Veh or Sif?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 3rd August 2013, 04:16

Veh or Sif?

My main goto is usually a KoBe or DEWz. havent managed to win a game yet but I got to the orb on a wizard already that ended up functioning like an IE worshipping vehumet.

So usually I go vehumet for the perks to conjurations, but have been trying a few runs with sif. I can never seems to get the sif followers much of anywhere. I guess I am wondering if Sif is worth trying a few more attempts at? The channeling doesnt seems to give much MP back and Im not sure what the overall advantage is in the late game if I am working on training skills like dodging, fighting, and traps for survivability and not magic skills for piety?

TL/DR - is Sif comparable to Vehumet or more geared toward mummies and other undead casters?

Dis Charger

Post Saturday, 3rd August 2013, 11:26

Re: Veh or Sif?

Sif's channeling is quite good at high levels of invocations, but I usually go for Veh, because there are other ways of channeling and veh's buffs are cool. Also, you could try other builds, like HaAs or DEEn or even an earth elementalist with training for stabbing(because he has petrify and passwall). Looking for ways to stab something, expecially strong uniques is quite fun. I played only DEWz at first, though, so I can understand you, and my glorious 15-rune + 2 zig first win(I always take an opportunity to brag about it to annoy and maybe make some people feel inferior) was with DEWz of Vehumet.

Zot Zealot

Post Saturday, 3rd August 2013, 12:20

Veh or Sif?

If you play a pure caster like DEFE, I'd say that

• Sif is better. She provides channeling, which is indeed powerful with high invo skill. And you can be sure to finally get all the spells you want, including useful things like haste, cBlink, DMsl etc.

• Veh is more convenient. You will be able to cast conjurations earlier, and increased range to conjuration spells will allow you to attack foes in the very moment you see them.
Both gods are a good choice, it's up to you!

cjo

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 3rd August 2013, 15:36

I feel like Vehumet and Sif are pretty comparable.

Vehumet gives offensive spells faster. Sif gives a diverse choice of spells so you will almost always get a variety of strong defensive buffs. Vehumet gives a mana refund on killing stuff. Sif gives channeling, which is great against that one tough enemy you really want to kill, or when you can't retreat to rest. Vehumet will lure you in to memorizing too much offense with no way to forget the spells. Sif offers free unlimited amnesia for a relatively modest piety cost. Vehumet increases spell success. Sif protects against miscasts, which matters very little in the early game (since mana reserves and spell hunger will steer you away from spells with a high miscast chance), but which is very nice later on, when your high level spells stay in the red for a long time.

Vehumet's range extension is very, very nice.

I feel like Vehumet's bonuses kick in faster, but Sif is a little better in the long run. Other good deity choices for primary casters include Ash and Kiku.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 3rd August 2013, 16:30

ajon wrote:So usually I go vehumet for the perks to conjurations, but have been trying a few runs with sif. I can never seems to get the sif followers much of anywhere. I guess I am wondering if Sif is worth trying a few more attempts at? The channeling doesnt seems to give much MP back...

I recommend you do not choose the god of channeling if you do not like the channeling (nothing about Sif is important except channeling, because miscast protection practically never matters and if you survive to see Sif's book gifts you don't need them)

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 3rd August 2013, 19:11

It seems to me, as you need to improve Evo with Vehumet instead of Invo with Sif Muna, you save your XP, because Evo can be useful with other equipment like staffs, rods, wands, etc.

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 3rd August 2013, 20:47

If you are Playing DE, then probably Vehumet, if you are playing something like a mummy or a vampire, then probably Sif or Nemelex(yes, pure summoning and wonders decks work... Well, wonders!).

Cheibriados is also a good option depending on what class you are playing, but generally DE are better suited for Vehumet in my experience(they already have enough intellect and spellcasting aptitude to the point where the 15 int won't be as useful). Either way, if you are still running KoBe's and DEWz's, then I don't think Cheibriados is the right god for you.
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice