What do you usually do with ZoT5 in 15 rune games?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Clear before getting 4th rune
26%
Clear before getting 6th rune
15%
Clear after getting all runes
26%
Get the orb (without clearing the whole level) after getting all runes
26%
Other (please specify)
6%

Total votes : 34

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 1st September 2013, 12:33

Last edited by Sandman25 on Sunday, 1st September 2013, 13:10, edited 1 time in total.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 1st September 2013, 12:40

Re: What do you usually do with ZoT5 in 15 rune games?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 1st September 2013, 13:11

pratamawirya wrote:

Sorry, I didn't create the poll properly. Now you can just vote instead.

Edit. Oops, I voted for a wrong item.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Sunday, 1st September 2013, 14:22

Get the orb (without clearing the whole level) after getting all runes
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 2nd September 2013, 09:50

Other: Park my character outside of Zot and start a brand new character up, probably of a different race/species. Im collecting uber-powerful characters because I have an innate fear of completion, maybe some day I'll bother with some orb runs..

Zot Zealot

Post Monday, 2nd September 2013, 13:58

Assuming I ever do another 15-rune run, it's normally: having got all the runes, grab the Orb without clearing the whole thing and leave. I suck at the ninja stuff, mostly this involves killing maybe 1/4 of the level.

I hate Zot in general (although not as much as the Hells) and try to spend as little time there as possible.
I am sure I played flawflessly. This was an utmost unfair death. -- gorbeh

Barkeep

Post Monday, 2nd September 2013, 21:25

I said "Clear before getting 6th rune" because I feel that's what I usually do, but it really depends.

Generally I will go ahead and do Zot 5 before Pan and Hell, because Zot 5 tends to be the most dangerous area of the game overall (outside of Ziggurats) and if I'm planning to spend several more hours taking a character through extended, I don't want to risk losing him in Zot 5, which (unlike Hells etc.) is not optional if you want to win, so I might as well clear it.

I'll hold off on doing Zot 5 until after Tomb and Slime if I can cobble together the things and spells that make those branches relatively easy.

I will definitely delay clearing Zot 5, however, if I have access to Death's Door or Revivification, but need more experience to get them reliably castable. I always do Zot 1 to 4 after getting three runes and doing Dungeon down to 27 (plus Crypt, Elven Halls, etc., I generally don't bother with Blade). Zot 1 to 4 is dangerous, but not ridiculously so, and the experience is very good. (Plus good shot at cloak of preservation from Draconians if one hasn't turned up yet, which makes Slime less of a headache.)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 4th September 2013, 18:26

I'll generally clear Zot:5 the random portion right after zot:4, but not enter the vault until I'm done with all rune collection for the game. I consider this close enough to the option "clear after all runes" that I just picked that option.

Also by clear I mean I walk to the orb, then walk out. I'm not fully clearing the other side of the end vault.
Last edited by tasonir on Thursday, 5th September 2013, 19:50, edited 1 time in total.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 4th September 2013, 22:06

I am actually surprised by current results, even after taking into account my wrong vote for "Clear before getting 4th rune" instead of "Clear after getting all runes".

Barkeep

Post Friday, 6th September 2013, 07:50

Sandman25 wrote:I am actually surprised by current results, even after taking into account my wrong vote for "Clear before getting 4th rune" instead of "Clear after getting all runes".

What did you find surprising about them, if you don't mind my asking? (I'm interested in different people's rationale for when/how they do Zot 5, too.)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 6th September 2013, 11:22

and into wrote:
Sandman25 wrote:I am actually surprised by current results, even after taking into account my wrong vote for "Clear before getting 4th rune" instead of "Clear after getting all runes".

What did you find surprising about them, if you don't mind my asking? (I'm interested in different people's rationale for when/how they do Zot 5, too.)

I believe it is optimal not to enter ZoT5 before obtaining all 15 runes for 2 reasons: mutations and too high danger.

Zot Zealot

Post Friday, 6th September 2013, 12:47

I voted for Get the orb (without clearing the whole level) after getting all runes.

Having 15 runes means you're usually overpowered on Z:5. I only once had a problem in Z:5 after picking up the orb: cerebov and some other nasty foes arrived before I was able to take the stairs up to Z:4.

Another question - slightly related to this topic - is what to do with Z:1-4. This depends on how strong my char seems to be. If I want to improve XL and skills before entering pan I usually clear most of Z:1-4.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 6th September 2013, 20:59

Re:

Turukano wrote:I voted for Get the orb (without clearing the whole level) after getting all runes.

Having 15 runes means you're usually overpowered on Z:5. I only once had a problem in Z:5 after picking up the orb: cerebov and some other nasty foes arrived before I was able to take the stairs up to Z:4.

Another question - slightly related to this topic - is what to do with Z:1-4. This depends on how strong my char seems to be. If I want to improve XL and skills before entering pan I usually clear most of Z:1-4.

I always do Z1-4 ASAP when I don't have cloak of preservation. In my last game I got slime rune before entering ZoT but partly it is because I felt lazy to return back to Lair (I have no stash).

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice