Good spells for melee/hybrid caster.

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 30th August 2013, 11:54

Good spells for melee/hybrid caster.

I've been playing few skald runs and i have been playing melee caster. I of course have learned most easy charms spells i could find and phaseswift and blink + control teleport from tranlocations. + i have often planned to get ring of fire if i ever get that far. Anyway what spells would you recommend for melee hybrid, who uses weapons.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 30th August 2013, 12:11

Re: Good spells for melee/hybrid caster.

Summoning spells complement this sort of build quite well. Summon Butterflies is great for everyone, but having one decent-level summon (Shadow Creatures or Summon Ugly Things, perhaps) can be very effective when you need backup.

It's not a terrible idea to train up one good conjuration, alternately: bolt of fire, poisonous cloud, iron shot . . . depending on the conjuration you choose, it can add a way to soften up approaching enemies, handle crowds, or take out things that need to die right now.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 30th August 2013, 19:02

I always learn Controlled Blink if I can. Going this way you get Wrap Weapon (if I am not mistaken with the name, the spell grants temporary Distortion brand) for free.

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 30th August 2013, 19:13

Haste really is just an unbelievably good spell once you get the Charms training in for it. Eventually adding Conjurations and an elemental magic school certainly helps (even melee characters can benefit from attacking at range now and then), and if your character has lousy Conjurations aptitudes, there are still some decent attack magic options that only use one school: Lee's Rapid Deconstruction and Airstrike are both awesome (if situational) smite-targeted spells that aren't too tricky to get online. Apart from that, just don't forget your low level buffs and utility spells: Apportation, Flight, Shroud of Golubria, Regeneration, Swiftness, Repel Missiles...
"Making sure all that misinformation is grammatically correct since August 2011."

If you have any recommendations* regarding the Crawl Wiki, message me and I'll look into it.

* - Deletion of the Crawl Wiki is not a good recommendation.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 30th August 2013, 20:19

I want phaseswift as a spell. It just sounds cool.
  Code:
Jory screams, "No, no!" before exploding into a cloud of blood!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 31st August 2013, 02:20

PhaseSwift:
Level 4 Translocation/Air/Charms

When moving to a new square you may randomly "skip" That space and move a space immediately in front of that space, provided it's empty, you cannot skip spaces and end up inside a wall, creature, or anything else, only an empty square.

Immediately after "skipping" a space, you will get a 1 turn bonus to your Evasion, and creatures have a chance of losing track of you (Reverting to "wandering" unless they pass a stealth/notice check)

The duration, chance of skipping, as well as the evasion bonus granted and the chance of creatures losing track of you are all based on spell power.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice