Summoners

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 30th October 2013, 20:51

Re: Summoners

Well, hunger costs aside, and speaking to the more divisive question in this thread....

For a long time when I played casters I would typically neglect training up dodging or stealth ("what's the point?") and only minimal fighting. This habit formed, in part, due to my own inexperience, but was also reinforced by my very low tolerance for victory dancing—spamming spells at the air was bad enough. I'd leave dodging on sometimes but then since I was intentionally avoiding getting in to combat, and as I was loath to do the rat-dance, dodging would tend to be underleveled.

Anyway, once victory dancing was out I started experimenting (for me it was experimenting) with how to allocate my experience and I can say, absolutely, getting a bit of stealth and a good amount of dodging—the earlier the better—will increase your survivability a lot compared to dumping everything into boosting the power of all your starting spells.

Let's take high elf fire elementalist of vehumet as a case study, seeing as how that's a build that I'm very familiar with, and its pretty standard.

Generally, by the time I've cleared D7 or so, I have all my spells memorized, I'm at character level 8 or 9, and have something like "spell casting 4, conjurations / fire ~7, stealth 5, dodging 8." If I'm already worshipping Veh, and I have hit (or am about to hit) ** piety—which comes pretty fast—then all my spells are at less than 5% failure rate, and I can then go on training dodging while keeping my eyes peeled for other things that might be worth investing in—other spells, a lucky good weapon drop, a bit of evocations if I've picked up things worth evoking, etc. etc. Otherwise, I might pick up a couple more levels of spell casting to make sure I have some clear slots for Veh's spell gifts, but then I go immediately back to dodging. Now, if you find some spell book on the ground with awesome stuff in it, that could easily change one's course and make further early investments in magic a solid strategy. But that's not something I plan on—it is something I adapt to, and try to take advantage of, if and when I am fortunate enough that it occurs.

I've found this to be a very dependable way to get characters to and through Lair. The alternative "magic-heavy" approach would presumably include doubling down on magic but this usually nets you comparatively little in return.

In early game, the biggest boost to damage you get is when the next level of spells comes online, this is why a wizardry boost is a huge asset; but once you've got your starting spells reliable, your conj / fire is already at a high skill level for early game, and your marginal gain for each subsequent level of conj / fire is actually very low (under these circumstances). That changes once, say, bolt of fire becomes available—but again, you are not guaranteed (and are indeed unlikely) to have that available right at the moment you are finished with book of flames around D7 or D8.

For a FE, getting much more skill in magic beyond what you need to cast fireball reliably is like getting more than 14 long blades skill when the best weapon you have on hand is a scimitar. Once a great sword comes around, then of course it makes sense to pump long blades—but only once a great sword is actually available. Until then, yes, each additional level of long blades will boost your scimitar's damage output, but the "bang for your buck" has diminished and there are often better ways to invest your experience.

Namely, for fire elementalists, once fireball is reliable it is wiser to invest in defense and/or consider how to make use of what the RNG has given you already. The experience you save with Veh's wizardry (don't need much to get fireball castable) is better spent in this way rather than getting a couple extra levels in conjurations and fire, which translate into a boost to average damage that you don't need at this point in the game, whereas going from 12 EV to 18/19 and "fairly stealthy" to "quite/very stealthy" is a very formidable boost to early game survival. (This is doubly true with elves, who generally have good (DE) or very good (HE) dex and thus get nice returns on dodging and stealth skill, but I've found it is true for nearly all characters, really.)

Now, of course, my strategy with FEs won't exactly map onto other casters, and even with FEs, no scheme is going to work optimally if it is slavishly and unthinkingly followed, because each game is different. Still, what's particularly true in the case of (most) FEs is true at least to some extent for (most) other casters. Most caster backgrounds have a staple spell (or two) that, once it can be reliably cast, is also strong enough in spell power for the early game. So, once that happens, don't neglect defensive skills—even (indeed, especially!) early on—and don't neglect taking advantage of good drops the RNG has been generous enough to provide.

(Perhaps counter-intuitively, part of what makes fire elementalist a strong background is that its spells are not all that dependent on spell power. Inner flame, conjure flame, and sticky flame do a lot of damage with low spell power—above a certain point of spell power their effectiveness is in practice, albeit not literally, independent of skill level. And even fire ball has the nice property that it ignores EV and always hits in exactly same AOE pattern regardless of spell power, so while its damage does increase with conj / fire skill, it is still very reliable even at relatively low spell power. Compare to, say, lightning bolt, which scales with level similarly to fire ball but is much less reliable at lower levels because it tends to miss *and* its range depends on spell power. So, while this may not be obvious at first glance, a big part of how one should play to strengths of FE is by being careful *not* to over-invest in fire and conjurations for the post-Temple early game. This is true, although to a lesser extent, for many other caster backgrounds.)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 30th October 2013, 21:04

I totally agree with and into. I read about extremely early training of Dodging on the forum and I really liked it when I tried it for DEFE, it is the best tool for dealing with early Centaurs.

6340 | D:5 | Reached skill level 6 in Dodging

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 30th October 2013, 21:47

That would be stealth, stones and corners.

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 30th October 2013, 22:04

dck wrote:That would be stealth, stones and corners.

But dodging helps against them (and plenty of other things). Dodging makes (almost) everything a bit less dangerous, which makes it easier for your character to survive bad luck—including situations when your stealth check fails and/or you are facing a tough foe on bad terrain—as well as the occasional misplay. I don't exactly think of dodging as a tool, I guess, more of just mitigation of bad stuff the game throws at you.

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 30th October 2013, 22:16

DEFE is somewhat of an unusual case, as you've pointed out. To articulate it differently:

• Flame Tongue is extremely powerful for a level 1 spell. A FE is doing something like 1d10 damage from the very beginning, whereas a DEWz is doing something like 1d4 or 1d5 with hits magic dart. I think the two spells max out at 1d14 and 1d8 respectively.
  • Conjure Flame is most powerful and efficient when you can just stand there next to the cloud and tank the enemy as they burn up
  • Sticky Flame is incredibly damaging, and also encourages closing into melee range with your opponents

The FE spell book is peculiar in that its raw power means you don't need to focus so much on finding the power to kill things, since you already have it! Instead, it encourages you to be in melee range of your opponents, which leads to training skills that allow you to to survive while delivering fiery death, rather than focusing on increasing the amount of fiery death you can deliver.

The wizard spell book, as a contrasting example (since I'm most familiar with it) is much more MP hungry. A DEWz, in my opinion, benefits greatly from training spellcasting up fairly high early on, giving you the endurance to keep Mephitic Cloud and Conjure Flame up as long as you need to while still having enough MP to blast things down with Magic Dart. (and has the added bonus of having to commit little to no experience to Fire/Poison/Air, so you can defer elemental choices until you get a better nuke)

(actually, I feel like the book of minor magic encourages you to pick up a big stick and pretend you're a melee character. But I generally pick Wz because I'm in the mood to blast things, so I haven't really tried that route yet)

(I should admit that I'm in the habit of avoiding Call Imp -- I haven't enjoyed the few times I've tried using allies with other casters, and had some awareness that summons were overpowered in 0.12 so I didn't want to base my early game around them)

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 30th October 2013, 23:06

@and into: EV is great indeed, but that doesn't mean that the best way to deal with the centaur isn't to let him stay asleep and X e then moving on; early stealth doesn't ask for a lot to be effective, if you can spare a couple of giant frogs it helps choosing your fights a great deal.

@Hurkyl: Call imp is a really strong spell, so is slow.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 30th October 2013, 23:40

Stones vs Centaurs? d4 vs 1.5*d7 from HP 32 monster? Good luck.

Edit. Stealth is (12 + HD + Z)/(15*Stealth skill), chance to be detected is about 1/Stealth Skill vs a sleeping Centaur (HD=4, Z=0) and about 2/Stealth skill vs wandering Centaur (HD=4, Z=15). How much do you train Stealth early game when alone Centaur is dangerous?

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 31st October 2013, 00:02

Jesus christ, you hear stones and stealth and corners and you think about fucking killing the centaur by chucking stones at him?
Holy shit.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 31st October 2013, 00:12

Do FE start with Sandblast or Stone of Tremors now? Holy shit, I am reading "stone" when I see "stone", how dare I?

Oops, I completely forgot you always train nothing but Stealth and Fighting up to 15 so you are never seen by Centaur in the open and you always have a nice corner to throw a stone at the Centaur from...

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 31st October 2013, 01:38

dck wrote:Jesus christ, you hear stones and stealth and corners and you think about fucking killing the centaur by chucking stones at him?
Holy shit.

Maybe... just maybe... this could be a demonstration of the drawbacks of your communication style?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 31st October 2013, 01:55

Or maybe it's pretty obvious you use stones to pull individual monsters to you, not to kill them.

For this message the author BlackSheep has received thanks:
rebthor

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 31st October 2013, 02:13

BlackSheep wrote:Or maybe it's pretty obvious you use stones to pull individual monsters to you, not to kill them.

Or maybe it's pretty obvious that "it is the best tool for dealing with early Centaurs" means that it is early game because Centaur is dangerous. DEFE does not want to melee even a single Centaur (how are you going to reliably kill it? With Conjure Flame? Centaur deals 10 damage per melee attack and attacks you even if you run away), a pack of Centaurs is a nightmare at this stage even with Mephitic Cloud backup (which FE does not have) so if you can lure them one after another you'd better just run away and put a big exclusion on the whole area.

I suspect dck is just trolling me. First he said I undertrained Fighting on Sp with base 47 HP and now he says Dodging is not the best way to protect yourself from ranged attacks pretending it's impossible to find yourself in an open area with several Centaurs in range.

dck, can you just ignore my posts? I am sure there are other experienced players here who can point out at my mistakes as soon as I post them.

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 31st October 2013, 03:46

I am not "trolling" anyone, I'm trying to make you realize you're being extraordinarily obtuse about the titanic problems of your skilling. The best way to deal with something dangerous is letting it sleep or manipulating their movements, that doesn't mean the most overpowered and easy to get defense layer in crawl is in any way not ridiculously good.
Yes you undertrained fighting and particularly weapon skill on your sp because you were obsessed with the hunger cost and didn't think about anything else.
Yes centaur bands do not spawn at the depth a DE of any kind considers one a threat.
Look I don't like being an asshole to you, but the fact that being so atrociously bad you have the nerve to give others advice and you adamantly refuse to rethink your approach to things you've just arbitrarily decided by yourself without actually checking how it works in a real game (like hunger cost mattering) while several other players tell otherwise is really annoying.

I'd ignore your posts if it was only you, but someone may listen to you and as a new player I had the good fortune of having a bunch of pretty good players answer my questions and wound up with not a whole lot of bad habits to purge, mostly it was all pretty good and I'm really thankful to those guys for the things they taught me. You, however, barge into the thread of a new guy asking about Su and start saying that "oh no the hunger cost" and tell him to get what, almost 14 levels of spc by the time he's reached the ENTRANCE TO LAIR.
And I'm just supposed to let you keep fucking with their development as players because that's how you've decided to do things?

For this message the author dck has received thanks:
Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 31st October 2013, 04:28

dck wrote:I am not "trolling" anyone, I'm trying to make you realize you're being extraordinarily obtuse about the titanic problems of your skilling. The best way to deal with something dangerous is letting it sleep or manipulating their movements, that doesn't mean the most overpowered and easy to get defense layer in crawl is in any way not ridiculously good.

I don't understand how your brain works. You confirm my point ("that doesn't mean the most overpowered and easy to get defense layer in crawl is in any way not ridiculously good") after telling things which are obvious to every player with at least one win. I will try once again though (I tend to overestimate human ability to think logically). Yes, experienced players don't die to a single Centaur when they can leave it sleeping or hide behind a corner, conjure a flame and run away. All it means is that experienced players die to Centaur(s) when "letting it sleep or manipulating their movements" is impossible. Isn't Dodging the best way to deal with Centaurs then?

Yes you undertrained fighting and particularly weapon skill on your sp because you were obsessed with the hunger cost and didn't think about anything else.

Are you a telepathist? I remember that game quite well. I was constantly thinking what I should train and considered everything - fighting, dodging, magic, stealth, even polearms (-3 aptitude), and I did it often. I actually was not going to train Spellcasting that high but I just didn't have better options, most my spells were at 1% due to ring of wizardry, my Dodging was high enough for current stage (it was not needed that much in Lair where there are no monsters with ranged attacks), fighting was almost useless so I was training Spellcasting for spamming Bolt of Magma (primary reason) and hunger-less Ice Beasts (I wasn't always surrounded by 3 Ice Beasts until it was hunger-less).

Yes centaur bands do not spawn at the depth a DE of any kind considers one a threat.

My experience is different. Without Dodging Centaurs can kill DEFE easily.

Look I don't like being an asshole to you, but the fact that being so atrociously bad you have the nerve to give others advice and you adamantly refuse to rethink your approach to things you've just arbitrarily decided by yourself without actually checking how it works in a real game (like hunger cost mattering) while several other players tell otherwise is really annoying.

Hunger cost matters. You cannot spam Ice Beasts with low spellcasting, you cannot use Sif Muna. Just think why SpSu was Nemelex choice on last tournament.

I'd ignore your posts if it was only you, but someone may listen to you and as a new player I had the good fortune of having a bunch of pretty good players answer my questions and wound up with not a whole lot of bad habits to purge, mostly it was all pretty good and I'm really thankful to those guys for the things they taught me. You, however, barge into the thread of a new guy asking about Su and start saying that "oh no the hunger cost" and tell him to get what, almost 14 levels of spc by the time he's reached the ENTRANCE TO LAIR.
And I'm just supposed to let you keep fucking with their development as players because that's how you've decided to do things?

Yes, I believe there is nothing wrong in SpSu reaching 14 spellcasting by the time he's reached entrance to Lair. I had some fights where 33 MP was not enough, even Ice Beasts die too fast and I retreated multiple times from several fights. Just one question for you - what should SpSu train when all available Su spells are at 1%? Please don't tell me it's extra 7 levels in Fighting to increase HP from 50 to 57 or 5 levels in dodging to increase EV from 29 to 35 in a branch with no ranged attacks.

That was quite a deep Lair entrance by the way:
  Code:
 3 killer bees (D:9)
  10 killer bees
 2 vampire mosquitoes (D:12)
 3 hill giant skeletons
 2 manticores (D:12)
  A steam dragon (D:11)

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 31st October 2013, 05:19

I was constantly thinking what I should train and considered everything

plus seven qs of venom in D: 10, pikel's whip in D: 9

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 31st October 2013, 05:50

DEFE does not want to melee even a single Centaur

I'm sure you do know a centaur who shoots his bow is much more dangerous than a centaur who doesn't shoot his bow because he's next to you.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 31st October 2013, 06:23

Just to make it clear, training dodging early is a good idea for many characters including deep elves.

For this message the author Wahaha has received thanks:
Sandman25

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 31st October 2013, 07:22

Sandman25 wrote:Just think why SpSu was Nemelex choice on last tournament.

Probably not really important to the point at hand, but Nemlex choice is "chosen by randomly from those combinations with fewer than eight online wins." I'm not sure what you're point is regarding the random number picking something randomly, and how it relates to summoners.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 31st October 2013, 07:33

Sandman25 wrote:why SpSu was Nemelex choice on last tournament

Nemelex's Choice combos are based on popularity, not difficulty.

For this message the author Sar has received thanks:
rebthor

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 31st October 2013, 12:19

dck wrote:
I was constantly thinking what I should train and considered everything

plus seven qs of venom in D: 10, pikel's whip in D: 9

Do you suggest to be adjacent to dangerous monsters despite having only 50 HP? No, thanks, I will use a polearm.
Another note - if I was scared by hunger, I would not melee 668 times (every melee attack takes 3 nutrition points). I meleed trying to get more EXP.

Edit. Do you mean quickblade as "qs"? If not, take a look at spear stat, it is identical to short sword and allows to have weapon hands bound without training Shields for buckler.
Last edited by Sandman25 on Thursday, 31st October 2013, 12:23, edited 2 times in total.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 31st October 2013, 12:20

Sar wrote:
Sandman25 wrote:why SpSu was Nemelex choice on last tournament

Nemelex's Choice combos are based on popularity, not difficulty.

Yes, I know it. Popularity is correlated with difficulty in most cases. Not many people want to play DEGl or SpSu. As I said before, SpSu was surprisingly strong, much stronger than MuSu for example.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 31st October 2013, 12:26

pratamawirya wrote:
DEFE does not want to melee even a single Centaur

I'm sure you do know a centaur who shoots his bow is much more dangerous than a centaur who doesn't shoot his bow because he's next to you.

Yes, I know it. And yes, I still don't want to melee Centaurs. I put exclusion on Centaur and return later.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 31st October 2013, 12:35

He means +7 quarterstaff of venom you had, which is a fantastic early-mid game weapon for a Spriggan and allows transition to lajatang later (the best base damage weapon a Spriggan can wield).
Popularity not always correlates with difficulty in Crawl, it's a question of archetypes. People think of Spriggan, look at aptitudes and say "it's a stealthy-stabby type of race", but in reality it's much more flexible.
I won a couple of Nemelex Choices in this tournament, and they were really easy. Like KoTm, or SpNe (SpNe is even recommended - you only have -1 Necro aptitude and well, you're a Spriggan).
And of course SpSu is better than MuSu, Spriggans are OP and Mummies are awful (power-wise).

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 31st October 2013, 12:39

Sar wrote:He means +7 quarterstaff of venom you had

Did I have it??? I don't remember.
I agree with the rest of your post, SpSu is great (if you keep training Spellcasting as I suggested).

Edit. Oh, yes, I could use
the +1,+7 quarterstaff of the Peculiar Runes {venom, rC+ rN+ MR++ Int-4}.
No, I didn't like it because of big Int hit. I had rF+ and rC+ already.
Last edited by Sandman25 on Thursday, 31st October 2013, 12:43, edited 1 time in total.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 31st October 2013, 12:42

Code:
10326 | D:10     | Bought a steaming quarterstaff for 252 gold pieces
 10326 | D:10     | Identified the +1,+7 quarterstaff of the Peculiar Runes {venom, rC+ rN+ MR++ Int-4} (You bought it in a shop on level 10 of the Dungeon)

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 31st October 2013, 12:52

The fact you even know how much nutrition to make a melee attack takes but not that the exp obtained from a monster killed by pets is at least 50% and increases with more damage dealt is sickening.
So is the fact you would melee "to get more exp" without regard of actually dealing with threats presented in an effective way (by not using a crap spear with no polearms skill).
Also DEGl is a strong combo.

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 31st October 2013, 12:54

Sandman25 wrote:
Sar wrote:He means +7 quarterstaff of venom you had

Did I have it??? I don't remember.
I agree with the rest of your post, SpSu is great (if you keep training Spellcasting as I suggested).

Edit. Oh, yes, I could use
the +1,+7 quarterstaff of the Peculiar Runes {venom, rC+ rN+ MR++ Int-4}.
No, I didn't like it because of big Int hit. I had rF+ and rC+ already.

The reason to use that qstaff though is because it is +7 and venom (not ideal brand for this type of weapon usually but very good on spriggan). The rC+ rN+ MR++ are just bonuses. Yes -4 int is kind of a drag but the weapon is good enough that it is still worth it. If it really bothers you, then you could have always '-swapped it in to melee a bit after you've summoned some allies, once you'd got enough other stuff cursed that you didn't need weapon hand bound for the Ash piety.

As for Nem choice thing: Maybe I'm wrong but I kind of get the feeling that summoners aren't well-liked in general, and people generally don't associate spriggan and summoners, so there aren't a lot of online wins. But yeah nevertheless I would think SpSu is basically as good as SpNe or SpVM or whatever.

For this message the author and into has received thanks: 2
dck, Sar

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 31st October 2013, 13:12

Venom is pretty good on a qs though, I mean others work as well definitely but I think just about every brand is a good brand on a qs, especially early on.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 31st October 2013, 13:23

I occasionally wonder if too many summoner nerfs went in at once.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 31st October 2013, 13:25

dck wrote:The fact you even know how much nutrition to make a melee attack takes but not that the exp obtained from a monster killed by pets is at least 50% and increases with more damage dealt is sickening.
So is the fact you would melee "to get more exp" without regard of actually dealing with threats presented in an effective way (by not using a crap spear with no polearms skill).
Also DEGl is a strong combo.

Stop telepathing. I know exp from summon kills is at least 50%. I wrote I meleed monsters to get EXP, of course I meant to get MORE exp. With 0% from summon kills I would still be at XL 3 or so ;)
Also stop forgetting I was with Ash. I didn't use a scroll of remove curse to see how much that qs actually decreases my failure rate, I am not expected to waste the scrolls switching back and forth between whip of electrocution, qs with Int-4 and other fancy weapons you for some reason believe SpSu needs.
What is your definition for "strong combo"? Winnable? Hard to die to pack of jackals/gnolls/kobold with blowgun/electrocution? Saying DEGl is a strong combo just looks weird, it has -3 HP aptitude, -2 Shields aptitude and the best weapon aptitude is just 0. It's inferior to Hu, don't you think so? Did you try it on last tournament?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 31st October 2013, 13:38

Damn, I am getting tired to explain. There was no reason to use weapon with Int-4 penalty, I was a Su with only Int 19. Do you want me to melee Black Mambas/Hydra/Spiny Frog/Hill Giant skeletons? Do you remember all those monsters have at least rPois+? I am not going to die to miscasts, don't hope so. It looks like it is not me, who can't think creative. You believe every character must wield a weapon for melee, but that's just not true. SpSu with 47 base HP does not want to wield Singing Sword, -Tele, * Rage, correct? Non-reaching venom weapon with Int -4 falls into the same category, it's just not that obvious (but still obvious).

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 31st October 2013, 13:50

git gud

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 31st October 2013, 13:57

lol. Person with 24% win (all pure fighters) says "git gud" to person with 66% wins (pure fighters + pure mage) when discussing pure mage.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 31st October 2013, 14:01

Sandman25 wrote:Saying DEGl is a strong combo just looks weird, it has -3 HP aptitude, -2 Shields aptitude and the best weapon aptitude is just 0. It's inferior to Hu, don't you think so? Did you try it on last tournament?

Pick quarterstaff so you don't need to worry about shields aptitude.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 31st October 2013, 14:09

pratamawirya wrote:
Sandman25 wrote:Saying DEGl is a strong combo just looks weird, it has -3 HP aptitude, -2 Shields aptitude and the best weapon aptitude is just 0. It's inferior to Hu, don't you think so? Did you try it on last tournament?

Pick quarterstaff so you don't need to worry about shields aptitude.

I didn't have quarterstaff (you can check it here)

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 31st October 2013, 14:15

Sandman25 wrote:I didn't have quarterstaff (you can check it here)

Code:

Level 10 of the Dungeon
[Shop] Ada Munna's Antique Weapon Shop
  a +1,+2 long sword of slicing (126 gold)
  a +4,+1 elven bow of flame (103 gold)
  a +0,+0 broad axe (168 gold)
  a +0,+3 great mace of holy wrath (182 gold)
  a +0,+0 scythe (84 gold)
  a -1,+1 orcish war axe (89 gold)
  a +3,+2 trident of flaming (117 gold)
  a +0,+0 mace (84 gold)
  a +1,+0 elven bow (103 gold)
  a +0,+0 scimitar (126 gold)
  a +1,+0 dwarven battleaxe of venom (218 gold)
(0, 0, D:10)
  13 exploding darts
(-6, 10, D:10)
  a +4,+0 scimitar of flaming
  a +2 robe of positive energy
(-17, 11, D:10)
  a potion of brilliance
  a potion of slowing {!q}
  the +1,+7 quarterstaff of the Peculiar Runes {venom, rC+ rN+ MR++ Int-4}

this is amazing beyond what words can describe

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 31st October 2013, 14:16

dck wrote:
Sandman25 wrote:I didn't have quarterstaff (you can check it here)

Code:

Level 10 of the Dungeon
[Shop] Ada Munna's Antique Weapon Shop
  a +1,+2 long sword of slicing (126 gold)
  a +4,+1 elven bow of flame (103 gold)
  a +0,+0 broad axe (168 gold)
  a +0,+3 great mace of holy wrath (182 gold)
  a +0,+0 scythe (84 gold)
  a -1,+1 orcish war axe (89 gold)
  a +3,+2 trident of flaming (117 gold)
  a +0,+0 mace (84 gold)
  a +1,+0 elven bow (103 gold)
  a +0,+0 scimitar (126 gold)
  a +1,+0 dwarven battleaxe of venom (218 gold)
(0, 0, D:10)
  13 exploding darts
(-6, 10, D:10)
  a +4,+0 scimitar of flaming
  a +2 robe of positive energy
(-17, 11, D:10)
  a potion of brilliance
  a potion of slowing {!q}
  the +1,+7 quarterstaff of the Peculiar Runes {venom, rC+ rN+ MR++ Int-4}

this is amazing beyond what words can describe

What would you purchase? What would you train?

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 31st October 2013, 14:47

Look man, we've been over this. You've had at least three different guys explain to you how exactly you fucked up and how exactly you should've done things and and into in fact even went in great detail to get every point across as clearly as possible when all you'd done until that moment was dodging whatever he said like it was molten fucking lava ("I think why you explained why Sp's hunger doesn't matter actually means it does matter ;)" and the rest of the goalpost-moving bullshit).
I think the problem here is this hurts your pride, I'm sorry man but you're bad, pretty bad. This on its own is not a problem, but the fact you refuse to improve yourself really is; I myself am pretty bad as well, I was probably one of the lower skill players of our team and actually learnt a lot during the tourney itself. I don't find this to be a problem, you improve and learn as you play yourself and see other good players play, this is natural.
What isn't natural is to refuse change or to even consider the possibility you're fallible and awful at the game and need to improve in the face of hard evidence that you are.

You want to call every of my characters this tourney "pure fighters"? Feel free to, but they really were not. Each and every one of them did different things. Yes, not one had conjurations, you know why? Because for the most part conjurations are really boring and I find them a huge waste of time. With all the interesting things you can do with magic and how it can be used in tandem with the most tactically interesting part of crawl (melee combat) why would you want to focus on the most boring blasty bits, which are almost literally ranged combat with all of its problems but none of the OPness?

Even if you ignore this, at very least do not lie to yourself. You don't play "pure casters", you play cripples.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 31st October 2013, 14:51

So Pikel dropped a whip of elec and you used a +1 spear? Jesus man, I don't know. How is this supposed to make any kind of sense? Why didn't you at least buy that trident of flaming?
Sandman25 wrote:pure mage

Yeah man, whatever.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 31st October 2013, 14:56

Sar wrote:So Pikel dropped a whip of elec and you used a +1 spear?

wait, what

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 31st October 2013, 14:56

Sandman25 wrote:What would you purchase? What would you train?

Given your intent to melee things with polearms, tridents are a good choice. Unless, I suppose, you're desperate to stay at 1.0 Aut or below and don't want to train 6 levels in Polearms. There was a trident of venom and a modestly enchanted trident of flaming in that list. They're 2H on Spriggan as well, to go with your intent not to wear a buckler.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 31st October 2013, 15:00

It looks like everyone insists on using more powerful weapon and putting fragile Sp in danger instead of having more MP for summons and staying out of fight. It should be clear now that I completely disagree with this, I could not afford having scorpions or spamming bolt of magma because of low MP (21 MP for 3 Ice Beasts and 3 Wolves).
That's actually funny that you mentioned that "cripple", I realized my minor training-related mistakes with it and you can see that very next DEFE had slightly more Fighting (though that death had nothing to do with Fighting any way) and got 15 runes. You can continue to think I am unable to learn and I always had 4 wins in 6 games, this is very pleasant for me ;)
Yes, if you can cast Haste/Repel Missiles/OA/Dispel Undead/Silence/Coprse Rot, it is still a pure fighter IMHO. I know what you are talking about though, I have not played Conjuration-based character for a long time, it's too powerful and boring indeed.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 31st October 2013, 15:04

Dispel Undead? Pure fighter? What?
Also, this is how you melee as a Spriggan: if something hits you through your massive EV, you take a step back and walk away. This is how you melee as a Spriggan Summoner: if something hits you through your massive EV, you take a step back and let your summons finish the job. Wow, that's so dangerous.

Edit: @ pratamawirya: Hm?
Last edited by Sar on Thursday, 31st October 2013, 15:05, edited 1 time in total.

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 31st October 2013, 15:04

Sar wrote:So Pikel dropped a whip of elec and you used a +1 spear? Jesus man, I don't know. How is this supposed to make any kind of sense?

Rather than just say "you're an idiot because you don't play exactly the way I would play", why not actually address the reasons that he has given for his choices -- specifically relevant are his reluctance to get in melee range of anything actually dangerous, desire for a 2H weapon so he doesn't need a buckler for Ash piety, that cursing the whip means he can't switch to a safer weapon when desired, and leaving it uncursed means less Ash piety, and that making that sacrifice wouldn't actually help him kill anything he couldn't kill without it?

I assume, of course, that there is actually a rational reason involved.

For this message the author Hurkyl has received thanks:
Sandman25

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 31st October 2013, 15:06

None of the reasons you listed are rational though.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 31st October 2013, 15:16

Sar wrote:So Pikel dropped a whip of elec and you used a +1 spear? Jesus man, I don't know. How is this supposed to make any kind of sense? Why didn't you at least buy that trident of flaming?
Sandman25 wrote:pure mage

Yeah man, whatever.

Would you spend scroll of remove curse to change your weapon when you are low on piety, you are still not bound in armour looking for scroll of curse armour and you lose bounding in weapon by doing that? What for? For that small increase in EXP and not so small increase in chance to die?
I think I should stop visiting the thread, nobody but me understands how that game was going and what I was thinking.

Edit. I was wrong, Hurkyl understands my reasoning.
Last edited by Sandman25 on Thursday, 31st October 2013, 15:25, edited 1 time in total.

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 31st October 2013, 15:18

Sar wrote:None of the reasons you listed are rational though.

I could potentially believe that such an argument against using the whip is incorrect (assuming there was an accompanying words actually explaining why), but I'm thoroughly boggled that it could be called "irrational" with a straight face... especially given the sorts of things we have to contrast it against.

(actually, I'm not not so boggled. People often use "irrational" to mean "any thought that is not just like mine")

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 31st October 2013, 15:19

Hurkyl wrote:

Given your intent to melee things with polearms, tridents are a good choice. Unless, I suppose, you're desperate to stay at 1.0 Aut or below and don't want to train 6 levels in Polearms. There was a trident of venom and a modestly enchanted trident of flaming in that list. They're 2H on Spriggan as well, to go with your intent not to wear a buckler.

No, I didn't have intent to use polearms. I didn't need any weapon and I was not going to train anything until I find a good weapon (no, electrocution is not good, it makes too much noise).

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 31st October 2013, 15:21

Sandman25 wrote:
Hurkyl wrote:

No, I didn't have intent to use polearms. I didn't need any weapon and I was not going to train anything until I find a good weapon (no, electrocution is not good, it makes too much noise).

By "intent to melee things with polearms", I really just meant "you had a polearm and you were hitting things with it and didn't want to use something without reaching for that purpose".

I suppose I was also assuming some trident was available before you cursed your melee slot. But that's probably false.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 31st October 2013, 15:22

You can bet I'd be looking for the first opportunity to switch from a plain spear to a whip of electrocution, sure. It would mean I wouldn't have to worry about a weapon for a very long time.

@Hurkyl: not using a weapon of electrocution because it's too noisy is irrational, as is choosing a +1 spear over it because you're scared to death to get your "fragile spriggan" into melee range

Edit: I took a look finally at that .lst file. There were multiple curse weapon scrolls laying about, and at least one remove curse. There was also a scroll of acquirement in a shop on D:6 which would have driven me straight to Orc for the money to buy it.
Last edited by BlackSheep on Thursday, 31st October 2013, 15:26, edited 1 time in total.
PreviousNext

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice