killer bee on D:3? Seriously?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 30th August 2013, 09:46

killer bee on D:3? Seriously?

As you can see on the turn count, this isn't the result of OOD. It came into view as soon as I went down the stairs. I quit the game because I'd rather start a new game than having to deal with it...

Was there some adjustments to make these annoying insects to appear at earlier level? Or some kind of special vault I've never seen till now? Having a fast poison attacker at this stage just seems too much IMO...
Attachments
mfsa.jpg
mfsa.jpg (219.07 KiB) Viewed 10193 times

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 30th August 2013, 10:03

Re: killer bee on D:3? Seriously?

Crawl can generate OOD's even if you don't scum: http://crawl.develz.org/info/index.php?q=ood

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 30th August 2013, 10:06

Few months back I remember starting a character and the first enemy I saw was an orc wizard.
Man that was a fun evening.

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 30th August 2013, 10:10

I played a while ago as a DEFE. The first enemy I saw was a gnoll. I killed it, got a smoking axe i think it was. Wielded it and it was a distortion weapon. Unwielded and got sent to the abyss on i think turn 90.

DCSS is a troll.

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 30th August 2013, 10:11

dck wrote:Few months back I remember starting a character and the first enemy I saw was an orc wizard.
Man that was a fun evening.

I'm pretty sure that I've once seen a centaur on d:1 after like a hundred turns of so. Some people said that it shouldn't be possible so I don't know.

Dis Charger

Post Friday, 30th August 2013, 10:15

I remember a swarm of bees on D:2-3 (I don't exactly remember). I open a door, there is a swarm... I close the door and put excusion. In the end some stupid orc has opened one of doors, but I didn't die, somehow.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 30th August 2013, 11:19

Crawl can generate OOD's even if you don't scum: http://crawl.develz.org/info/index.php?q=ood

I want to ask why.

And death yak guarding the lair? Glad I've never got that one.

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 30th August 2013, 11:33

I have seen red wasp in dungeon 3.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 30th August 2013, 12:13

delarado wrote:I played a while ago as a DEFE. The first enemy I saw was a gnoll. I killed it, got a smoking axe i think it was. Wielded it and it was a distortion weapon. Unwielded and got sent to the abyss on i think turn 90.

Why unwield it? Even aside from the risk of instant death, distortion weapons are particularly good for characters who don't want to spend much time in melee range of enemies.

For this message the author Lasty has received thanks:
Sandman25

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 30th August 2013, 12:27

Lasty wrote:
delarado wrote:I played a while ago as a DEFE. The first enemy I saw was a gnoll. I killed it, got a smoking axe i think it was. Wielded it and it was a distortion weapon. Unwielded and got sent to the abyss on i think turn 90.

Why unwield it? Even aside from the risk of instant death, distortion weapons are particularly good for characters who don't want to spend much time in melee range of enemies.

It was an uninvested character, if the axe was bad then I would have done the same.

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 30th August 2013, 13:18

Maybe you could have made it back down a floor, found a new staircase, then snuck to D4.

Worst I've had super early was D1 looking like an orcish mines level. Had a room with a few orc priests/wizards,etc.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Friday, 30th August 2013, 14:50

A few days back I found an iron dragon standing by a D:8 staircase. I didn't even feel guilty about dying.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 30th August 2013, 16:04

Trunk is throwing up all sorts of red Centaurs at me by D7.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 30th August 2013, 17:00

Just recently I had a DEWz game that spawned two Guardian Serpents on D:9. It also happened to be where the Lair entrance was.

And then Gastronok was at the beginning of Orc.

I was not very happy that game.

The worst part is I finally managed to get around the serpents, and then I died to a stupid mistake in Lair:8. And that was the end of me playing DEWz's for a little while...

Dis Charger

Post Friday, 30th August 2013, 18:18

I think OoD guardian serpents usually mean they are from a vault.
Last edited by Amnesiac on Friday, 30th August 2013, 20:47, edited 1 time in total.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 30th August 2013, 18:50

Code:
8961 | D:8      | Noticed a quicksilver dragon

Without any runed doors on the level.

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 30th August 2013, 19:20

Sandman25 wrote:
  Code:
8960 | D:8      | Became a very special plaything of the RNG

FTFY
"Making sure all that misinformation is grammatically correct since August 2011."

If you have any recommendations* regarding the Crawl Wiki, message me and I'll look into it.

* - Deletion of the Crawl Wiki is not a good recommendation.

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 30th August 2013, 20:05

Sandman25 wrote:
  Code:

...you win.

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 31st August 2013, 05:32

I think the worst I ever encountered was when I went down the stairs to D2.
Both Grinder and Sigmund one tile away, on either side of me.
For all I know, my rotting carcass is still lying on the stairs where I tried to run back up.

For this message the author Tristian has received thanks:
XuaXua

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 4th September 2013, 02:20

Just had my Deep Elf destroyed by a swarm of killer bees on D3. Potion of Speed wasn't helpful.

This is why I play Berserkers more and more. Just pop Berserk and beat any random early spawns...
Last edited by Klown on Saturday, 28th September 2013, 07:42, edited 1 time in total.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 4th September 2013, 10:21

I think pretty much any character that is susceptible to poison is going to succumb to multiple killer bees on D:3. Correct answer is run away, or perhaps if you feel awesome, try to lure and kill one bee for the significant XP gain it offers at this point.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 4th September 2013, 13:19

daggaz wrote:I think pretty much any character that is susceptible to poison is going to succumb to multiple killer bees on D:3. Correct answer is run away, or perhaps if you feel awesome, try to lure and kill one bee for the significant XP gain it offers at this point.

There are a handful of characters who should be able to handle this reasonably well, at least if there's a corridor around:

* Enchanters can EH the front bee and run.
* Wizards and FE can use Conjure Flame to burn the bees -- IIRC, they're stupid enough to walk into fire. If they aren't, you can use it to escape.
* Wizards and venom mage can use mephitic cloud and run.
* Ice elementalists from races with good HP or EV can probably get by with Freeze.
* Berserkers can berserk and hope that's good enough.
* Death knights may be able to take down bees with minions and/or injury mirror.
* Summoners and transmuters can overwhelm the bees with summons, or at least buy time to escape.

Everyone else is in trouble if they don't have access to a scroll of teleport or a good potion or something.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 4th September 2013, 14:06

Assassins definitely have and Healers might have a chance.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 4th September 2013, 14:36

Also, artificers can use wands of enslavement and EEs can probably get by with Sandblast and a handful of rocks after casting Stoneskin and/or use Petrify on the front bee. Durable AEs might be able to get by with Static Discharge.

That leaves the following classes without a good plan, though a few of them have good enough weapon skills that they might make it out if they get lucky:
* Fighter
* Gladiator
* Hunter
* Arcane Marksman
* Wanderer
* Chaos Knight
* Warper
* Abyssal Knight
* Skald
* Conjurer
* Necromancer

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 4th September 2013, 14:44

And a number of those have stealth, so a chance to silently retreat.

Barkeep

Post Friday, 6th September 2013, 08:26

Conjurer might get lucky with searing ray, if they've got enough MP and bee doesn't hit highest damage rolls or isn't right next to you when you start. Dicey though, I admit.

A single killer bee on D:3 is not much worse than early Sigmund or centaur or Grinder, and I think those are all fair. Early Hobgoblin bastards who lucked into great wands or weapons are much more unfair, to be honest. Ditto with a very very early (like right when you walk downstairs) D:2 kobold with a bunch of poison darts or blowgun and needles. And, as minmay pointed out, giant geckos (or a small pack of jackals) right off the bat can literally be an instant death sentence if you aren't playing a very strong background–species combo.

Now, a PACK of killer bees on D:3 would be crazy.

For the most part, though, these unlucky early spawns are only of concern for people who are going for winning streaks. Otherwise just start up a new guy, it is not like you were very invested in the one who got (in some cases literally) shafted. Very rarely you'll get a great early item drop, followed immediately by a BS death, but eh... the RNG giveth, the RNG taketh away.

EDIT: Also, not trying to be a jerk, but the only way you get good at dealing with things like D:3 killer bee is through practice. You should at least try to kill it!

Pandemonium Purger

Post Friday, 6th September 2013, 11:42

Oh lookie I just noticed something.
nordetsa wrote:I quit the game because I'd rather start a new game than having to deal with it...

How to deal with bee:

1) Read one of the 2 scrolls of teleportation you have identified.
2) Keep walking away from the bee.
3) Go downstairs after teleporting away.
4) ???
5) job's done
take it easy
  Code:
!lg * won !DD-- min=turns -log
<Sequell> 20749. Bloax, XL24 VSTm, T:13320: http://crawl.lantea.net/crawl/morgue/Bloax/morgue-Bloax-20140907-000920.txt

Did you know that I like ruining crawl every now and then? Go check it out.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 10th September 2013, 22:55

Tristian wrote:I think the worst I ever encountered was when I went down the stairs to D2.
Both Grinder and Sigmund one tile away, on either side of me.
For all I know, my rotting carcass is still lying on the stairs where I tried to run back up.

How can this be? I thought Grinder didn't start showing up until D3. Was Jubilex on the level too?

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 28th September 2013, 07:43

A full pack of yaks on D:4.

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 28th September 2013, 08:09

and into wrote:And, as minmay pointed out, giant geckos (or a small pack of jackals) right off the bat can literally be an instant death sentence if you aren't playing a very strong background–species combo.

Reminds me of the time my DeWz stepped out of the entrance vault... right into melee range of the Hobgoblin around the corner. Cast magic dart. Hobgoblin hits for 8 damage. I die. :(

Swamp Slogger

Post Saturday, 28th September 2013, 08:50

First enemy?
Hobgoblin with Dagger (I believe) of distortion.
Fun, but very short, times.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 28th September 2013, 21:07

Golden dragon on D16 without any runed doors :shock:

Edit. As it turned out the dragon was right near Vault entrance. Is it a new way to warn players that the latest changes have made Vaults much more dangerous than before?

For this message the author Sandman25 has received thanks:
Klown

Barkeep

Post Sunday, 29th September 2013, 23:48

Sandman25 wrote:Golden dragon on D16 without any runed doors :shock:

Edit. As it turned out the dragon was right near Vault entrance. Is it a new way to warn players that the latest changes have made Vaults much more dangerous than before?

This is kind of old I think, at least I am pretty sure I can recall running into OoDs at Vault entrance in older versions. I think worst one I got was a quicksilver dragon. I suppose it is appropriate that the Vaults entrance is a bit like the entrance to a really bad vault with nasty enemies. :)

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 30th September 2013, 00:21

and into wrote:
Sandman25 wrote:Golden dragon on D16 without any runed doors :shock:

This is kind of old I think, at least I am pretty sure I can recall running into OoDs at Vault entrance in older versions. I think worst one I got was a quicksilver dragon. I suppose it is appropriate that the Vaults entrance is a bit like the entrance to a really bad vault with nasty enemies. :)

The worst one is a one-tile wide tunnel filled with lava and then when you slowly hover over it with a djinni and finally get to the other end you meet a quicksilver dragon. Good times, character did not survive. :)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 30th September 2013, 01:24

The worst Vaults for me was the one where there were Yaktaurs, Centaur Captains and Vault Guards shooting at me behind a river. I was HO of Beogh so I was not powerful enough to survive that and I didn't want to use my orcish allies as meat shield. When I finally had to enter Vaults, I used scroll of magic mapping and controlled teleport to land into the vault. The vault was full of extremely dangerous monsters so I barely survived despite using recall as my first action. Many orcs died there :(

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice