OOD Machine Gun?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 28th July 2013, 10:11

OOD Machine Gun?

So, I found a book of power on D:2, and I've got an amulet of gourmand and I'm worshiping Sif Muna. I also found a book with haste and swiftness in it, and as a result I'm going through the entire dungeon spamming nothing but Orb of Destruction on every single last enemy I see. All of the floor and wall tiles between D:10 and D:18 are completely drenched in blood, and every monster unfortunate enough to wander into my view is swiftly turned into a chunk pinata. Even though the hunger cost for Orb of Destruction is ######.., I'm able to keep myself at a near-constant engorged state all while casting Orb of Destruction and magic channeling non-stop while hasted. I wasted Louise within 7 turns by using nothing but Orb of Destruction, if that's any example as to how well this is going right now.

I'm having so much fun painting the dungeon walls with the blood of my enemies that something just seems wrong about it. There's no way it could be this good. Is spamming Orb of Destruction on literally every single enemy I see a bad thing to do? I know this is probably a stupid question, but I'm getting this really big "you're doing it wrong" gut feeling right now.

Dis Charger

Post Sunday, 28th July 2013, 11:11

Re: OOD Machine Gun?

I think it's ok. But be careful with guys who wear a shield(some tiles don't even display it), especially of reflection, like Donald.

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 28th July 2013, 12:58

If you're killing stuff, there's nothing wrong with it. Relying entirely on IOOD will bite you in the ass eventually though. There are a lot of situations where the spell is less than ideal. You'll at least want something that does good AOE damage, and something that works well in corridors. Even though you can channel MP almost as much as you want, it still takes time. Why settle for killing louise in 7 turns when you can do it in 2?

Dis Charger

Post Sunday, 28th July 2013, 14:47

A Bolt spell would be good for shielded stuff/mutiple targets or Iron shot for close range at least. You also happen to have it in your book. In fact I'd probably go straight for Iron shot, but I don't know what race are you playing. You have haste and it's not like IOoD doesn't work in straight corridors so things are not that bad, though.

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 29th July 2013, 13:40

Iron shot is not a bolt spell and while it's more powerful than OOD, it's probably not worth skilling too since it's inaccurate at lower power levels.

Dis Charger

Post Monday, 29th July 2013, 14:05

Where do you see me saying that iron shot is a bolt spell? I said "or".

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 29th July 2013, 15:05

Enjoy it while it lasts! The RNG blessed you, don't feel guilty.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice