Magic Resistance

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 16th December 2010, 21:03

Magic Resistance

Okay, I'm going to pop the cork on this board with a question instead of just a lame "Test Post".

One thing that's not quite clear to me is what magic resistance does - is this resistance to enchantments, or any and all magic used against the player (including wands?), or just certain effects? If a monster casts Teleport on me, will MR reduce the chance of the spell working? Will it help against fireballs?

Server Admin

Post Thursday, 16th December 2010, 21:59

Re: Magic Resistance

I think "Teleport Other" is an enchantment spell too - MR should help.
Please report bugs to the bug tracker, and leave feedback on the development wiki. Thank you!

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 16th December 2010, 22:14

Effects don't have to be spells in the Enchantments school to check MR; Teleport Other, for example, is actually Translocations.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 17th December 2010, 09:27

danr wrote:Okay, I'm going to pop the cork on this board with a question instead of just a lame "Test Post".

One thing that's not quite clear to me is what magic resistance does - is this resistance to enchantments, or any and all magic used against the player (including wands?), or just certain effects? If a monster casts Teleport on me, will MR reduce the chance of the spell working? Will it help against fireballs?

It protects against hostile enchantments which include some wands (slow, paralysis, disintegration,...). The most nasty things it protects against are probably paralysis and banishment (only the banish spell, not distortion, miscasts,...)
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 17th December 2010, 14:43

It also protects against mesmerisation, confuse/sleep/paralysis spells. MR is really an odd name, though, as it doesn't prevent magic damage (save disintegration).
Go kiku!

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 18th December 2010, 00:40

Disintegration (curiously enough, Disintegrate has a ?/S entry as a level 6 Tmut spell), pain (checks rN too), agony (checks rN too), possibly others

MR also protects monsters from polymorph, but players need rMut for that.

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 18th December 2010, 02:08

Is there any rhyme or reason to this? Other resistances are pretty clear - fire, rElec, etc. Is this documented somewhere?

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 24th December 2010, 18:52

MR is generally not too useful because effects like TELE are easily cancelled with a scroll of teleportation, spells like Slow are not too common on enemies, and enemy spell power is generally weak (I had a level 15 DSIE with just a robe of MR that could resist Aizul's sleep consistently).

One thing it's useful for, though, is paralysis, because it's cast by orc sorcerers and ogre mages and can be very dangerous if your MR fails.
TrCK:
Xom grants you an implement of some kind.
_Something appears at your feet!
4790 gold pieces {god gift}.

DsAr:
You blink. You feel slightly more hungry. Prince Ribbit hits you. You die...
"Hey, that's my toy!"
Xom revives you!

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 24th December 2010, 22:34

Also banishment, particularly on Lom Lobon's level (if you get banished you can't return to kill Lom or get the rune).

Also confusion on mummies, since you can't quaff healing or anything like that.

For this message the author MrMisterMonkey has received thanks:
pratamawirya

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice