Small question about game

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 14th September 2013, 20:44

Small question about game

Does Crawl has hidden property of difficulty? Or does it scales monsters according to character's XL? I mean, I just had a _very_ weird run. It felt, like I was incredibly lucky, while game was trying its best to kill me (and it succeeded, btw).
I played a Demonspawn monk of Xobeh, trying to go for UC, and:
+ I've got claws mutation and really quickly got 3rd level of it.
- got cursed dagger, that stuck to my hands.
+ it was a good dagger, actually, Poison branded one. With it I managed to kill my first ogre and that "thin troll" unique.
- They both appeared at DL 3-4, I barely survived both.
+ I skinned that troll.
- No Enchant Armor scroll up to DL 7
+ I've got first level of thin skeletal structure, which is nice, 'cause i was going for lot of DEX.
- I had like ~2 stabs with 5+ steals skill level for 7 levels of dungeon. Everyone freaking knows, that I'm somewhere here.
+ Found Nemelex's altar really fast. Second gift was Legendary Deck of Wonders (first I've got immediately after joining a god as monk ), from which I've got one Experience card and to Sage cards for Fighting and Unarmed Combat.
- Second gift was given at ****. state.
+ I've quickly got ~20 points of DEX, ~5 in Dodging and 16-19 EV.
- 2 in AC, only auxiliary armor I'd found was cursed -2 helm.
+ I've got really nice damage out of UC, killing ogre in 2-3 hits.
- Everything hits me. If it dies after two hits - it hits me two times before death.
+ I've been really overleveled. As a demonspawn, I had 10 XL upon entering 7th floor.
- That happened, cause game has been sending me nice company to play with. I've got 4 ogres, 3 orc priests, two orc mages and one orc warrior protecting OM entrance. And they were caring not about me being to hight leveled for them. Orc warrior has been chopping ~40% of my live (which was somewhere between 50 and 60) with every freaking hit of his +0 hand axe of nothing.

And so on. Finally, I'd faced an orc warrior almost in one-on-one battle, with him wielding another +0 hand axe of nothing and me, having 15+ in UC skill, 20 DEX, troll hide regeneration effect, 3rd level of claws and first level of spiky. Guess, who won?

Well, I understand, that most of this just RND Goddess, having fun with me, but the thing I don't get - how everything manages to keep up with insanely overpowered character? It's not like first time, I facing something like this. I had few more runs, where it feels like everything is against you. I've even got a run, where I'd leveled my Demonspawn on those past demon island vaults up to XL 13 and got full Autofreeze facet somewhere at 4~5 DL, only to die ~30 turns later to freaking Sigmund. So, that's the reason for question.

P.S. Maybe this forum should have a "quick question" thread?

Dis Charger

Post Saturday, 14th September 2013, 21:04

Re: Small question about game

I think that there is something that not depends from the RNG and contributes to what you say : the player's attitude !
As the game seems to *help* you (good drops, mutations...) you tend to feel overpowered and play with less care...
Hybris kills !
Online stats
Fastest Hell runes (enter Hell branch -> get the rune)
Icy : 56 / Iron : 126 / Obsidian : 215 / Bone : 125

For this message the author mopl has received thanks:
Sandman25

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 14th September 2013, 21:17

That's the reason for most of times I die, but it doesn't anything like this in this kind of runs. It is freaking hell. You can't take lightly even a mere goblin, 'cause it's going to destroy you! Game will kill you if you try to relax for just one floor. It's just if you lean on the back of chair, rest a while and look at the character stats, you'll think: "What the hell? He is so freaking powerful! What the hell is going on?", cause for ~30 previous runs game was much easier at this state, despite you having a much weaker character.

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 14th September 2013, 22:19

AFAIK XL is not factored in to monster generation, only effective DL (each of the different branches have a 'base DL' from which the effective DL is calculated based on depth into the branch).
Your experience looks pretty typical for a character with atrocious AC, unless you are forgetting to mention part of it.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 16th September 2013, 15:18

Everything you describe sounds like a pretty typical run.

Keep in mind what mopl says about attitude being a big factor in how your run goes. If you perceive your character to be lucky/strong, soon you will run into "bad luck" when you run into a normal situation and then take risks you really shouldn't.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 17th September 2013, 11:07

epsilon wrote:Does Crawl has hidden property of difficulty? Or does it scales monsters according to character's XL?

No. Very few things that can be observed or changed by the player affect monster, item and terrain generation. The time you spend on a level influences the difficulty of newly spawning monsters on that level (this is usually not a problem if you don't deliberately spend extra time on a level), and items you have previously found or identified affect some kinds of item generation. Also most vaults (specially designed level chunks) can only spawn once. I think that's pretty much it, the time you spend on a level is the only of these you can influence.
epsilon wrote:P.S. Maybe this forum should have a "quick question" thread?

It used to have one, but it was closed to make the forum less confusing and disorganized and allow easier searching. Personally I liked it, but the reasons for closing it are pretty good. :(

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice