Ds advice.

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 23rd July 2013, 19:34

Ds advice.

So When i roll a demonspawn and get nightstalker mutation. I'd really love to use demon blade, but short blades get much higher stabbing damage. So i'm wondering how big difference there is in stabbing damage between demon blade and quick blade. with relatively high skill (16-20). Since even with short blade i might get a bad damage roll and be forced to take them down with a real weapon. I plan to use ashenzari as god since it also buffs spell (which i'm planning to on using + it will buff stealth and dodge)

Basically. Is ashenzari skill boost enough to justify using long blades for stabbing, or is it better to forget about cursing main weapon and just going with 2 weapons, one for stabbing other for fighting.

Or maybe ashenzari skill boost is enough justfy using quick blade instead of demon blade as cursed weapon.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 23rd July 2013, 19:42

Re: Ds advice.

siprus wrote:Since even with short blade i might get a bad damage roll and be forced to take them down with a real weapon.

Ugh, I wish this piece of misinformation was never posted. If you have high stabbing skill, you will do more than enough damage to kill 99.9% of enemies with a tier 1 stab. (sleep/paralysis)

By the time you're ready to swap between a dagger for stabbing and a demon blade for other attacks, you won't need to worry about Ash's skill boost. Much more useful will be the bounty of information you'll have from mapping, monster detection and scrying.

For this message the author BlackSheep has received thanks:
siprus

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 24th July 2013, 06:52

Re: Ds advice.

The difference between Sbl and LBl for stabbing is huge. SBl gets up to 30 bonus damage (so dagger has "base" damage from 31 to about 40 depending on Dex/Str and luck with roll) which is then multiplied by (10+Stabbing)/10 (that's 3.7 at stabbing 27) and again multiplied by (12+Stabbing)/12 (that's 3.25 at stabbing 27). Thus minimal damage with dagger for stabbing sleeping/paralyzed monster with Stabbing 27 is about 370.
For LBl you don't get the 30 bonus damage, you get 0. So you roll base damage of your LBl (it can result in 1 even for Triple Sword) and then this value is multiplied by (10+Stabbing/3)/10 (that's 1.9 at stabbing 27) and (12+Stabbing)/12 (that's 3.25 at stabbing 27). So minimal damage for stabbing with triple sword can be about 3.

For this message the author Sandman25 has received thanks:
siprus

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice