My pet fire crab

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 12th September 2013, 12:53

My pet fire crab

This might be better in Crazy Yiuf's Corner, but it seems like it might actually be useful, so I'm posting here instead.

I'm currently playing a DjEn on CAO, got an early vault with a gold dragon and promptly enchanted its skin. Now on Vault 2 and ran into a fire crab. Rather than kill it, the idea occurred to me that I could use it as a pet, and name it George.

I mentioned the GDA because it gives me enough AC/GDR that the physical portion of George's hits only do 1-2 damage, and even without a regen ring on, that's pretty much the same as 0.

And on the bright side, I now have a semi-permanent gigantic cloud of flame belching forth from George everywhere I go. The downside is, I need to drop my scrolls and I suspect George might start to steal my XP. But on the upside...gigantic cloud of flaming death constantly around me.

Has anyone else tried this out?

I'll edit with any updates as I clear this level.

Update: sadly I had to make an uncontrolled teleport when Trog sent his forces in, and I haven't seen George since. I suspect he's still alive, since there were no ranged attackers nearby at the time, but he's not the brightest little fellow, and could have wandered into a Zot trap without adult supervision.

On the bright side, I can report that indeed he was quite an effective little pet. Being mindless, he didn't mind coughing up massive clouds of flame into Yaktaurs, Vault Wardens, Ettins, etc. And indeed yes he did take a good chunk of XP away, but that might be bearable for something like the Vault 5 entrance, or Elf 3 or someplace else where getting the treasure safely is more important than XP.

Update update: Yay, George is alive and well! I've sealed him in a little room where he can keep warm and toasty until I need him. Maybe I'll take him to Vault:5 later just for fun.
Last edited by minstrel on Thursday, 12th September 2013, 13:20, edited 2 times in total.

For this message the author minstrel has received thanks: 6
Confidence Interval, Lasty, nago, rebthor, Sandman25, XuaXua

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 12th September 2013, 12:58

Re: My pet fire crab

Haha, excellent!

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 12th September 2013, 14:41

Take George to Cocytus (when you are powerful enough)!!

BTW, great stuff :D!

Edit. Or don't because an ice blast killed my version of George. Also torment. Also apparently George cannot light trees on fire (Forest) :(.

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 12th September 2013, 14:58

At first I thought this topic was going to be about how someone enslaved a fire crab or used enslave soul or something and was waiting for the YASD information. This is far, far better :D

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 12th September 2013, 16:24

Well, I took George down to Vault:5. My plan was to fire off my two lamps of fire and let George do his thing, in the hopes of posting a screenshot of 24 Vault Guards encased in an inferno of hellish blazing death.

While the guards definitely didn't fare so well, George unfortunately didn't do much beside whack me ineffectually. Like most monsters, it seems he uses his special ability at range far more than when you're in melee.

So for anyone wanting to try this trick, the moral of the story is keep your fire crab a few squares away, so he can regularly encase you and your enemies in blazing doom. Otherwise, he will just get cuddly and nip like a fiery chihuahua at your heels.

Edit - Sadly, George died when he tried to rub against the water elemental from my phial of floods :(

On the bright side, I'm considering adopting a hellion in his place (from the local SPCD). Maybe I will call him Juan the Hellion. I wonder if Juan will get all blasty when I'm standing next to other things, like, say, Antaeus...

Edit update - Juan and Penny (his sister) are adjusting nicely to their new home. However, they seem reluctant to get friendly with anything beyond mindless undead and don't get fiery when I'm next to fellow demons that might be hurt by hellfire. So, sadly, I think I will have to leave them in Hell, where they will be warm and happy.

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 13th September 2013, 16:35

Time to roll Djinni and have a posse of Hellions following me around.
TeHe of Jivya - 6 rune
MiFi of TSO - 3 rune
NaTm of Chei - 15 rune

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 13th September 2013, 17:41

debris wrote:Time to roll Djinni and have a posse of Hellions following me around.

It wasn't quite as impressive as I'd hoped. I got up to 4 at one point, but then you're having to click a key every time you move because of the hellfire spam. And they never cast hellfire when I was next to a demon, although they did when I was next to skeletons and zombies. I'm not sure what they do next to living things, because I was in the hells the whole time. I suspect they wouldn't cast, but it might be worth seeing...the carnage they'd wreak on most of the main branches and even Zot would be Xomlarious if they did cast when you're next to living beings.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice