Help with an Octopode

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 6th July 2013, 04:53

Help with an Octopode

So I'm really new to this game but I'm a long time Rpg fan and without realizing it somewhat familiar with the roguelike formula. That said, I really like the Octopode and I'd like to figure out a fun class to try to get my first win with. Difficulty and time isn't a factor. I really like the idea of an Octopode Transmuter but I'm in the dark on how to get him to actually work in terms of what skills I need to focus on early game. He gets tromped by the first heavy weight that spots him as he's not fast enough to run away. Also looking for an interesting God to use. I was considering Fedhas Madash, as Rain can help give me some cover (I know merfolk work better for this).

Any thoughts for a new player is appriciated.

Oh, and completely off topic, does anyone have an incredibly difficult time hitting anything with an Octopode venomage at the start? Sting misses nearly all the time and mephetic cloud never seems to spawn clouds on enemies...always around them? I was considering Octopode venomage until I ran into this problem. Missing all the time and when I do finally hit/poison something, I can't really run. So if they're beefy I die without many alternatives.

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 6th July 2013, 04:57

Re: Help with an Octopode

Oh, and is there any armor that will fit an Octopode? The description makes it sound like there might be.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 6th July 2013, 05:35

SirDinkus wrote:Oh, and is there any armor that will fit an Octopode? The description makes it sound like there might be.

Wizard hat and a cap.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Unarmed Combat 27.0

Post Saturday, 6th July 2013, 06:46

Octopode is very challenging even for an experienced player. As an OpTm you want to focus on Unarmed Combat as well as transmutations and spellcasting. You want to get spider form, ice form and blade hands all easily castable. Spider is great for kiting and running away. Blade hands is your main damage dealer while ice form givrs you poison resistance and some added AC.

As for Gods, I had a OpTm victou worshipping Yredelemnul. He's a decent God at first but after you hit a certain point he starts gifring amazing bodyguards. I found an amulet of faith early on and I had Ghouls, Bone Dragons and Profane Servitors while I was first clearing Orc. Octopodes die easily so its nice to hide behind a horde of permanent allies.

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 6th July 2013, 07:25

OpWz is rather nice. The utility of Wz plus their +3 poison means you can generally get to mid-game at least.
KoboldLord wrote:I'm also morbidly curious now as to how Shatter is abusable for 'stealth tricks'. It's about as stealthy as the Kool-Aid Man smashing through the walls and running through the room

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 6th July 2013, 08:44

I read on another post someone suggesting going Air Elementalist. I just ran with a Transmuter and got destroyed by a the first centaur I ran across. Does an Octopode Transmuter have any defense options against ranged opponents? How would an Air Elementalist hold up early to mid game?

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 6th July 2013, 08:46

Oh and is Flight a useful spell to get as an Air Elementalist? Because being a flying octopus sounds like a fun playthrough.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 6th July 2013, 18:50

SirDinkus wrote:Oh and is Flight a useful spell to get as an Air Elementalist? Because being a flying octopus sounds like a fun playthrough.

Flight's useful pretty much regardless of class.

e: nm, apparently electric spells dont behave differently in water
Last edited by battaile on Saturday, 6th July 2013, 23:14, edited 2 times in total.
kekekela is my in-game name

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 6th July 2013, 20:18

Or uh, you can do that without flying.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 6th July 2013, 23:11

MarvinPA wrote:Or uh, you can do that without flying.

Eh, guess I'm just thinking of electric branded weapons. (and trusting the wiki when I should know better)
Last edited by battaile on Saturday, 6th July 2013, 23:24, edited 2 times in total.
kekekela is my in-game name

Lair Larrikin

Post Saturday, 6th July 2013, 23:14

Okay, you're GONNA become an eight armed splat mark. But you're GONNA have fun.

Octopode enchanter. As with any Octopode class, max that stealth so you can pick and choose and avoid getting wtfbbq'd by ranged mobs. This is a really fun class because there's nothing like one shotting Ogres with a squid. Oh yeah, how do you play it? Stabby stab. Stabbing is a mechanic that works best with daggers, in fact, only use daggers. You either sneak up on an enemy and stab them or ensorcelly hibernate them and stick them with your point. Now to train stabbery one must train stabbing. Oh, noo wait that was removed. Train short blades and stealth. Have fun youngster.

For this message the author Scrotar has received thanks:
somesortofthing

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 6th July 2013, 23:19

SirDinkus wrote:Does an Octopode Transmuter have any defense options against ranged opponents?

Transmuting arrows into snakes lets the snakes take the hits instead of the player. (Or polearms and staves, but you just get one snake at a time like that)
Spider form is small and really good at dodging.
How would an Air Elementalist hold up early to mid game?

Great. Swiftness and repel missiles let you run away from most things, and lightning bolt can take out almost everything if you and the enemy are standing in the right place. Then you have to use swiftness to get to another place, because everything is running to the thunder sound and you are out of MP.

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 7th July 2013, 20:46

Somebody just suggested an Octopode Enchanter? That isn't a "viable" combination according to the game...Anyone try an Octopode enchanter? is it even feasible?

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 7th July 2013, 20:50

Oh and in regards to boosting my unarmed as an OpTm, how high is high enough? I know that in early game, focusing on it is pretty much your sole objective for a little bit...but when do I turn it off or start focusing on other skills? I guess I'm looking for a number.

Bim

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 7th July 2013, 21:20

As a moderately experienced Op player (I've had three wins with them I think, 2 PM and one Tm) it really all depends on stealth, poison magic and being overly cautious. I've not played them in a while because it's an incredibly slow play style - you get stealth up really high and then just take things out one at a time.
PM helps you get to the point where you've got some hopefully useful rings, and then it's just a case of pumping stealth and finding a few ways to kill the stuff that is poison resistant. Try Makleb for demon summons, or Yred for more permanent summons to take out resistant/nasty stuff - they'll usually do the trick. Getting a ring of protection is essential, and being able to have 2 rF and 2 rC rings really helps negate elemental damage.
2012 Winner of fewest proposed ideas implemented by devs.

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 8th July 2013, 04:17

Ok so on a OpTm though, what is a good number to stop at when focusing on Unarmed Combat? Like how much is enough before I focus more on transmutations and other magic based stuff?

Zot Zealot

Post Monday, 8th July 2013, 10:46

To start with, I get UC up to 5 and then focus Transmutations until I can get Spider Form reliable (Poison Magic is so cheap for Octopodes early on it's an efficient way to get there too - at least a couple of levels). You hit harder, you poison things, you get a significant EV boost and can run away faster when things get hairy. There is nothing not to love.

After that you are a little better able to cope with the dungeon and your choices expand depending on what you have found. I tend to go back to UC for a little while afterwards but Dodging, Throwing or Bows are all good uses for your XP.

Spider Form carries you pretty far, it's situational after that whether to pick up Ice Form (I generally do but not always) or go straight for Blade Hands.

Did I mention Dodging? You want Dodging.

Have fun, you're going to die a lot but you will be cool.

(In regards to your question about Centaurs, Spider Form deals with them very well. Be decisive, and learn how they move and where to ambush them. Ranged monster AI got a buff a few versions ago, but they are still very predictable.)
I am sure I played flawflessly. This was an utmost unfair death. -- gorbeh

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 8th July 2013, 23:35

I'd just like to repeat that Octopodes are really NOT a good race for a first win. But, if you're that determined, then....Maybe try an octopode hunter. I've found that I can get them to the lair more reliably than transmuters, who have to risk being in melee range. I picked slings as I was hoping to be able to use a shield for some sort of defenses, but bows are another good option. Crossbows are more of a late game weapon imho, and shouldn't be your exclusive starting weapon.

Transmuters are tough because you're melee with no AC or GDR, and you also have to train multiple magic skills, which will make you even more physically behind the curve. I've gotten a few to lair but still haven't won one. I've splatted many.

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 9th July 2013, 13:59

I understand that Octopodes aren't an easy win class. I'm ok with that. I get bored with most of the "classic" fantasy races...There's just something too entertaining about a Octopus with a bow though. Might have to try that. And perhaps an Air Elementalist so I can make my Octopode fly. Flying Octopus Smh...

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 13th July 2013, 07:50

Scrotar wrote:Okay, you're GONNA become an eight armed splat mark. But you're GONNA have fun.

Oh man. Quick; someone who is artistically apt - please make a picture of this!

:lol:

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 14th July 2013, 00:45

Octopode Venom Mage.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice