Unknown Wand {tried by monster}

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 8th July 2013, 18:44

Unknown Wand {tried by monster}

I got an unknown empty wand with {tried by monster} inscription. Can it be "Heal Wounds"? In other words, is it a good idea to spend Scroll of ID on it? I am really low on the scrolls having many unknown potions on D9.

Barkeep

Post Monday, 8th July 2013, 19:10

Re: Unknown Wand {tried by monster}

I think(!) /HW will auto-id when a monster heals itself. It's probably something you resisted (slowing, paralysis, etc).
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

For this message the author njvack has received thanks:
Sandman25

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 8th July 2013, 20:01

/HW will ID itself when used by a monster, on a monster who is injured and that you can see, at least it always has in the past for me.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
Sandman25

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 8th July 2013, 20:11

{tried by monster} is inscribed when a monster tries to do something to you that is resisted. A monster won't try to heal you, won't try to heal itself at full life, and will never resist being healed, so the answer is no. I personally consider wands a lower priority for ID, mostly because I like to try and see if I can identify permanent effect items like potions of experience or enchant scrolls.

For this message the author Tiber has received thanks:
Sandman25

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 9th July 2013, 06:54

Thank you, I will ignore the wand.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 9th July 2013, 11:31

You can always zap the wand at a rat or the like to identify it, no need for ?identify.
What made you happy today?
Shatari wrote:I traded a goat for a Nintendo DS XL, and a ton of games.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 9th July 2013, 11:38

Jabberwocky wrote:You can always zap the wand at a rat or the like to identify it, no need for ?identify.

The wand is empty. I recently changed my wand id approach from rat-me to wall-me.

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 9th July 2013, 15:47

Sandman25 wrote:
Jabberwocky wrote:You can always zap the wand at a rat or the like to identify it, no need for ?identify.

The wand is empty. I recently changed my wand id approach from rat-me to wall-me.

But why? Hasted/invisible/polymorphed rats are still harmless and digging still gets identified if a wall is behind the rat. The wall-me approach wastes one additional charge for the three most important wands in the game.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 9th July 2013, 15:56

Silk wrote:
Sandman25 wrote:

But why? Hasted/invisible/polymorphed rats are still harmless and digging still gets identified if a wall is behind the rat. The wall-me approach wastes one additional charge for the three most important wands in the game.

It could be very frustrating to die with one of those wands unidentified just because you are still looking for a "rat". I usually identify a wand as soon as I can (i.e. no monsters in LoS). Sometimes it leads to random teleports on uncleared floor though.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 9th July 2013, 17:20

Yeah, if I want to identify an unknown wand, I just pop up to the previously-cleared level to test it (I do the same with scrolls too)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 9th July 2013, 18:08

minmay wrote:
Sandman25 wrote:It could be very frustrating to die with one of those wands unidentified just because you are still looking for a "rat". I usually identify a wand as soon as I can (i.e. no monsters in LoS). Sometimes it leads to random teleports on uncleared floor though.
do you not see any rats the entire game? just leave one of them alive and come back to it when you get a wand

:)

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice