STicky flame

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 17th September 2013, 22:09

STicky flame

This is stupid.

What the F^"£$^£"$ are you supposed to do when you get sticky flamed.

Twice in this game I have been sticky flamed by something from around the corner, and I just have to watch every scroll I own burn. You cannot drop them faster than they burn. You cannot put the fire out. What can I do about it?

Dis Charger

Post Tuesday, 17th September 2013, 22:10

Re: STicky flame

Wear a mottled dragon armour. To be honest, I hate it, too, and I have complained at least in one GDD post about it, but it's still there, so... Now I just prefer mottled dragon armour to any other armour on most characters and why not, it has an ok AC and you also can dodge. It is quite a good armour, anyway and it's my favourite dragon armour.

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 17th September 2013, 22:21

There should be some fix for it. Even if it takes multiple turns, you should be able to get rid of it, like a potion of curing cures confusion.

I have lost 2 scrolls of blinking, 3 scrolls of teleportation, and many others just clearing D:27 because of mottled draconians.

The only fix for this is simply "dont carry scrolls" which is not a good compromise IMO.

I have done:

D27/27
Elf2/3
Snake4/5
Blade1/1
Lair8/8
Orc4/4
shoals4/5
vaults4/5

And I have no amulet of conservation.

The fix for this stupid scroll destruction cannot be "stay more than 6 tiles away" because A melee character cannot kill a mottled draconian from +6 tiles away really. ITs not even a case of changing tactic, you just can't...Short of quaffing potion of speed and grabbing every wand of cold and magic darts I have and using those, your only option is to kill them and watch all of your scrolls burn.

Come on, who agrees with this? Surely other people have had this problem?

p.s Im a gargoyle in a randart crystal plate mail with 65AC. MDA isnt an option!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 17th September 2013, 22:41

If you step it to shallow water it is extinguished, not that that's terribly helpful most of the time.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 17th September 2013, 22:42

Amnesiac wrote:Wear a mottled dragon armour. To be honest, I hate it, too, and I have complained at least in one GDD post about it, but it's still there, so... Now I just prefer mottled dragon armour to any other armour on most characters and why not, it has an ok AC and you also can dodge. It is quite a good armour, anyway and it's my favourite dragon armour.

You can still lose scrolls even with MDA but you don't get that "Fire" status which is the main killer of scrolls.

Dis Charger

Post Tuesday, 17th September 2013, 22:51

Mankeli wrote:You can still lose scrolls even with MDA but you don't get that "Fire" status which is the main killer of scrolls.

well yes, but with conservation/preservation the chance is even smaller and you'll lose like one scroll instead of 20
delarado wrote:MDA isnt an option!

Why is that? It's an option exactly because you are a Gr with a lot of AC. You'll have like 50 AC but a lot more EV, especially if you train dodging and gain Dex on levelups. You should enchant it to +6, of course.

Maybe if we all wear a MDA devs will do something :)

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 17th September 2013, 22:57

Amnesiac wrote:
Mankeli wrote:You can still lose scrolls even with MDA but you don't get that "Fire" status which is the main killer of scrolls.

well yes, but with conservation/preservation the chance is even smaller and you'll lose like one scroll instead of 20

Why is that? It's an option exactly because you are a Gr with a lot of AC. You'll have like 50 AC but a lot more EV, especially if you train dodging and gain Dex on levelups.

Maybe if we all wear a MDA devs will do something :)

Because the solution to something should be to completely nerf your character :)

Maybe AC will be almost comparable, but GDR will be nothing like.

Dis Charger

Post Tuesday, 17th September 2013, 22:59

Nah it won't be critical. Gr has innate gdr, too, afaik

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 18th September 2013, 00:38

If you've got a phial of floods, you can create emergency water to put out the flames. Of course remembering that this is an option is another matter, let my scrolls burn a couple of times when a phial was available.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 18th September 2013, 02:10

Other options include: train stealth, learn summon butterflies

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 18th September 2013, 02:40

Its a function of the game, I agree that it is brutal, but if youre playing crawl enough to get stickyflamed you must have at least some appreciation for the fact that the game can be brutal. Its what makes the game fascinating, and so endlessly entertaining to me anyway. You lose concentration for half a sec or you fail to anticipate the abilities of a monster you could potentially face and you get bent the fork over. Thats why we dont get bored with this game when we do with so many others, it doesnt hold our hand. I dont know though, maybe a fix/change/etc is in order here, maybe there could be a very rare "bag" or cloak or even maybe a random property that could give you (extra) resistance against your scrolls getting burned. I just like how brutally "realistic" the game tries to be and it seems pretty realistic that some ancient dry paper you have in your bag/pockets would get burned if you were drenched in napalm(as it were).

Ive played some other roguelikes where cloaks(with FR) gave a bonus to scrolls check against getting burned up, i think thats a pretty fair idea(if the cloak is FR and its at least mostly wrapped around you, fire isnt exactly getting through(with full power).
Last edited by variouselite on Wednesday, 18th September 2013, 02:45, edited 1 time in total.

Dis Charger

Post Wednesday, 18th September 2013, 02:44

clothes and books should burn, too

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 18th September 2013, 02:47

maybe they should, but if you toss a heavy oldschool item of clothing, damp with your sweat into a fire, or a heavybound book the same, its not exactly gonna just poof like some dry paper will. you know?

Pandemonium Purger

Post Wednesday, 18th September 2013, 07:07

variouselite wrote:Its a function of the game, I agree that it is brutal, but if youre playing crawl enough to get stickyflamed you must have at least some appreciation for the fact that the game can be brutal. Its what makes the game fascinating, and so endlessly entertaining to me anyway. You lose concentration for half a sec or you fail to anticipate the abilities of a monster you could potentially face and you get bent the fork over.

Losing all your scrolls is just plain annoying. It'll reduce your possibilities for escape, sure - but it's not very avoidable.
Zot:5 and no conservation? Say goodbye to all your scrolls. Unless you drop a good portion of them, which you should. Because degenerate behaviour is discouraged.
And nothing quite beats the annoyance of seeing the limited consumables you've scrapped together throughout the game all turning to smoke because "haha fuk u".

I'm not even going to start on the realm of "All Your Scrolls Turn To ..." Smoke Demons known as "The Pandemonium". (Population: Neqoxecs, smoke demons, smoke demons)
Amnesiac wrote:

Why is that?

Conservation is far from guaranteed, and to get MDA you have to kill up to several mottled dragons.
All of whom have a very good chance to cover you with "NO SCROLLS ALLOWED" Flame. In which case you'll lose a good chunk of your scrolls already.

Spoiler: show
rant warning

Zot is my most hated area of the game, not because of things like Killer Klowns, Tentacled Monstrosities or the legendary Orbs of Fire - no. It's because of DRACONIANS.
Draconians are those little pricks that like to spam their breath ability at you, so much that they at times just straight up stand waiting in the distance for it to recharge.
Oh, and their breaths include "Flame cloud somehow always happening to be on your position", "Sticky flame", "Potion shattering" and "Corrode equipment".
They also come packed with spells like "Spam death drakes", "Blink other", "Crystal spear", "Smite"+"Hellfire burst", and the famous "Hellfire"+"Sticky flame"+"Hellfire burst" combo.
take it easy
  Code:
!lg * won !DD-- min=turns -log
<Sequell> 20749. Bloax, XL24 VSTm, T:13320: http://crawl.lantea.net/crawl/morgue/Bloax/morgue-Bloax-20140907-000920.txt

Did you know that I like ruining crawl every now and then? Go check it out.

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 18th September 2013, 21:03

I hear you man. Im not saying I think its fair or something that I would be upset about being changed. Why did you quote part of my post there though? it doesn't really seem like you said anything in relation to the quoted portion. I basically agree with you anyway, all I am saying is that sometimes things like this make a game *more* enjoyable, in a twisted sadistic way. Theres plenty of games out there that make everything simple and easy if thats what you like. I like dcss *because* its sadistic.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Wednesday, 18th September 2013, 22:22

Early morning speech, most likely. "Except losing all your scrolls is just plain annoying. It'll reduce your possibilities of escape, sure - but it's not very avoidable or difficult or anything. Just plain annoying." Sounds more like it.
take it easy
  Code:
!lg * won !DD-- min=turns -log
<Sequell> 20749. Bloax, XL24 VSTm, T:13320: http://crawl.lantea.net/crawl/morgue/Bloax/morgue-Bloax-20140907-000920.txt

Did you know that I like ruining crawl every now and then? Go check it out.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 19th September 2013, 02:41

delarado wrote:A melee character cannot kill a mottled draconian from +6 tiles away really

Oh, a melee character. How unfortunate that wands and crossbows and javelins and god abilities and corners and elemental evokers and scrolls of fog/fear and rods and magic are all completely off-limits to one of those!

For this message the author ontoclasm has received thanks:
Amnesiac

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 19th September 2013, 04:19

ontoclasm wrote:Oh, a melee character. How unfortunate that wands and crossbows and javelins and god abilities and corners and elemental evokers and scrolls of fog/fear and rods and magic are all completely off-limits to one of those!

In all fairness if you're talking about an early mottled dragon scrolls/wands are likely the only viable ranged options for a melee char, and even then only fear/blinking is guaranteed to instantly work (a cold wand will probably take 2-3 shots at low evoc, assuming you've got one). Corners obviously depend on where the dragon was encountered.

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 19th September 2013, 04:28

zugundertherug wrote:
ontoclasm wrote:Oh, a melee character. How unfortunate that wands and crossbows and javelins and god abilities and corners and elemental evokers and scrolls of fog/fear and rods and magic are all completely off-limits to one of those!

In all fairness if you're talking about an early mottled dragon scrolls/wands are likely the only viable ranged options for a melee char, and even then only fear/blinking is guaranteed to instantly work (a cold wand will probably take 2-3 shots at low evoc, assuming you've got one). Corners obviously depend on where the dragon was encountered.

Right, but delarado was complaining about clearning D27... probably had/should have had a way to deal with it. Of course, sheer bad luck means you can still get pegged with sticky flame despite good play. All the same... on D27, you can take losing some blinking and teleport scrolls.

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 19th September 2013, 22:48

and into wrote:Right, but delarado was complaining about clearning D27

Ah did not see that.

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 20th September 2013, 05:00

I agree, sticky flame isn't so much a threat as a nuisance. If it had the same chance each round (or maybe a little less) of destroying scrolls as a normal fire spell, I'd be fine with it. As is, it so drastically puts your items at risk that it encourages dull gameplay - retreat around a corner to hit "d?", kill the otherwise easy monster, go back and ",a", or at higher levels just don't even bother carrying an entire class of items in zot.

For this message the author minstrel has received thanks:
Amnesiac

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 20th September 2013, 12:31

Just because something CAN be dealt with, doesn't mean it should remain unchanged.

I CAN deal with a boss at work that cusses me out all day long, but that doesn't mean I should have to.

Walking around a corner in a tight corridor to be set on fire and lose half of your scrolls is not fun, or adding in any way to the experience of the game. It is unavoidable, and stupid.

I'm not saying remove it, i'm just saying rework it slightly so SOMETHING can be done about it. at the moment there is only one way to deal with it, once its happened - and that is rare to spawn. This needs to be changed IMO, but obviously nobody agrees with me.

The next time you play, I hope you walk around a corner and get set on fire by a lone mottled something and lose your scrolls so you feel my pain!

If I had any opportunity to deal with it, i'd agree with you. But I didnt, and often don't. Making someone read teleportation, quaff speed and run away from an otherwise easy pack of monsters just to save some scrolls is not a fun mechanic. It doesn't need removal, it needs to have some way to deal with it thats not an amulet of conservation. I still like my idea of waiting in place while on fire stopping the item destruction.

Imagine if there was no potion of cure mutation and everyone said "just kill mutation capable monsters from out of LOS"...

But as mentioned, everyone is so divided on this, I'll just deal with it :)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 20th September 2013, 12:37

Actually I agree with you but I suggest you to change attitude to it. Being adjacent to Mottle Dragon is like being adjacent to Neqoxec - you can do little about it. Fire Crab is even worse since you cannot dodge fireballs which leave flaming clouds. Games without conservation are special and this is good for variety reasons, don't have too many scrolls and expect them to be lost eventually (I lost all my scrolls and almost all potions in Pan, for example).

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice