How do you play Fe?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 3rd September 2013, 22:54

How do you play Fe?

I start as magic background character and still die too often. I was at 1hp twice vs a single Orc Wizard, Gnoll with Wand of Draining has just killed me by a single zap from full HP at XL 4, 16 hp is ridiculous. Do you focus on Stealth and avoid anything even remotely dangerous?

Wizlab Walloper

Post Wednesday, 4th September 2013, 00:03

Re: How do you play Fe?

Sandman25 wrote:I start as magic background character and still die too often. I was at 1hp twice vs a single Orc Wizard, Gnoll with Wand of Draining has just killed me by a single zap from full HP at XL 4, 16 hp is ridiculous. Do you focus on Stealth and avoid anything even remotely dangerous?

don't play Fe
:D

More seriously, it depends a lot on what classes you start as. Summoner is a good choice, as it shields you from direct danger (not as much with the new changes to Summoning, but still better than nothing). New Skald is also a surprisingly good choice, since you have more mana than most characters, a good Charms aptitude, and can put Spirit Shield (normally a poor spell) to its best use for extra HP. You said you were doing spellcasters, but Berserker is traditionally the best Felid background.

Less background specific, Felid's can eat chunks up to Engorged, so food isn't really a problem. This means you can skip even moderately dangerous threats (easy with good Stealth and extra racial speed) without worrying as much about your food clock. Do this if you want to survive-- but be careful not to fall too far behind on EXP.

For this message the author Azrael has received thanks:
Sandman25

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 4th September 2013, 01:23

Azrael wrote:
Sandman25 wrote:I start as magic background character and still die too often. I was at 1hp twice vs a single Orc Wizard, Gnoll with Wand of Draining has just killed me by a single zap from full HP at XL 4, 16 hp is ridiculous. Do you focus on Stealth and avoid anything even remotely dangerous?

don't play Fe

More seriously, it depends a lot on what classes you start as. Summoner is a good choice, as it shields you from direct danger (not as much with the new changes to Summoning, but still better than nothing). New Skald is also a surprisingly good choice, since you have more mana than most characters, a good Charms aptitude, and can put Spirit Shield (normally a poor spell) to its best use for extra HP. You said you were doing spellcasters, but Berserker is traditionally the best Felid background.

Less background specific, Felid's can eat chunks up to Engorged, so food isn't really a problem. This means you can skip even moderately dangerous threats (easy with good Stealth and extra racial speed) without worrying as much about your food clock. Do this if you want to survive-- but be careful not to fall too far behind on EXP.

I played FeWz and FeVm. Aptitudes are not good, Fe is better with Hexes and Charms, but I really wanted to play a pure caster with Conjurations mostly. It looks like Fe is hard indeed as wiki suggests.

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 4th September 2013, 01:47

Berserker & high EV dodging is pretty effective in my experience. Don't need to waste skill points with pesky Invocations since Trog is cool. 8-)

For this message the author Klown has received thanks:
Sandman25

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 4th September 2013, 03:29

Sandman25 wrote:
Azrael wrote:

don't play Fe

I played FeWz and FeVm. Aptitudes are not good, Fe is better with Hexes and Charms, but I really wanted to play a pure caster with Conjurations mostly. It looks like Fe is hard indeed as wiki suggests.

Note that Battlesphere, Dazzling Spray, and Fulminant prism all use hexes and charms, so a FeCj is actually pretty feasible.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
Sandman25

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 4th September 2013, 05:07

Sandman25 wrote:Do you focus on Stealth and avoid anything even remotely dangerous?

Don't even need to focus on stealth; anyone with at least normal move speed can turn around and go back the other way when they spot an orc caster. And anyone even remotely squishy probably should. Having a gnoll one-shot your level 4 16 HP character with a wand requires very bad luck of a gnoll finding a wand. All an Orc Priest needs to manage the same feat is a good damage roll on smite.

For this message the author Hurkyl has received thanks:
Sandman25

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 4th September 2013, 14:52

Fe is hard! No question about it. Berserker is good for teaching you the basics; Transmuter is also really fun (blade hands!!). Lately I have been experimenting with some offbeat god choices like Okawaru and TSO. Their gifts/holy weapons are completely wasted on Felid, but the combat buffs are really nice. Spider form + divine shield is a nice combo for escaping trouble (don't bite anyone though!). If you get overwhelmed then Cleansing Flame will thin the ranks. Oh yes, and I also really enjoy Makhleb and/or Jiyva for Fe. :)

For this message the author whitmo has received thanks:
Sandman25

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice