waiting around?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 22nd July 2013, 22:43

waiting around?

i keep thinking 'why not just wait forever til a monster comes, then fight it, and rinse and repeat on d:1 until lvl 20 before bothering with d:2? but whenever i've tried it, i get killed by an unreasonably difficult monster (first time a harpy appeared and 1-shotted me, the second time an ice beast 2-shotted me) is this a specific 'dont do that' or am i just unlucky? how often do ppl see harpies on d:1 :)

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 22nd July 2013, 22:58

Re: waiting around?

Yes, if you wait for ridiculous amounts of time then (more) out-of-depth monsters start spawning.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 22nd July 2013, 23:02

That's intentional. If you wait around a ridiculous length of time on a level it will start spawning higher level critters, then eventually it will taper off and stop producing new creatures at all.

Or to put it another way "don't do that"
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Dis Charger

Post Tuesday, 23rd July 2013, 00:05

Why even do that? Isn't it's boring? The game is made in such a way that you usually can manage to clear D:1-2 quickly and have enough power for the next level. That is also true for later levels when you become better at this game. I'm actually grateful for the out of depth monsters who urge you to advance.

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 23rd July 2013, 02:07

Amnesiac wrote:I'm actually grateful

Yes, Crawl really needs a mechanic that does the exact same thing as another mechanic we already have, except does so completely invisibly, literally never telling the player what he's doing wrong or even that he HAS done something wrong. Just one more step in Crawl's long-term plan to become the worst girlfriend of all time.

Isn't it's boring?

If being boring is the problem, why does monster generation stop entirely later on? Why not stop sooner, or not stop at all? The correct answer is who knows, nobody actually thought this mechanic through.

Dis Charger

Post Tuesday, 23rd July 2013, 02:42

Monsters spawning rate seems to be quite high lately (in the trunk at least), though, and as for later respawn it would just be annoying, because sometimes highlevel characters need to do a lot of running between different branches and, I would guess, players want traveling to be as fast as possible.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 23rd July 2013, 06:36

"Why cant we sit around and wait for monsters, and not leave the first level before we XL20?"
"But whenever I try this, it seems like super hard monsters show up and one shot me."

....doesn't seem like too much of an invisible mechanic from where I am reading.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 23rd July 2013, 13:13

halbyc, you seriously thought about your options and figured the way you'd enjoy the game most was by hitting 5 over and over until yet another hobgoblin showed up for you to murder, and you wanted to keep doing that long enough to get to XL 20 before trying D2?

If you want to play crawl without a challenge, at least do yourself the favor of going into wizmode and just setting your level directly instead of wasting your own time.

I mean, unless you were having a "who can waste more of their life" challenge with a friend.

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 23rd July 2013, 17:06

daggaz wrote:"Why cant we sit around and wait for monsters, and not leave the first level before we XL20?"
"But whenever I try this, it seems like super hard monsters show up and one shot me."

....doesn't seem like too much of an invisible mechanic from where I am reading.

The game does nothing to inform the player of the correlation between the two (you know, THE REASON THIS THREAD WAS MADE). It makes about as much sense as if the game didn't tell you you were hungry, and then you suddenly lost the ability to cast spells and then died.

figured the way you'd enjoy the game most was by hitting 5 over and over

You can't really blame someone for doing what is the defining feature of the mummy race.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 23rd July 2013, 17:50

Volteccer_Jack wrote:You can't really blame someone for doing what is the defining feature of the mummy race.

Who said anything about blame? Amazement combined with sorrow would be more accurate.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 23rd July 2013, 18:29

Amnesiac wrote:Why even do that? Isn't it's boring? The game is made in such a way that you usually can manage to clear D:1-2 quickly and have enough power for the next level. That is also true for later levels when you become better at this game. I'm actually grateful for the out of depth monsters who urge you to advance.

If you think this is boring, I urge you to try mummyrobin. It is incredibly stressful and if you can make it to Lair I'll be very impressed.

Dis Charger

Post Tuesday, 23rd July 2013, 22:45

rebthor wrote:mummyrobin

Wuzzat? Why even play it if it's so bad?..

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 24th July 2013, 00:15

You were claiming that waiting for monster gen to stop was boring. I was pointing out that it is not boring if you try it. You can also try MuCK to enjoy XOM while you wait.

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 24th July 2013, 02:07

Blade's crazy MuCK run was actually a pretty awesome accomplishment.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

For this message the author njvack has received thanks:
battaile

Dis Charger

Post Wednesday, 24th July 2013, 05:14

Ohh, myy...

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice