Crystal Golems and Artifact Crown

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Monday, 7th March 2011, 01:37

Crystal Golems and Artifact Crown

I was exploring dungeon level 10 with one of my most recent characters and was rather surprised when I found a pretty curious structure, it was all green crystal walls and surrounded 4 orange statues, one on each side.
I cleared out the statues and was about to enter when a crystal golem came out so I lured it away and came back only to find several more crystal golems pouring out.
I snuck past them and went into the structure.
It had 8 chambers surrounding a ninth chamber in the middle.
Every single room had crystal golems in it and nothing else, except for the center chamber which was COMPLETELY full of them, one on every tile, except for 1 tile which had an artifact crown.
A "Jewelled Bronze Crown."
I died due to an unfortunate blink trying to get it, so I have no idea what it was, I also couldn't find anything on the wiki so I thought i'd ask here and see if anyone new what exactly I encountered.
I'm a relatively new player and haven't made it very far so this might be a pretty common thing, but I figured I'd ask anyways.
I took a screenshot when I died in case it was something special though, in case anyones interested.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 7th March 2011, 01:59

Re: Crystal Golems and Artifact Crown

The LearnDB is a good place to look for artefacts with particularly unique names like that - put in the unidentified artefact name and it'll redirect you to the correct entry (if it's not just a random artefact). This one in particular is a special vault containing the unrandart crown of Dyrovepreva {Hunger rElec Int+2 SInv}.

There's a few vaults containing particularly good items like this with the intention that you can run away from the guardians and come back for them later.
Last edited by Kate on Monday, 7th March 2011, 02:01, edited 1 time in total.

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 7th March 2011, 02:01

Its the unrandart +3 crown of "Dyrovepreva"
Here are the stats from the wiki.

A large crown of dull bronze, set with a dazzling array of gemstones
+2 Int
Electricity Res
See Invis
Speeds Metabolism

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 7th March 2011, 07:01

Man, that's a lot of security for such a mediocre item.

gb

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 7th March 2011, 21:39

it's usually a pretty good item, especially for races that can't wear most helmets (spriggans, minotaurs, etc.) apportation might not seem like a great spell either at first, but it's perfect for this type of scenario.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 7th March 2011, 21:54

I mean, it -would- be good for a spriggan, if not for the fact that it speeds metabolism.

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 7th March 2011, 21:58

...I've gotten that crown three separate times with spriggans. One time, it was the only wearable hat that spawned all game until Zot:5.

I kinda hate it for that.

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 7th March 2011, 22:15

How is it good for a spriggan? +2 INt is nice,I guess, but you already have seen invisible and your metabolism doesn't need to be sped up. Resist electricity is good, I guess, if you have no other source of it.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 8th March 2011, 14:03

Good in the sense that headgear is hard to come by for anyone, and for headgear-restricted races, it's worse. But I'd take even a -3 randart cap into Slime just to keep the acid off. At least this thing has positive AC.
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 8th March 2011, 15:54

... I guess? But by that same standard a regular-old cap or wizard's hat is even better than this thing.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 8th March 2011, 23:27

For a spriggan, I mean. The bonuses and AC are nice, but I wouldn't wear it just because of the increased hunger cost.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 8th March 2011, 23:53

szanth wrote:For a spriggan, I mean. The bonuses and AC are nice, but I wouldn't wear it just because of the increased hunger cost.

The increased hunger cost is only two points, raising you back up to normal human consumption. A ring of sustenance completely counters the effect, and at D10 there's a good chance that rElec and SInv are better than whatever rings you have floating around. Once you've cleared the corpse-bearing branches, there's literally no reason not to be wearing this thing, since you're subsisting on permafood either way and none of the other races ever have any trouble.

At the very least, it's a quick swap to one rare and one uncommon extrinsic ability, both of which are valuable. At best, you have about thirty more honeycombs than you could reasonably expect to use anyway so you might as well use them powering your swanky hat, one of the best you could possibly hope to see generate.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 9th March 2011, 00:15

Spriggan already has Sinv, so that's a moot point. And rElec is really only useful when you come across an enemy who shoots lightning at you a la Electric Eel or Nikola.

And you should notice my post said -I- wouldn't wear it because of the increased hunger cost. I'm not saying others shouldn't, or that you can't, but I'm not comfortable with taking away one of the best parts of being a spriggan for 3AC.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice