Is there a way to d/l .14?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 1st October 2013, 02:13

Is there a way to d/l .14?

I dont see it on the trunk download page. I do see people posting logs from server play. Help? And yes I did post this in tech support but no one has responded so I apologize for re-posting but I would really like to know. Thanks very much in advance.

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 1st October 2013, 03:00

Re: Is there a way to d/l .14?

When you see '.14' you should read that as 'trunk' (since it's coming up to 0.13 release time, the version number for trunk got bumped.)

Using this information you should be able to find the download on the main crawl site.

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 1st October 2013, 03:57

I consider myself fairly computer-savvy however perhaps in this situation I am computer-retarded as, as I previously stated I can not find the pc d/l for .14 or else I would have not embarrassed myself by making this post in the first place. I know you guys are pretty elitist around here so Im aware that I have painted a 'newb' bullseye on myself here. A direct link would be very much appreciated if it is not asking too much. Thanks in advance again.

Or perhaps I am even more retarded than I originally thought and the .13 release on the trunk d/l page is the .14 now? I dont know, I am officially confused. It seems that the online play servers have updated past the version available for d/l on the trunk release page. Please inform this poor nub as to what is actually going on here. = (

For this message the author variouselite has received thanks:
savageorange

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 1st October 2013, 04:07

It looks like no-one's recompiled and uploaded the current release since last week (I'm sure it'll be done sooner or later)

If you want it you'll have to play online or download the source and compile it yourself.

Here's where the newest version that's been compiled and uploaded:

http://crawl.develz.org/trunk/

But if you want .14 *right now* you'll have to download and compile the source yourself:

http://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/downloads
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
variouselite

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 1st October 2013, 04:29

Usually trunk builds aren't made available on that page when there's a release imminent, so that the release version can get more testing (although at the moment I think automatic rebuilds are just broken or something). The servers still often have multiple versions available, but some of them switch their default to the release version instead of trunk. There's not very much in 0.14 that's not in 0.13 at this point, anyway. But yeah if you really want trunk then it's easy to compile if you follow the documentation.

For this message the author Kate has received thanks:
variouselite

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 1st October 2013, 06:52

Thank you both very much for the complete and informative replies. Now I can stop wondering if it is just me that couldnt figure things out. Annnd (even though i kinda assumed as much) now Im excited for a new stable release yay!! I love DCSS, and I love the development community, you guys rock! Thank you very much again = )

Eringya's Employee

Post Tuesday, 1st October 2013, 09:09

The latest one for me in the rss feed for development builds as of now is http://crawl.develz.org/trunk/crawl_tiles-0.14-a0-59-gd5eeb80.zip.
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

For this message the author TehDruid has received thanks: 2
Amnesiac, variouselite

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 1st October 2013, 09:24

I admit that I simply assumed that the automated builds were continuing successfully; I myself use the stone-soup-git package to update to the latest, rather than explicitly downloading anything.

I can confirm TehDruid's report, however the link is not to that item -- I had to subscribe to the relevant RSS feed in order to get that link.
So I am assuming either the main link is intentionally locked on 0.13, or the part of the automatic build that updates said link is broken. Either way, that RSS workaround seems to be the current best way to get an 0.14 download.

TL;DR: the link on the downloads page is not up to date, but the RSS feed -is-.

For this message the author savageorange has received thanks:
variouselite

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 1st October 2013, 10:24

Thanks guys, exactly what I was looking for. You rock = )

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice