Which mace to chose.

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 21st August 2013, 01:17

Which mace to chose.

So i have whip of electro cution +0, +1 Mace of protection +0, +3 and morning star of freezing -1, +2.

Which one is best? My mace skill is 10.

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 21st August 2013, 01:19

Re: Which mace to chose.

Unless you're mysteriously playing a stealth M&Fer, whip.
"Making sure all that misinformation is grammatically correct since August 2011."

If you have any recommendations* regarding the Crawl Wiki, message me and I'll look into it.

* - Deletion of the Crawl Wiki is not a good recommendation.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 21st August 2013, 03:38

If I'm playing a melee dude, then I'll use both the whip and the morningstar. The whip is pretty nice, though I probably won't enchant it. Freezing is also a good brand, especially against cold-blooded dudes.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 28th August 2013, 13:22

Due to what might be a bug, brands don't add noise to melee. The only exception is the electrical explosion that happens on elec brand triggers against targets in water.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 28th August 2013, 16:23

Lasty wrote:Due to what might be a bug, brands don't add noise to melee. The only exception is the electrical explosion that happens on elec brand triggers against targets in water.

Actually that's not true. Brands alter the base multiplier for melee weapon noise, however this has a cap (the same cap as shouting) Electricity adds more noise than other brands.

Brands don't add any additional noise when they do damage though, they just alter the amount of damage that the regular weapon noise makes.
  Code:
    case SPWPN_ELECTROCUTION:
        noise_factor += 800 / max(1, damage_done);

Code:

int level = noise_factor * damage_done / 100 / 4;

if (noise_factor > 0)
        level = max(1, level);

// Cap melee noise at shouting volume.
    level = min(12, level);

if (level > 0)
        noisy(level, pos, attacker->mindex());

noise_factor = 0;
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Dis Charger

Post Wednesday, 28th August 2013, 16:58

siprus wrote:So i have whip of electro cution +0, +1 Mace of protection +0, +3 and morning star of freezing -1, +2.

Which one is best? My mace skill is 10.

at 10 it's the whip, but you'd want to bring it to 12 so it would be at the mindelay, morningstar is for targets that resist electicity, obviously, but you could bring your M&F to a higher level and that mace could be your all-purpose weapon, especially if you have a high str. Or just leave M&F at 12 and train something else that you need.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 29th August 2013, 15:14

Siegurt wrote:Actually that's not true. Brands alter the base multiplier for melee weapon noise, however this has a cap (the same cap as shouting) Electricity adds more noise than other brands.

Brands don't add any additional noise when they do damage though, they just alter the amount of damage that the regular weapon noise makes.

You're right that that seems to be the intended effect of the code, but due to what might be a bug, it doesn't actually happen. Before the call to handle_noise(), there's a call to adjust_noise(), which (at least in the version I have code for) overwrites the noise values set by the brand.

If it did work, it would execute this addition:
  Code:
noise_factor += 800 / max(1, damage_done);

Which is silly, because the higher the damage done is, the lower the added noise factor is. I'm guessing no one has noticed just because melee combat noise is pretty difficult to perceive anyway.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 29th August 2013, 22:13

Sorry, you're correct, that bit is executed by the setting up of the brand damage, which actually happens (a bit counterintuitively) during the "is hit" phase, prior to doing the weapon damage the adjust_noise function (Which alters the noise_factor for base weapon noise) then overwrites the noise_factor prior to actually handling the noise itself.

Note that the noise factor is *multiplied* by the damage done, so the +=(800/damage done), if it worked and wasn't simply overwritten, it would effectively add 800 to the noise factor (which is then divided by 400, so effectively it would add two to the final noise level, on a scale where 12 is the cap and equivalent to shouting)
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 30th August 2013, 12:07

Siegurt wrote:Note that the noise factor is *multiplied* by the damage done, so the +=(800/damage done), if it worked and wasn't simply overwritten, it would effectively add 800 to the noise factor (which is then divided by 400, so effectively it would add two to the final noise level, on a scale where 12 is the cap and equivalent to shouting)

Ah, gotcha -- I didn't follow it through to that part. That's good to know, in case weapon brand noise ever gets fixed. :)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 30th August 2013, 15:34

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice