Abyssal Knight??

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Unarmed Combat 27.0

Post Wednesday, 3rd July 2013, 03:44

Abyssal Knight??

Looking for advice on which race to use for an Abyssal Knight.

Also, how good is Lugonu for 15 rune games? I was considering starting Lugonu and then switching to Zin for runes later, especially when I have tons of gold. Although, is it harder to gain piety when you already have a bunch of gold? I'm not very clear on how to play with either God. All I know is I want to start as an AByssal Knight and play with Lugonu, but if it isn't good for post game, I'd consider giving Zin a try, assuming he is.

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 3rd July 2013, 07:20

Re: Abyssal Knight??

Zin is stupid easy to gain piety with. You just sacrifice a hefty chunk of gold and go kill a few things and voila max piety... at least thats whats happened for me whenever I'd switch to Zin for mutation cleansing and Hells protection.
KoboldLord wrote:I'm also morbidly curious now as to how Shatter is abusable for 'stealth tricks'. It's about as stealthy as the Kool-Aid Man smashing through the walls and running through the room

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 3rd July 2013, 08:09

Lucy is perfectly viable for extended game, Corruption and the ability to enter Abyss at will are especially useful. Regarding specific races, her abilities can be beneficial to many playstyles, so pick whichever race is the most fitting for whatever you plan to do (e.g. HO if you want a heavily armoured fighter, Mf if you want to stick to lighter armours, etc).

Regarding Zin, it is really easy to gain piety if you already have a lot of gold. You can make a sacrifice at his altar (this takes half of the gold you currently have) and after a short time you are likely to have maxed piety.

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 3rd July 2013, 18:41

I have not done extended but I have won a 5 rune ogre AK. I think you could use pretty much any race with Lugonu but the starting Skills and stats favor a melee type of character, particularly ones with good invocations, like hill orc. Presumably the ability to self banish and return to the exact place you banished yourself is very powerful in a ziggurat, but Lugonu is more about escape than boosting offense, although corruption is a great way to start a shitstorm if you want to crash into a hard vault. In the early game banish makes everything a breeze, I had an Axe user with no way to deal with hydras so I just banished every one I encountered. I think I had a single resist the whole lair and I still walked out of lair with 5 stars of piety. I would use a polearm for distortion, the range makes random blinks a lot less annoying. You don't have to use distortion but I would.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 3rd July 2013, 20:14

Lugonu's pretty good in all-rune games. Her Corruption can help you with getting most of the runes by either killing everyone inside the rune vault, or functioning as a strong version of Shatter (you'd better be spoiled and know where the rune is though). She doesn't give you holy brand, and Enter the Abyss is less poweful than Sanctuary imo, but i wouldn't recommend abandoning Lucy. Being abyssed multiple times can ruin all the fun.
I prefer standard stabber races for AK since qblade of distortion is good, and stabbing goes well with ninjaing runes. I also liked HEAK because of how well did he perform pseudo-blinkkiting with Bend Space and a bow in the early game.
Offline greaterplayer (who cares). I don't always play online, but when i do, i streak felids.
Zot:5 on easy mode video
Double Skullcrusher

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice