Extended?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 31st August 2013, 21:17

Extended?

Being rather new, the only concept I have of this game is that I need to get 3 of 15 runes, get the orb, and escape. However, on the forums, every now and then someone mentions playing 'extended', which from what I understand is different, but I am not quite sure what it entails. Is it like trying to get all 15 runes before zot or something? Could someone explain?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 31st August 2013, 21:26

Re: Extended?

"Extended" are a number of harder areas of the game, several of which contain runes.

Generally going for "all 15 runes" is something that some people do. "Extended" is the portion of the game outside the easiest 3 (Or depending on your point of view "simplest 3") runes plus the levels required to get the Orb.

Depending on who exactly you're talking to "extended" nearly always means:
Pandemonium (5 runes),
Hell (4 runes),
Tomb (1 rune)
and some people consider some or all of:
Elf,
Slime (1 rune),
Forest/Crypt,
Abyss (1 rune)
to be also part of "extended"
Some players will say that the rune in Vault:5 is harder to get than the one in Slime:5
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
Daggtex

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 31st August 2013, 21:28

I believe yes, it's just getting 15 runes. I am attempting this myself at the moment, and have 6 or 7 so far.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 31st August 2013, 21:30

It is exactly like trying to get more than 3 runes. Most players tend to either get 3, 5 (so they go for abyss and slime, but not tomb, pan, or hells) , or all 15 of the runes. I try to go for 15, because I'm a completionist.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 31st August 2013, 21:31

Well, if you get say, 10 runes, it would be fair to say you "Completed some, but not all, of extended"
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 31st August 2013, 23:55

Ok, so its not like there are things to do after getting the orb then, right? Just ascension?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 1st September 2013, 00:22

If you pick up the orb, spoilers, you get perpetually attacked, so to do extended, most players clear zot:5, then leave the orb alone, and get the other runes, then come back and pick up the orb.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 1st September 2013, 01:59

Perhaps most players don't enter ZoT5 if they are going to do extended. We'd need a voting to be sure.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 1st September 2013, 05:00

Sandman25 wrote:Perhaps most players don't enter ZoT5 if they are going to do extended. We'd need a voting to be sure.

Start a poll.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 1st September 2013, 08:41

Non-extended (if you count Slime as non-extended) + regular 3 branches are the only rune branches where most of your enemies are still living.
Change tactics accordingly (Life Prot is helpful, ditch or switch Vampiric weapons to Holy wrath etc.) for the other 11 rune branches.
Last edited by graffen69 on Tuesday, 11th March 2014, 04:02, edited 2 times in total.

Barkeep

Post Friday, 6th September 2013, 07:01

Just to clarify, Daggtex:

1.) Don't pick up the orb unless you are ready to walk out with it. Certain areas are cut off completely once you pick up the orb, and certain other effects make it a very, very bad idea to dilly dally once you are holding it.

2.) Nearly everyone gets their 3 required runes from the lair branches shoals/swamp and snake/spider, plus vaults. The major exceptions to this are Lugonu or Jivya worshippers, who are practically given (respectively) the rune from abyss or slime.

3.) After getting those *required* runes, you can dip into Zot as much or little as you want, just don't pick up the orb on Zot 5. Zot 5 is extremely dangerous though, with lots of enemies you likely haven't seen anywhere else, so be careful.

4.) The other optional branches (like Elf and Crypt/Forest) should be done before Zot and before "extended" (Hells, Pan, Abyss, Tomb, Slime) in almost all cases—again, major exceptions being Lugonu or Jivya worship.

For this message the author and into has received thanks:
Daggtex

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 10th September 2013, 16:19

and into wrote:1.) Don't pick up the orb unless you are ready to walk out with it. Certain areas are cut off completely once you pick up the orb, and certain other effects make it a very, very bad idea to dilly dally once you are holding it.

Or you could be hardcore and do an orb tomb run. This is generally a banner in the approximately bi-yearly tournament.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice