For a DEWz spells to choose

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 2nd August 2013, 17:47

For a DEWz spells to choose

So I cant decide what would be more useful
OoD
Iron shot/bolt of magma
Or taking Venom bolt and poisonous cloud now in the hopes that I get access to some fire based magic later and can get ignite poison and poison arrow?

From other games, Im pretty sure that iron shot is better than the poison arrow as the outright damage tends to just make shorter work of things than the poison. OoD seems decent but the delay and swerve of the orb plus being dangerous in hallways makes me think otherwise.

Any advice? Currently following vehumet.

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 2nd August 2013, 18:04

Re: For a DEWz spells to choose

I believe PArrow is better against monsters without rPois, iron shot is better against monsters with rPois and PArrow is trash against poison immune targets. I don't know anything about your skills and I'm guessing you are tackling midgame (?), so it's hard to give advices. PArrow works nicely against midgame mobs.

Dis Charger

Post Friday, 2nd August 2013, 18:14

Iron shot can't be bad, because you can use it against anything. But it's good to have a bolt spell for multiple enemies or enemies with shields.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 2nd August 2013, 21:13

ajon wrote:So I cant decide what would be more useful
From other games, Im pretty sure that iron shot is better than the poison arrow as the outright damage tends to just make shorter work of things than the poison.

Huh? Were these games in which you had poison arrow? =P Most of its damage is immediate, and it is a truckload of damage. In fact, for the past 4 years, poison arrow has been the best conjuration in the game, frequently receiving nerfs and still being good.
mikee_ has won 166 times in 396 games (41.92%): 4xDSFi 4xMDFi 3xDDCK 3xDDEE 3xHOPr 2xDDHe 2xDDNe 2xDSBe 2xKeAE 2xMfCr 2xMfSt 2xMiAr 2xMiBe 2xNaTm 1xCeAr 1xCeAs 1xCeBe 1xCeEn 1xCeFE 1xCePa 1xCeTm 1xCeWz 1xDDAs 1xDDCr 1xDDHu 1xDDTm 1xDENe 1xDEWz

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 2nd August 2013, 22:42

Yeah I had it. Iron shot just always seemed better, and didnt seem to be as inaccurate as I've seen people saying it was. Maybe ill give them both another try and see how they compare again.

Dis Charger

Post Friday, 2nd August 2013, 23:17

Oh, but poison arrow is awesome against things that don't have the resistance. It has good accuracy and range and can kill most living things and there are a lot in every part of the dungeon, except demonic and the undead domains.

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 3rd August 2013, 00:12

Poison arrow continues to be usable even against resisty things, it is merely not as overwhelmingly awesome. It still has great range, which is a lot of what is good about it.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 3rd August 2013, 00:42

Seriously. I always take PArrow over iron shot unless I've already got a significant earth investment, asssuming I have both available.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 5th August 2013, 11:08

Poisonous Cloud is one of the best spells IMHO, especially for fragile races like DE. Poison Arrow is overrated IMHO so I would not train Poison magic if I didn't have Poisonous Cloud. Even then don't train Poison Magic above 10 (even less with Vehumet).
Iron Shot is quite different, you can train Earth all the way up to 27 if you want.

Barkeep

Post Monday, 5th August 2013, 12:55

The nice thing about PArrow versus PCloud is that cloud kills baddies in like 15 turns and arrow kills them in like two. Cloud is absolutely more MP-efficient (against crowds) and great versus things you can kite but you can't safely kite everything.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 5th August 2013, 14:28

Clouds let you kill things you can't see, too.

Poison arrow has 2 more range than iron shot, and can deal more damage to most targets. It does not disappoint.

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 6th August 2013, 07:22

njvack wrote:The nice thing about PArrow versus PCloud is that cloud kills baddies in like 15 turns and arrow kills them in like two. Cloud is absolutely more MP-efficient (against crowds) and great versus things you can kite but you can't safely kite everything.

I regularly use cloud mechanics to poison enemies well beyond LOS with PCloud. It really does make Elf:3 a joke and is useable up until you start working on runes 4+.
KoboldLord wrote:I'm also morbidly curious now as to how Shatter is abusable for 'stealth tricks'. It's about as stealthy as the Kool-Aid Man smashing through the walls and running through the room

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice