it is making is valid. Besides, the original post pretty much already said, "Lots of people say necromutation is bad, though some people swear by it—but putting that question aside, how does one go about using lich form, cause I haven't tried it and would like to?" Pointing out that necromutation is indeed bad is not entirely irrelevant, but just leaving it at that is a bit beside the point, seeing as how no one (including OP) was trying to say that necromutation is a great spell.

EDIT: Well okay, Sandman25 offered some faint praise for a specific situation in which he thought necromutation makes sense. I still don't think necromutation makes sense even in that situation, but w/e. I don't think anyone in the thread needed cold water splashed on their faces, as to the truth about necromutation, is all I'm saying.

For this message the author and into has received thanks:
mopl

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 19th November 2013, 05:56

I am being serious.

Imagine that there were a spell called felidform that does exactly what it sounds like, and someone asked you which characters would be good for trying felidform out.
mikee_ has won 166 times in 396 games (41.92%): 4xDSFi 4xMDFi 3xDDCK 3xDDEE 3xHOPr 2xDDHe 2xDDNe 2xDSBe 2xKeAE 2xMfCr 2xMfSt 2xMiAr 2xMiBe 2xNaTm 1xCeAr 1xCeAs 1xCeBe 1xCeEn 1xCeFE 1xCePa 1xCeTm 1xCeWz 1xDDAs 1xDDCr 1xDDHu 1xDDTm 1xDENe 1xDEWz

For this message the author mikee has received thanks: 4
adityarajbhatt, battaile, dck, duvessa

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 19th November 2013, 06:02

I have never died with a character who has Necromutation and I've seen even very experienced players die in extended when Necromutation could easily save them because of torment. So either I am a genius player or Necromutation is not as bad as some players tell. Why do you care so much about potions (in other words, which potions do you really need in extended)? How many times do you use Death's Door in a typical game? How many times do you use Borg Revivification?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 19th November 2013, 06:11

mikee wrote:I am being serious.

Imagine that there were a spell called felidform that does exactly what it sounds like, and someone asked you which characters would be good for trying felidform out.

Sorry, I have just checked your latest game with 15 runes.
  Code:
Your Spells              Type           Power        Failure   Level  Hunger
b - Blink                 Tloc           N/A          1%          2    N/A
c - Necromutation         Trmt/Necr      #########.   8%          8    N/A
d - Airstrike             Air            #########.   0%          4    N/A
f - Chain Lightning       Conj/Air       #########.   1%          8    N/A
g - Apportation           Tloc           ######....   1%          1    N/A
h - Cure Poison           Pois           #######...   1%          2    N/A
i - Summon Butterflies    Summ           #####....    1%          1    N/A
k - Sublimation of Blood  Necr           #########.   0%          2    N/A
r - Regeneration          Chrm/Necr      #########.   0%          3    N/A
s - Swiftness             Chrm/Air       #########.   0%          2    N/A
z - Deflect Missiles      Chrm/Air       #########.   1%          6    N/A
D - Death's Door          Chrm/Necr      #########.   10%         8    N/A
H - Haste                 Chrm           ########.    1%          6    N/A
T - Tornado               Air            #########.   1%          9    N/A
X - Borgnjor's Revivific  Necr           #########.   1%          7    N/A

Cast: Shock             |       |       |    18 |    35 |     5 |       |       |       |       ||    58
       Airstrike         |       |       |     3 |   115 |   169 |   157 |    82 |    86 |   172 ||   784
       Apportation       |       |       |       |     1 |     7 |     3 |     6 |     1 |    26 ||    44
       Lightning Bolt    |       |       |       |       |    35 |    89 |    47 |    26 |       ||   197
       Poisonous Cloud   |       |       |       |       |    21 |    21 |    25 |    10 |       ||    77
       Cure Poison       |       |       |       |       |     5 |     9 |       |     2 |     5 ||    21
       Poison Arrow      |       |       |       |       |    15 |    74 |    83 |    94 |   190 ||   456
       Repel Missiles    |       |       |       |       |       |    57 |   119 |    45 |    29 ||   250
       Sticky Flame      |       |       |       |       |       |    95 |    23 |       |       ||   118
       Swiftness         |       |       |       |       |       |       |    70 |    19 |   361 ||   450
       Chain Lightning   |       |       |       |       |       |       |    27 |    41 |   136 ||   204
       Tornado           |       |       |       |       |       |       |     3 |     7 |   231 ||   241
       Deflect Missiles  |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |     1 |   194 ||   195
       Haste             |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |    57 ||    57
       Dispel Undead     |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |   259 ||   259
       Necromutation     |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |   256 ||   256
       Regeneration      |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |   212 ||   212
       Summon Butterflie |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |    83 ||    83
       Sublimation of Bl |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |    45 ||    45
       Blink             |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |    13 ||    13
       Control Teleport  |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |     1 ||     1
 Abil: Fly               |       |     1 |    18 |    23 |    19 |       |       |       |       ||    61
       End Transformatio |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |    49 ||    49

Please don't insist Necromutation is a bad spell.

Edit. Sorry if I misread your post.

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 19th November 2013, 06:48

Sandman25: Of course you never exactly *want* to cast revivification or (generally) DD. But when the situation calls for it, you are very very glad to have them. And also very glad that you aren't in lich-form, which would require activating the "end transformation" ability first, which goes quite a ways toward defeating the purpose of having an "oh shit" spell like B.'s Rev or DD in the first place. By contrast, if you are going to get necromutation, you are probably going to want to have it active a lot and try to leverage it as much as possible. So I don't think the "how many times do you cast it?" metric really applies in this case, simply due to differences in the nature of these spells.

mikee wrote:I am being serious.

Imagine there was a god called Xom, and someone posted in advice asking for advice about how best to play a game worshiping Xom....

Telling someone Foo is a bad choice when they ask, "Is Foo good?" is totally legit. Telling someone that Foo is bad, when they've already acknowledged that fact, and have simply expressed an idle interest in trying it out nevertheless, reads (to me) like someone who is just being kind of pedantic.

Granted, you didn't simply say that necromutation is bad—you suggested trying out a mummy. But I think for most players the experience of playing a mummy is going to be really different from getting necromutation very late in the game. And the whole point of the OP asking about this (and he made his intent crystal clear) is that he wants the experience of playing a late game, lich-form caster—*not* that he wants to 1.) play a mummy, nor 2.) apply optimal strategies and make the most strictly effective game-winning character possible.

I think that necromutation is often overrated. Wanting to "bend the stick the other way" is justified, but if you take that too far you just end up being contrarian for its own sake. Pushing that point in this particular thread is misguided, since the question is not, "What is optimal?" but, "How do I try this thing out, despite the fact that it might not be optimal?"

I mean, all of the experienced players on this thread, who I'm pretty sure have a good deal of experience with necromutation, could actually be helpful and share their experiences about how to go about making a character who can use necromutation well (even if it isn't "optimal"), setting aside the fact that the spell is probably not the best choice in many cases. I gave my two cents but, while I hope my advice was good, I doubt it was so good as to be "the last word" on the matter.

For this message the author and into has received thanks:
mopl

Dis Charger

Post Tuesday, 19th November 2013, 09:50

Thanks to and into for reminding, once again, the purpose of the topic ;)

I'm somewhat surprized to read, in almost every post where the word "Necromutation" is mentionned, comments saying how bad a spell it is (that's also a reason that makes me want to experience it)...
Besides it, almost every time I spec an extended spellcaster on Webtiles, he's in Lich-form... Amusing for a so bad spell !

Anyway, I've had some advice about what type of character to go to try Necromutation.
I'll go for a Conjuration-based spellcaster and gamble about finding a Necromicon ! And if I don't find any, I'll wait for the next game :twisted:
Online stats

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 19th November 2013, 09:54

If you just wanna mess around with that spell you can try a centaur archer of kiku. Max your bow and then get necromutation. It's not much different then centaur hunter without necromutation, but centaur ranged combat is so strong that you should be able to experiment with stuff rather safely.

It's been a while since i dumped kiku but i seem to remember that it wasn't fun at all. You might wanna look into it if you plan on doing it, could save you bad surprise.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 19th November 2013, 13:46

My impression is that "oh shit" situation almost never happens with Necromutation so it is not a valid argument. Seriously, there is really low chance to lose 150+ hp in a single turn when you are a lich (never experienced it despite landing in the middle of hellion island) and every experienced player can cancel necromutation in advance, not when having 20 HP already. AC boost helps with conventional damage, smiting hellfire is cast by fragile Hellions and non-smiting hellfire can be easily dealt with by Summon Butterflies because you don't care about those Tormentors and Ice Fiends that happen in be in your LoS also.
On the other hand I won with less than 15 runes with character without necromutation (but with Borg Revivification) because of those "oh shit" situations. When you are in Hell and lose 75% in 1-2 turns, Death's Door is not an option so it would not help me. Borg Revivification is better but I cast it several times already (it would not be needed if I had Necromutation) and it looked too dangerous to continue this way.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 19th November 2013, 14:38

Sandman25 wrote:My impression is that "oh shit" situation almost never happens with Necromutation so it is not a valid argument. Seriously, there is really low chance to lose 150+ hp in a single turn when you are a lich (never experienced it despite landing in the middle of hellion island) and every experienced player can cancel necromutation in advance, not when having 20 HP already. AC boost helps with conventional damage, smiting hellfire is cast by fragile Hellions and non-smiting hellfire can be easily dealt with by Summon Butterflies because you don't care about those Tormentors and Ice Fiends that happen in be in your LoS also.
On the other hand I won with less than 15 runes with character without necromutation (but with Borg Revivification) because of those "oh shit" situations. When you are in Hell and lose 75% in 1-2 turns, Death's Door is not an option so it would not help me. Borg Revivification is better but I cast it several times already (it would not be needed if I had Necromutation) and it looked too dangerous to continue this way.

@??hellion
hellion (2)

A frightful demon, covered in roaring hellfire.
Speed: 12 | HD: 7 | HP: 26-52 | AC/EV: 5/10 | Damage: 10 | demonic, doors, !sil | Resistances: magic(65), hellfire, fire+++, poison, rot, neg+++, torm | Vulnerabilities: cold, drown, holy++ | XP: 602 | Spells: hellfire burst (3d15) | Size: Medium | Intelligence: high.

A very dangerous greater demon. Hellfire, hellfire, and more hellfire, and moves enough faster than you that it often double hellfires.

Hmm, last I checked necromutation didn't do anything about hellfire...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 19th November 2013, 14:45

rebthor wrote:Hmm, last I checked necromutation didn't do anything about hellfire...

Yes, Hellion (smiting Hellfire) is fragile, it dies in 1-2 attacks. Compare with Hell Sentinel (non-smiting Hellfire).

My point was that when you are a lich with decent defense the only damage that can push you into "oh shit" situation is hellfire and even then you have easier time vs hellfire than a character without Necromutation who should care about torment also.
Last edited by Sandman25 on Tuesday, 19th November 2013, 14:47, edited 1 time in total.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 19th November 2013, 14:47

Sandman25 wrote:even then you have easier time vs hellfire than a character without Necromutation

Not sure I follow. Why?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 19th November 2013, 14:48

Sandman25 wrote:non-smiting hellfire can be easily dealt with by Summon Butterflies because you don't care about those Tormentors and Ice Fiends that happen in be in your LoS also

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 19th November 2013, 17:15

I think what he's trying to say is "Because you have nullified many of your other threats by being in lich form, hellfire presents less of a threat for a necromutated character because you can use your available tools to deal with hellfire threats first and foremost without having having other threats of equal measure to distract from them"

I personally thing necromutation isn't an awful spell, just not worth the investment to go out of your way for if you aren't already doing the whole necromancy/transmutation thing. It's certainly less awful than being a mummy, (Get stat-rotted as a mummy, tough! As a necromutating non-mummy, end transformation, drink potion, cast necromutation again, no big whoop) the best part of necromutation is that *you don't have to be in lich form all the time* which is a powerful factor in and of itself (Particularly for a spell which provides both benefits and drawbacks)

What no-one should ever do is make necromutation their end game, it's not a core mechanic around which you should focus your build, as long as you treat it like a buff which is helpful in certain situations (like deflect missiles), and you are always aware of it's limitations and drawbacks, it's fine. It's also too expensive to train necromancy and transmutations for *unless you were going to do that anyway*

That being said, my response for "what character should I try to play if I'm wanting to check out necromutation" is "one that would be training a bunch of necromancy and/or transmutation anyway, preferably one that focuses on at least one of the two of those and spellcasting as it's primary mechanic"
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 19th November 2013, 18:01

Siegurt wrote:I think what he's trying to say is "Because you have nullified many of your other threats by being in lich form, hellfire presents less of a threat for a necromutated character because you can use your available tools to deal with hellfire threats first and foremost without having having other threats of equal measure to distract from them"

Thank you, yes, this is what I meant. Also I find it very helpful to prevent mutations so I don't care about Cacodemons and Neqoxecs. As a lich I can spend all my potions of curing on healing rotting from mutations because there is no other use of the potion: I cannot be
1) confused (I am constantly wearing amulet of clarity or am with Ash)
2) poisoned (rPois+++ is not even close to rPois+, Greed Death is a joke)
3) rotting

Being able to fix current mutations (I find potions of beneficial mutations more often than not) is a nice bonus.

That being said, my response for "what character should I try to play if I'm wanting to check out necromutation" is "one that would be training a bunch of necromancy and/or transmutation anyway, preferably one that focuses on at least one of the two of those and spellcasting as it's primary mechanic"

To me it's similar to training defense - when I am happy with my offense, I am working on defense. Early game it is Dodging/Armour, middle game it is Fighting, late game it is Necromutation.

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 19th November 2013, 18:25

However you prefer to have a wank in extended for thousands of turns is your business, but don't pretend it's actually being actively useful or helping you win in any way because by the point you don't care about anything other than sources of mutations in post-end your game has been already over for a long time, you just refuse to win.
All mummyform does is stopping torment at a ridiculously high price and with bare minimum notions of positioning torment is completely irrelevant to begin with.
It is in no way a layer defense and it is in no way worth getting over more hps, more AC or more EV.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 19th November 2013, 18:41

dck wrote:However you prefer to have a wank in extended for thousands of turns is your business, but don't pretend it's actually being actively useful or helping you win in any way because by the point you don't care about anything other than sources of mutations in post-end your game has been already over for a long time, you just refuse to win.
All mummyform does is stopping torment at a ridiculously high price and with bare minimum notions of positioning torment is completely irrelevant to begin with.
It is in no way a layer defense and it is in no way worth getting over more hps, more AC or more EV.

Could you please take a look at my SpEn?
See below my situation on turn 69396. Why training Necromancy/Transmutation is bad here? And no, I cannot yet win, I don't have 3 runes ;)
Of course I could win later with 3 runes but I wanted 15 (never been in extended with Sp or En or Ash yet). As you can see I entered Pan on 107504 turn and won on 121805, I am sure "wank in extended for thousands of turns" does not apply to the game.

Code:
HP 111/111       AC 13     Str  9      XL: 23   Next:  7%
MP  47/47        EV 37     Int 23      God: Ashenzari [******]
Gold 1154        SH 19     Dex 19      Spells: 15 memorised,  7 levels left

Res.Fire  : . . .   See Invis. : +   e - +7,+5 quick blade (pain) (curse)
Res.Cold  : . . .   Warding    : .   c - +3 mottled dragon armour (curse)
Life Prot.: . . .   Conserve   : +   p - +1 buckler (curse)
Res.Poison: +       Res.Corr.  : +   X - +1 cap (curse)
Res.Elec. : +       Clarity    : +   H - +2 dwarf cloak {rCorr, Cons} (curse)
Sust.Abil.: + .     Spirit.Shd : .   (gloves unavailable)
Res.Mut.  : .       Stasis     : .   (boots unavailable)
Res.Rott. : .       Ctrl.Telep.: .   b - cursed amulet of resist corrosion
Saprovore : . . .   Flight     : .   C - cursed ring of sustain abilities
                                     D - cursed ring of Pneeg {rElec rPois}

@: studying Dodging, very quick, extraordinarily resistant to hostile
enchantments, uncannily stealthy
A: unfitting armour, see invisible, herbivore 3, speed 3, slow metabolism 2, Str
+2, Int +1, Dex +1
a: Scrying, Transfer Knowledge, Renounce Religion
}: 1/15 runes: barnacled

You are on level 23 of the Dungeon.

Skills:
 - Level 8,8 Fighting
 - Level 7,7(12,2) Short Blades
 - Level 1,1 Throwing
 - Level 19,7(23,2) Dodging
 + Level 23,1(26,4) Stealth
 - Level 16,5 Stabbing
 - Level 6,2(9,3) Shields
 - Level 8,8 Traps
 + Level 22,3 Spellcasting
 - Level 2,1(5,5) Conjurations
 - Level 15,1(19,0) Hexes
 - Level 11,8(16,0) Charms
 - Level 2,1(5,5) Summonings
 - Level 9,4(13,8) Necromancy
 - Level 7,1(11,6) Transmutations
 - Level 3,3(7,2) Ice Magic
 - Level 1,1(3,7) Air Magic
 - Level 6,5(11,0) Earth Magic
 - Level 16,2(20,1) Evocations

You have 7 spell levels left.
You know the following spells:

Your Spells              Type           Power        Failure   Level  Hunger
a - Flight                Chrm/Air       #######...   1%          3    None
b - Ensorcelled Hibernat  Hex/Ice        #######      0%          2    None
c - Confuse               Hex            ########.    0%          3    None
d - Deflect Missiles      Chrm/Air       #######...   8%          6    ##.....
e - Lee's Rapid Deconstr  Erth           #######...   1%          5    None
f - Enslavement           Hex            ########.    0%          4    None
g - Invisibility          Hex            ########.    1%          6    ##.....
h - Dazzling Spray        Conj/Hex       #######..    1%          3    None
i - Silence               Hex/Air        #######...   1%          5    None
j - Passwall              Trmt/Erth      #######...   1%          3    None
k - Mass Confusion        Hex            ########..   1%          6    ##.....
m - Abjuration            Summ           #######...   1%          3    None
n - Apportation           Tloc           #####.....   1%          1    None
r - Regeneration          Chrm/Necr      ########..   0%          3    None
H - Haste                 Chrm           ########.    1%          6    ##.....

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 19th November 2013, 18:48

I used Necromutation occasionally in a recent 5-rune game. This was a DsTm of Kiku so I really did already have uses for transmutations and necromancy, and no real use for the pain brand (though I should have actually branded something anyway, I found a second necronomicon long before I wanted any L7+ necromancy spells). I cast it 9 times from xl25+, I believe mostly for a damage boost that didn't disable wands (blade hands) or dodging (dragon form) and at least once on the orbrun to avoid a tormentor. Not sure if miscasts are counted in that or not.

http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/rchandra/mo ... 105357.txt

edit: looks like he orbran Tomb, so I might have used it there too. Though kiku already blocks a lot of what necromutation does, there.
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 19th November 2013, 18:55

rchandra wrote:I used Necromutation occasionally in a recent 5-rune game. This was a DsTm of Kiku so I really did already have uses for transmutations and necromancy, and no real use for the pain brand (though I should have actually branded something anyway, I found a second necronomicon long before I wanted any L7+ necromancy spells). I cast it 9 times from xl25+, I believe mostly for a damage boost that didn't disable wands (blade hands) or dodging (dragon form) and at least once on the orbrun to avoid a tormentor. Not sure if miscasts are counted in that or not.

http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/rchandra/mo ... 105357.txt

I think I know why you decided to use the spell.

Code:
112313 | Zig:4    | Huge Dmg: 126 dmg
112340 | Zig:4    | Reached skill level 8 in Evocations
112496 | Zig:5    | Entered Level 5 of a ziggurat
112556 | Zig:6    | Entered Level 6 of a ziggurat
112579 | Zig:6    | Reached skill level 19 in Spellcasting
112604 | Zig:6    | Learned a level 8 spell: Necromutation

The spell is not especially useful in 5 runes game indeed.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 19th November 2013, 19:11

Sandman25 wrote:
dck wrote:However you prefer to have a wank in extended for thousands of turns is your business, but don't pretend it's actually being actively useful or helping you win in any way because by the point you don't care about anything other than sources of mutations in post-end your game has been already over for a long time, you just refuse to win.

Could you please take a look at my SpEn?
See below my situation on turn 69396. Why training Necromancy/Transmutation is bad here? And no, I cannot yet win, I don't have 3 runes ;)
Of course I could win later with 3 runes but I wanted 15 (never been in extended with Sp or En or Ash yet). As you can see I entered Pan on 107504 turn and won on 121805, I am sure "wank in extended for thousands of turns" does not apply to the game.

Training necromancy and transmutations is bad here because you don't need them. You have no spells that rely on spellpower that would really benefit. I guess you'd get a minor benefit to passwall but you're better off training earth in that case to get a nice boost to LRD. Instead of training two useless skills, you could train armour or fighting to make your character not die when it does get hit.

I do suboptimal stuff all the time, but I don't claim that it's optimal.

For this message the author rebthor has received thanks:
dck

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 19th November 2013, 19:25

rebthor wrote: Instead of training two useless skills, you could train armour or fighting to make your character not die when it does get hit.

I expected the answer.
Every level in Armour increases AC of the character by 7/22, that's 3+ levels to get 1 AC, aptitude is -3. Every level in Fighting increases max HP of the character by 2 HP and it already had Fighting 8.8 despite -2 aptitude.

So I was happy with my current offense/defense and had very easy game so I was preparing for game stage when I knew I would have problems. This is optimal. It is suboptimal (or even dangerous) to start training Necromancy and Transmutation in Pan/Hell/Tomb when you already need rTorment.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 19th November 2013, 19:52

Sandman25 wrote:
rebthor wrote: Instead of training two useless skills, you could train armour or fighting to make your character not die when it does get hit.

I expected the answer.
Every level in Armour increases AC of the character by 7/22, that's 3+ levels to get 1 AC, aptitude is -3. Every level in Fighting increases max HP of the character by 2 HP and it already had Fighting 8.8 despite -2 aptitude.

So I was happy with my current offense/defense and had very easy game so I was preparing for game stage when I knew I would have problems. This is optimal. It is suboptimal (or even dangerous) to start training Necromancy and Transmutation in Pan/Hell/Tomb when you already need rTorment.

No, suboptimal is training skills that you have no near immediate use for. Suboptimal is training skills that won't help you get to the part of the game you want to get to. Listen, if you said, "hey I've gotten 3 runes and I'm about to open up Zot, so I'll start training more Tm/Ne to get necro online for hells and pan," that would be OK. Training them now, when you're going to get no benefit and the one benefit you're hoping to get you don't even have memorized and even if you did have it memorized wouldn't even help you at the part of the game you're in is suboptimal.

Edit: especially with your low HP. Good thing that hellfire is blockable by so many other levels of defense...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 19th November 2013, 20:02

rebthor wrote:No, suboptimal is training skills that you have no near immediate use for. Suboptimal is training skills that won't help you get to the part of the game you want to get to. Listen, if you said, "hey I've gotten 3 runes and I'm about to open up Zot, so I'll start training more Tm/Ne to get necro online for hells and pan," that would be OK. Training them now, when you're going to get no benefit and the one benefit you're hoping to get you don't even have memorized and even if you did have it memorized wouldn't even help you at the part of the game you're in is suboptimal.

Edit: especially with your low HP. Good thing that hellfire is blockable by so many other levels of defense...

I got
61868 | D:25 | Gained mutation: Your vision is a little blurry. [a shining eye]
on some previous character so Necromutation (possibly with wizardry) could be useful even in late dungeon.
I am not sure what Hellfire you are talking about but I had Necromutation in comfortable failure range even before ZoT and I did train more Fighting of course.

Edit. Necromutation is great in ZoT also, I hate Death Drakes.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 19th November 2013, 20:20

Now I didn't want to post because I can see Necromut being maybe useful for some dudes in extended (I'm terrible at extended), but Zot, late D? I don't see that, sorry - it's a huge XP waste.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 19th November 2013, 21:14

rebthor wrote:No, suboptimal is training skills that you have no near immediate use for. Suboptimal is training skills that won't help you get to the part of the game you want to get to.

You have to do two things: get to the part of the game you want to get to, and play the part of the game you want to get to.

You need two things to do this: the means to survive until you get to the part of the game you want to get to, and the means to survive the part of the game you want to get to.

You need both of these. Not just one, not just the other. Focusing on short-term gains at the expense of your ability to survive long-term is just as foolish as focusing on long-term gains at the expense of your ability to survive short-term.

If you already have the means to survive until you get to the part of the game you want to get to, then there is very little to be gained by focusing your training to better survive until the part of the game you want to get to. But there may be a lot to gain by focusing your training on being able to survive that part to get to.

As a strawman example, if you had to choose between having a 90% chance of getting to the part of the game you want to get to and a 50% chance of being able to survive that part of the game, and a 95% chance of getting there and a 30% chance of surviving it, you are much, much better off taking the first option.

For this message the author Hurkyl has received thanks:
Sandman25

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 19th November 2013, 21:42

Sandman25 ends up on his own side of these "what's the best play" discussions fairly often. I don't want to caricature his stance, so I hope he'll correct me if I'm mistaken in what I'm about to say: I believe that he is trying to achieve a level of security that exceeds the level of security at which most players can comfortably play and win. It is not enough for him to know that with good tactical play, even a player w/o an amulet of resist mutation can fairly reliably avoid getting mutations; instead, he would rather deal with the known quantity of receiving rot. It is not enough for him to know that with good tactical play (or even just luck) a blaster-type can comfortably kill every enemy in the game and escape with 15 runes without lich form, because with lich form he can evade additional dangers like hunger and torment, and abuse channeling to a greater degree than other characters.

Is it true that in order to avoid categorically these dangers he engages in suboptimal play? I believe the answer is yes, necessarily, because optimal play reduces the risk of these particular dangers to a manageable level and also can make better use of those experience points to simultaneously reduce other dangers. Sandman25, and no doubt others, believe that the dangers posed by the risks that lich form ameliorates cannot be made small enough by careful play without lich form, but I, and clearly many others, disagree.

So, we'll keep having these discussions in the advice forum where most advice-givers will give one piece of advice, and Sandman25 and a minority of other advice-givers will give the opposing advice. Or those of us who habitually disagree with Sandman25 can just mentally add a disclaimer to every advice post from them which says, "this advice most likely contradicts what most advice-giving players see as optimal, and may come with significant non-obvious costs," and stop trying futilely to change his mind.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 19th November 2013, 21:44

Sar wrote:Now I didn't want to post because I can see Necromut being maybe useful for some dudes in extended (I'm terrible at extended), but Zot, late D? I don't see that, sorry - it's a huge XP waste.

You are welcome to suggest something more useful to train for that SpEn in my post above (please not fighting). By the way I forgot to mention Orb of Fire and Fiends/Cacodemons summoned by Ancient Liches, Necromutation really helps.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 19th November 2013, 21:52

Lasty wrote:Sandman25 ends up on his own side of these "what's the best play" discussions fairly often. I don't want to caricature his stance, so I hope he'll correct me if I'm mistaken in what I'm about to say: I believe that he is trying to achieve a level of security that exceeds the level of security at which most players can comfortably play and win. It is not enough for him to know that with good tactical play, even a player w/o an amulet of resist mutation can fairly reliably avoid getting mutations; instead, he would rather deal with the known quantity of receiving rot. It is not enough for him to know that with good tactical play (or even just luck) a blaster-type can comfortably kill every enemy in the game and escape with 15 runes without lich form, because with lich form he can evade additional dangers like hunger and torment, and abuse channeling to a greater degree than other characters.

Is it true that in order to avoid categorically these dangers he engages in suboptimal play? I believe the answer is yes, necessarily, because optimal play reduces the risk of these particular dangers to a manageable level and also can make better use of those experience points to simultaneously reduce other dangers. Sandman25, and no doubt others, believe that the dangers posed by the risks that lich form ameliorates cannot be made small enough by careful play without lich form, but I, and clearly many others, disagree.

So, we'll keep having these discussions in the advice forum where most advice-givers will give one piece of advice, and Sandman25 and a minority of other advice-givers will give the opposing advice. Or those of us who habitually disagree with Sandman25 can just mentally add a disclaimer to every advice post from them which says, "this advice most likely contradicts what most advice-giving players see as optimal, and may come with significant non-obvious costs," and stop trying futilely to change his mind.

Yes, you got most points. I am famous for having "runrest_stop_message += Your repel missiles spell is about to expire", "runrest_stop_message += disappears" and "runrest_stop_message += Your transformation is almost over" which allow me to always have Repel Missiles and Necromutation on while being surrounded by friendly summons. The only point I want to make is that "careful play" helps to Necromutated characters as well and for me personally it's easier to carefully play "suboptimal" character with Necromutation than "optimal" character without Necromutation.

Edit. For the record, I have several 15-rune wins without Necromutation.

Edit2. I changed my signature to avoid confusing new players.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 19th November 2013, 22:04

Sandman25 wrote:You are welcome to suggest something more useful to train for that SpEn in my post above

What about getting more
(please not fighting)

goddamn

Also I think both Borg/DDoor would be immensely more useful in normal game.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 19th November 2013, 22:35

Sar wrote:Also I think both Borg/DDoor would be immensely more useful in normal game.

I don't learn Necromutation if I am not going for extended.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 19th November 2013, 22:52

well most likely sandman's spen getting lichform isnt really that much of a waste of xp because it is a spen, which is the character that needs the least experience of any character in the entire game to win comfortably (only possible contender is DDHe or HOHe, but I would wager spen is still less demanding). And then on top of just being a spen he is worshipping the god who gives you extra xp for free just because (this is part of why I don't like ash for enchanter).

so i mean if you're at the point where you can do literally whatever you want because you don't need a single point of xp on top of what you already have (and this happens in D because spen) then ok whatever get lichform if you want, who cares? Controlled blink would be better (but you're a spen so you can get that just fine anyway because lol spriggan apts) but maybe it didn't exist or something.

i mean he could put all that xp into axes if he wanted and win just fine

For this message the author crate has received thanks:
Sandman25

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 19th November 2013, 23:03

crate wrote:well most likely sandman's spen getting lichform isnt really that much of a waste of xp because it is a spen, which is the character that needs the least experience of any character in the entire game to win comfortably (only possible contender is DDHe or HOHe, but I would wager spen is still less demanding). And then on top of just being a spen he is worshipping the god who gives you extra xp for free just because (this is part of why I don't like ash for enchanter).

so i mean if you're at the point where you can do literally whatever you want because you don't need a single point of xp on top of what you already have (and this happens in D because spen) then ok whatever get lichform if you want, who cares? Controlled blink would be better (but you're a spen so you can get that just fine anyway because lol spriggan apts) but maybe it didn't exist or something.

i mean he could put all that xp into axes if he wanted and win just fine

No, with Axes I would die in extended ;)

Code:
80508 | D:26     | Bought a book of the Warp for 1890 gold pieces
 80515 | D:26     | Learned a level 5 spell: Phase Shift
 80721 | D:20     | Reached skill level 1 in Translocations
 80995 | Vaults:4 | Reached skill level 5 in Translocations
81481 | Vaults:4 | Learned a level 7 spell: Controlled Blink

I don't train skills for non-existing spells even if some players believe I do ;)

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 20th November 2013, 02:30

This is exactly why I didn't bother discussing whether necromutation is a good spell or not. Apparently, though, I did because I talked about it.

I did not post much information at all in this thread because I have been posting on tavern for a long time, mostly with the intention of helping others understand the game and improve their experience of it. Most often, during this time, I think for a long time about the answers to their questions and post a long, thorough response in a polite tone. This tends to be either ignored or met with hostility, of all things. Well one result of these experiences is that I can recognize when an OP is not really interested in my response, and this is one of them. I do know the literal answer to his question, and it is rather long and open-ended. I can tell from the preface to his question that my answer is not what he expects to hear, and from the strong terminology in this preface, he cares about these existing ideas a lot.

My mistake was probably posting anything at all when I knew this.

For this message the author mikee has received thanks: 3
duvessa, Laraso, pratamawirya

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 20th November 2013, 02:37

All these debates could be easily avoided and we could have a more enjoyable time at the Tavern if only crate posted earlier to remind us that one should not question how to play a combo as broken as SpEn.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 20th November 2013, 02:39

and into wrote:Imagine there was a god called Xom, and someone posted in advice asking for advice about how best to play a game worshiping Xom....

What does this have to do with anything?

Telling someone Foo is a bad choice when they ask, "Is Foo good?" is totally legit. Telling someone that Foo is bad, when they've already acknowledged that fact, and have simply expressed an idle interest in trying it out nevertheless, reads (to me) like someone who is just being kind of pedantic.

What?

Granted, you didn't simply say that necromutation is bad—you suggested trying out a mummy.

Thanks for granting that so kindly. I am so happy for someone to acknowledge that I didn't say what I didn't say and I did say what I did say.
But I think for most players the experience of playing a mummy is going to be really different from getting necromutation very late in the game.

How about from having necromutation? What is the big deal, knowing when to train skills? That you can turn it off? Does he want to know what the spell is like or not?

And the whole point of the OP asking about this (and he made his intent crystal clear) is that he wants the experience of playing a late game, lich-form caster—*not* that he wants to 1.) play a mummy, nor 2.) apply optimal strategies and make the most strictly effective game-winning character possible.

Who are you talking to and about what? Did I write part of a haiku that was full of hidden meanings??

I think that necromutation is often overrated. Wanting to "bend the stick the other way" is justified, but if you take that too far you just end up being contrarian for its own sake. Pushing that point in this particular thread is misguided, since the question is not, "What is optimal?" but, "How do I try this thing out, despite the fact that it might not be optimal?"

I mean, all of the experienced players on this thread, who I'm pretty sure have a good deal of experience with necromutation, could actually be helpful and share their experiences about how to go about making a character who can use necromutation well (even if it isn't "optimal"), setting aside the fact that the spell is probably not the best choice in many cases. I gave my two cents but, while I hope my advice was good, I doubt it was so good as to be "the last word" on the matter.

What is going on?

For this message the author mikee has received thanks: 4
dck, duvessa, Galefury, rebthor

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 20th November 2013, 02:43

I think we should not post too short messages (I know I have this problem too), such messages can be misunderstood easily. Especially when they can look sarcastic/ironic.
Last edited by Sandman25 on Wednesday, 20th November 2013, 02:45, edited 1 time in total.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 20th November 2013, 02:44

As someone who's played a lot of mummies and many characters in lichform my experience is that they are extremely similar. The suggestion to play a mummy seems very reasonable.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 20th November 2013, 02:49

pratamawirya wrote:All these debates could be easily avoided and we could have a more enjoyable time at the Tavern if only crate posted

FTFY

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 20th November 2013, 02:52

Code:
You are too confused.
Unknown command.
Unknown command.
You can't drink.

For this message the author dck has received thanks:
duvessa

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 20th November 2013, 18:07

mopl wrote:I read here and there on this forum a lot of things about Necromutation...

But I'm not wondering about how good/useful/gamebreaker this spell is (at least for this thread ;) )

My question is, what build(s) would you recommand for a character who wants to go with a Lich Form endgame ? How would you play it (spells, melee...) ?
Thx

Just clarifying here, but I think what he means by that is, "I don't give a flying ... what your opinion of the usefulness of the spell is, I want to try it. What's the easiest way to do so?"

There's so much purposeful ignorance in this thread, I don't know what's wrong with the top players of this game.

Lich form prevents torment, mutations, and rotting (well sort of, because mutations instead cause rotting, but direct rotting doesn't work)
Mummy form prevents torment, mutations, and rotting.
Both forms prevent potion drinking.
HOWEVER!
Lich form comes with this sweet, sweet ability to not always be in lich form! In fact, when you start the game with a lich form capable character, you will not start the game in lich form!
Mummy form on the other hand cannot be turned off.

Lich form can be cast by any living character, allowing you to choose your aptitudes.
Mummy form must be selected at the start, and comes with RF- and horrible aptitudes.

If you get stat drained as a mummy, you have to spend permanent resources to fix it.
If you get stat drained as a lich, you simply end lich form, and either quaff a potion or just wait it out.

Anyway,
Everyone who posted here understands this. Some people just like to be contrary...

duvessa wrote:

So... are you suggesting necromutation needs a buff? A lower spell level requirement? Please, explain to me why a buff to stats, turning off the food clock, and immunity to some of the worst effects in game is a really bad spell. Perhaps you're overcompensating here due to a perception that people think Necromutation is better than it really is? Perhaps you're just purposely being just as wrong as people who think that, only on the opposite side of the spectrum?

I'm willing to bet that if anyone proposed a buff to necromut, they'd get laughed right off the tavern... because it's already a good spell. Which we all know.

So to actually be helpful, my suggestion would be a LOTM of Sif, both for reasonable apts for lich form, as well as being something quite different from the SPEN you didn't feel like playing again.

For this message the author damiac has received thanks: 2
Sandman25, Zwobot

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 20th November 2013, 18:22

damiac wrote:If you get stat drained as a mummy, you have to spend permanent resources to fix it.

Actually you can hit 5 a lot (and I mean a really big lot) and that recovers your stats. Your score will dislike this, and so will most gods (although sif has a pretty slow piety decay).

For this message the author some12fat2move has received thanks:
Sandman25
Next

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice