on summoning miscasts

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 6th March 2011, 20:53

on summoning miscasts

i don't play spellcasters often, but i had a nice vampire summoner who got himself killed by a miscast that called forth a hostile balrug. it was the second time, as i got an nice ice fiend earlier on. in either case i was trying to cast level 4-5 spells at excellent. how does this work? do miscasts scale with spell power?

to add insult to injury they were permanent. maybe abjuration would've worked, but i never found it.
Wins: DDBe (3 runes, morgue file)

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 6th March 2011, 23:16

Re: on summoning miscasts

Just bad luck, I think.

http://crawl.chaosforge.org/index.php?title=Miscast

"Failure to cast spells causes various generally nasty things to occur, becoming nastier with spell level and spell failure. Miscasts come in severity 0,1,2,3; 0 is always harmless."

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 7th March 2011, 11:44

i read that, but it's not very informative. i guessed severity should be tied to spell success, instead of spell power, but it may be the other way around. casting spells at 95%+ success shouldn't put you in those situations unless the rng truly hates you (and even so!). anyway, what got me riled up was their permanent status. they were pretty much choking two key access points.

this makes magic much riskier that i thought, unless you have divine miscast protection. unfortunately i was cast into the abyss and had to convert from sif to lugonu.
Wins: DDBe (3 runes, morgue file)

gb

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 7th March 2011, 21:40

summoning miscasts are notoriously nasty

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice