DS mutation : guardian

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 17th April 2013, 18:49

DS mutation : guardian

During my first plays, i was really happy to have this one early on. But now it is just my most hated one :D

Last annoyance :
I meet Norris in the Shoals. Just him and me, no one else. And he was at full range.
I don't like him, and I miss some of the needed defense. But my battlesphere was ready, and the battle ground was perfect. So i take the try
I launch a first sphere of destruction. A guardian appear, the sphere hits him, he survives and turn hostile ...

WTF ?

How do you play with that **** mutation ? :)

(I manage to kill both, hopefully, but i have played bad, i should have run)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 18th April 2013, 06:35

Re: DS mutation : guardian

Is there some guide to find out which allies turn hostile? As far as I remember summoned Dragons don't turn hostile, Mercenaries do, Zombies don't, Demonic Guardians do, Makhleb's summons do, Nemelex' Foxfire don't. I cannot find a pattern here.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 18th April 2013, 06:44

it's really hard to make animal-intelligence things hostile to you if they're your allies

(yes this is really dumb)

For this message the author crate has received thanks:
Sandman25

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 18th April 2013, 06:51

crate wrote:it's really hard to make animal-intelligence things hostile to you if they're your allies

(yes this is really dumb)

Thanks, that explains some examples.
Perhaps summoned/permanent/divine allies are processed differently also. Mercenary Tengu and Efreet from Bottle turn hostile, Summoned Dragons don't. Makhleb's Executioner is highly intelligent but turns hostile.
My guess for intelligent allies is below:
1) "divine" and permanent allies turn hostile
2) summoned allies don't
It requires source diving to be sure I think :(

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 18th April 2013, 08:38

Cheibriados wrote:dragon (D) | Spd: 10 | HD: 12 | HP: 74-110 | AC/EV: 10/8 | Dam: 20, 13, 13(trample) | fly, !sil | Res: magic(64), fire++, poison, drown | Vul: cold | XP: 1358 | Sp: flame blast (3d24) | Sz: Huge | Int: animal.

Basically, smart allies turn hostile at the slightest provocation, dumb allies don't.

For this message the author Galefury has received thanks:
Sandman25

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 3rd August 2013, 00:19

Galefury wrote:
Cheibriados wrote:dragon (D) | Spd: 10 | HD: 12 | HP: 74-110 | AC/EV: 10/8 | Dam: 20, 13, 13(trample) | fly, !sil | Res: magic(64), fire++, poison, drown | Vul: cold | XP: 1358 | Sp: flame blast (3d24) | Sz: Huge | Int: animal.

Basically, smart allies turn hostile at the slightest provocation, dumb allies don't.

Sounds dumb, pun intended.
Shouldn't you be more able to explain to smart allies that you messed up, it won't happen again?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 5th August 2013, 11:11

Matanui3 wrote:
Galefury wrote:

Sounds dumb, pun intended.
Shouldn't you be more able to explain to smart allies that you messed up, it won't happen again?

No, they are smart and realize you are lying. They are so smart that they realize turning hostile is a better method of ensuring you will not do it again ;)

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 5th August 2013, 15:28

Matanui3 wrote:Sounds dumb, pun intended.

Apparently, in Crawl you need to be god-intelligent to get such a thought. And not even all gods can forgive a worshiper breaking their conducts on an accident. Animals, on the other hand, are too dumb to realize what's hitting them.
Offline greaterplayer (who cares). I don't always play online, but when i do, i streak felids.
Zot:5 on easy mode video
Double Skullcrusher

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice