Treasure Trove question

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 13th March 2011, 15:53

Treasure Trove question

Playing trunk I've found a treasure trove that wants a +4 demon whip for access. I'm playing a felid so I can't hold a weapon to enchant it. So, unless I'm lucky enough to find one with the right enchantment, am I just going to have to miss this one? Or is there something I'm not thinking of?

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 13th March 2011, 17:28

Re: Treasure Trove question

One thing that helps a little is trove requests are a minimum. So when it asks for a +4 demon blade, it'll actually accept a 4+n, 4+m demon blade of any ego (where m & n are integers > or = 0).

There's no way to enchant something you can't wield, unless truck has changed how enchantments work, or unless there's a special case for felid use.

That's actually really cruel- you can't enchant a demon blade up to +4, nor can you even wield ones you find to check enchantment! Will a trove a take what it wants if it's un-IDed? Ie, if you show up with a pile of un-ID-ed demon blades from hell knight hunting, will it accept one if it's got the right stats? ...maybe you'll get real lucky and find an IDed one in a shop.

For this message the author mageykun has received thanks:
Daydreamer

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 13th March 2011, 17:53

Ok, good to know that better enchantments will work if one turns up. I'm hoping it will take one un'IDed. If not then I guess I need to start stashing ID scrolls.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 13th March 2011, 20:18

We were discussing revising vorpalize and enchant scrolls over here if you'd like to put your opinion in for enchanting items without having to wield them first.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 13th March 2011, 20:52

Troves don't accept unid items. You could (ab)use it has an identification machine. You can use scrolls to id the demons whip you find. Somewhat expensive, but there's not so many generated in a game.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 14th March 2011, 00:18

Yeah, troves probably shouldn't ask Felids for weapons which they can't enchant (or Felids/everyone should be able to target EW scrolls onto non-wielded weapons).

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 14th March 2011, 01:12

Here is an idea:
Let felids wear one piece of armour (crawl inside) or wield one weapon (bite it) but don't allow the felid to move, cast, or execute a melee attack while in that position. When I played a felid, it was disappointing not to be able to find out what that smoking whip was, even though I knew I couldn't use it. Seeing the diverse randarts is a big part of the fun of crawl for me, and felids can't really participate.

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 14th March 2011, 18:33

jejorda2 wrote:Here is an idea:
Let felids wear one piece of armour (crawl inside) or wield one weapon (bite it) but don't allow the felid to move, cast, or execute a melee attack while in that position. When I played a felid, it was disappointing not to be able to find out what that smoking whip was, even though I knew I couldn't use it. Seeing the diverse randarts is a big part of the fun of crawl for me, and felids can't really participate.

I concur. It's a sentient cat after all.
problem here is cursed items. What to do in this case? Felid will be immobilized or curses of armor/weapon won't affect it at all?

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 15th March 2011, 10:39

You can look in the .lst file after your character's death/victory to see all items in the dungeon identified.

For this message the author zasvid has received thanks:
mageykun

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 15th March 2011, 14:18

zasvid wrote:

You can look in the .lst file after your character's death/victory to see all items in the dungeon identified.

Also ctrl-f "demon" or "whip" works. :) Maybe even "demon whip".
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice