How uncommon is Lajatangs of Speed?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 18th July 2013, 17:08

How uncommon is Lajatangs of Speed?

How uncommon is Speed as a brand on Lajatang gifts from Trog?
I´ve played quite a few Stave Melee´s (about 10-15) but I´ve never even seen a Lajatang of speed except as a randart (and they´re pretty common on short blades).
I was under the impression that the main reason players go Staves on some melees is to try and get a Lajatang of Speed, am i wrong?
Have I had an unusual amount of bad luck? Maybe easier getting it from Oka or Acq. scrolls?
Or is Speed just extremely rare on Lajatangs :?:
Last edited by graffen69 on Thursday, 20th August 2015, 19:53, edited 2 times in total.

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 18th July 2013, 17:19

Re: How uncommon is Lajatangs of Speed?

It may be that you can't get a speed lajatang from Trog. I've seen Agnes with one but I'm not sure what that proves.

The chief appeal of lajtangs if you're going that way is that they require way less exp investment than any other comparably good 2h weapon.

EDIT: so really any lajatang is already a pretty good weapon. Trog giving you an antimagic one is just fine; a vampiric one would be fantastic.

For this message the author ackack has received thanks:
graffen69

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 18th July 2013, 17:24

Lajatangs are rare and speed branded weapons are rare so very rare

In numbers I don't know

For this message the author One-Eyed Jack has received thanks:
graffen69

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 18th July 2013, 18:27

Hoping for vampiric or speed brand on any weapon is silly; be glad when you find one, but certainly don't plan for it.

I was under the impression that the main reason players go Staves on some melees is mainly to try and get a Lajatang of Speed, am i wrong?

People go staves because quarterstaff is the best weapon available at character creation, enhancer staves are excellent for both melee and casting, and lajatangs have high base damage and low XP requirement (for example, glaives and battleaxes, which are not bad weapons by any means, have lower damage and require much more skill to achieve mindelay).

For this message the author Volteccer_Jack has received thanks:
graffen69

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 18th July 2013, 21:11

Well, on each you do also gain reaching or cleaving respectively but it doesn't take away from your main point.

Perhaps better comparisons are double swords and eveningstars which also both require most XP investment. Of course they are also both rare and one handed, so really the best comparison is a great sword which has the same base damage, the same to hit malus, the same handedness and yet still takes more skill to get to min delay. The only thing a great sword has going for it is you'll probably run into a bunch of them every game whereas a lajatang is somewhere in between rare and uncommon.

Zot Zealot

Post Friday, 19th July 2013, 10:07

An antimagic lajatang, on the other hand, is amazing and something Trog might reasonably be expected to give you.
I am sure I played flawflessly. This was an utmost unfair death. -- gorbeh

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 19th July 2013, 10:13

joellercoaster wrote:An antimagic lajatang, on the other hand, is amazing and something Trog might reasonably be expected to give you.

Is Staves good with Trog? You have a few skills to train so high weapon skill is not a big deal.

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 19th July 2013, 10:16

Yeah, antimagic is a great brand. You probably won't think so when Trog first gifts it to you, since there won't be that many magic users around. But later on it's the bee's knees.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Friday, 19th July 2013, 11:29

Antimagic works on things like orbs of fire and fiends, for the record. In case you were wondering why that is.
take it easy
  Code:
!lg * won !DD-- min=turns -log
<Sequell> 20749. Bloax, XL24 VSTm, T:13320: http://crawl.lantea.net/crawl/morgue/Bloax/morgue-Bloax-20140907-000920.txt

Did you know that I like ruining crawl every now and then? Go check it out.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice