Having a lot of trouble starting out

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Sunday, 3rd November 2013, 14:27

Having a lot of trouble starting out

I'm not sure if the game is supposed to be this hard, but I have played well over a hundred characters to their death, and so far the highest level I've ever gotten to is 11 with an ogre barbarian, and I raged the shit out of everything I came across, until I got zapped quite suddenly to death by a threesome of electric eels. It's getting to the point that ADOM is feeling like a cakewalk in comparison.

Edit; also just realized that I haven't updated the game in two years, been playing v 0.7.2, so I'm going to update and see what difference that makes, I'm going to assume not much.

Edit 2; as noted below, HOLY CRAP. 0.13 is a LOT easier than 0.7.2
Last edited by Garblin on Sunday, 3rd November 2013, 15:11, edited 1 time in total.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 3rd November 2013, 14:41

Re: Having a lot of trouble starting out

I think the general tip is if you come across some tough situation you take your hands off the keyboard and think what should be your next course of action. In your case, you could have stepped back from those eels since they are really dangerous early game monster when you don't have electricity resistance.

Also you could try out some of the easier combo. I think Ogres can be difficult since they can't wear most armours. I personally think minotaur or gargoyle berserker are really suitable for those trying their 1st win.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 3rd November 2013, 14:47

Upgrade to 0.13, the difference is huge. Many spells are removed/added, armour works different way, no nausea etc.

For this message the author Sandman25 has received thanks:
Garblin

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Sunday, 3rd November 2013, 15:10

Just played a few rounds of 0.13, and holy shit, the difference is insane. The game is tremendously easier now. The tileset is also fancier...

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice