Orange crystal statues

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

hxy

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 6th March 2011, 05:52

Orange crystal statues

I found an Orange Crystal Statue at the end of a curved hallway of water, and backed off to consider my options.
Does it see invisible? e.g. if I quaff a potion of invisibility?
Is the stat loss it causes permanent? or can you rest off its effect?

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 6th March 2011, 06:01

Re: Orange crystal statues

They do not see invs. So you if you quaffed out of LOS, you could sneak in and bash it to death. (Not sure what happens if you go invs while in LOS).

Stat loss is not permanent. Drained int will eventually come back, or can be recovered by drinking a potion of restore ability, or eating a royal jelly. If you get drained to zero, you can get stat death though, so be careful.

Hands down best solution is a wand of disintegration. Instant kills 'em.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 6th March 2011, 06:27

To my knowledge, nothing in the game can cause you to lose stats permanently, except through mutations. Hit points are another story though.

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 6th March 2011, 07:19

If you don't have a wand of disintegration, then stay away. The OCS will drain your INT until you die and confuse you, so you may fall into the deep water.
TrCK:
Xom grants you an implement of some kind.
_Something appears at your feet!
4790 gold pieces {god gift}.

DsAr:
You blink. You feel slightly more hungry. Prince Ribbit hits you. You die...
"Hey, that's my toy!"
Xom revives you!

Temple Termagant

Post Sunday, 6th March 2011, 15:28

Is there any reason why disintegration works on orange crystal statues, but not others? I always found that a bit frustrating.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 6th March 2011, 15:34

This is one of those times where you remember that you don't need to kill everything you see in CRAWL.

If you have a wand of disintegration, and feel lucky, go for it. But without one you will be dead, dead, dead, invisibility potion or not.

Swamp Slogger

Post Sunday, 6th March 2011, 20:10

Kylearan wrote:Is there any reason why disintegration works on orange crystal statues, but not others? I always found that a bit frustrating.

I'm pretty sure it one shots the silver statue, dunno about ice statues because I still haven't been in an Ice Cave, and Roxanne is a unique so it makes some sense there.

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 6th March 2011, 22:33

wand of disintegration doesnt work on ice statues but any fire based attack will melt it fast (wand of fire, flame, fireballs) and not all ice caves have ice statues. Roxanne is hard for non casters just avoid it casters can kill her with magic dart a max range wearing some MR resist as she tries to blink u close to her.
The flail fails to defends itself.
You open the flail like a pillowcase!!!

hxy

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 7th March 2011, 01:39

I finally went back to it with a wand of digging and a wand of disintegration.
Digging so that I can get at it from the other end of the chamber so I won't be floating over water if I got confused etc.
At fist sight I got hit with Confuse plus something else that caused me to "forget" the level map. Luckily I came prepared with potion of healing.
Found some nice loot there :)

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 9th March 2011, 06:49

I just killed one by meleeing it while wearing an amulet of clarity and a ring of sustain abilities. I did still lose quite a bit of Int, and it took for-ever! And all I got was 175 lousy XP.

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 9th March 2011, 16:28

danr wrote:I just killed one by meleeing it while wearing an amulet of clarity and a ring of sustain abilities. I did still lose quite a bit of Int, and it took for-ever! And all I got was 175 lousy XP.

Wow, they really should be worth more XP!

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 9th March 2011, 17:01

LRD, a ring of wizardry, and Vehumet's wizardry bonus. Kablooey in 5 casts. (And this is with a SpVM who has no good reason to learn LRD otherwise.)
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 9th March 2011, 19:11

I just wanted to test out my jewellery, and I didn't have such a wand. This one was on land and I'd cleared the rest of the level.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 10th March 2011, 00:48

minmay wrote:It's one wand charge, guys. I think 150 XP (the current number) is actually too much, seeing how trivial it is to destroy them that way.

One randomly generated wand charge. Wands of disintegration aren't guaranteed; I've hit Zot without ever seeing one generated before. If one did generate, orange statues are trivial, and if one didn't generate then the orange statues are virtually indestructible. You can barely call it a monster; an orange statue vault is more like free loot in exchange for having normal luck earlier in the game.

The Monastery of Wucad Mu wizlab is the worst offender, because it generates only the once and you can't come back to it. Unreasonably good loot if you happen to have a disintegration charge on you, and completely unwinnable otherwise.

7hm

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 10th March 2011, 00:52

KoboldLord wrote:
minmay wrote:It's one wand charge, guys. I think 150 XP (the current number) is actually too much, seeing how trivial it is to destroy them that way.

One randomly generated wand charge. Wands of disintegration aren't guaranteed; I've hit Zot without ever seeing one generated before. If one did generate, orange statues are trivial, and if one didn't generate then the orange statues are virtually indestructible. You can barely call it a monster; an orange statue vault is more like free loot in exchange for having normal luck earlier in the game.

The Monastery of Wucad Mu wizlab is the worst offender, because it generates only the once and you can't come back to it. Unreasonably good loot if you happen to have a disintegration charge on you, and completely unwinnable otherwise.

I've done the Wucad Mu wizlab without a wand of disintegration.

I believe I used summons. I've also taken out statues with berserking - though you generally wand a good angle of attack for that.

It's not that bad, though it is a bit reliant on luck.

hxy

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 10th March 2011, 02:26

Question - do these statues always "notice" you when it is within LOS? does stealth matter?

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 10th March 2011, 12:16

Drowning and summons-kill death yield half XP, right? Disintegrating a statue could also halve XP.

I suppose the idea is that trivial kills shouldn't yield much XP. The same should go for trivially disintegrating an otherwise fearsome opponent.

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 10th March 2011, 13:08

Drowning, when caused by you, e.g. by a meph cloud, gives full XP.
... and forgive us our YASDs,
As we forgive our developers,
And lead us not into the Abyss,
But deliver us from Sigmund,
For Thine is the Roguelike,
the Orb and the Victory,
now and forever.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 11th March 2011, 16:21

smock wrote:Drowning and summons-kill death yield half XP, right? Disintegrating a statue could also halve XP.

I suppose the idea is that trivial kills shouldn't yield much XP. The same should go for trivially disintegrating an otherwise fearsome opponent.

I noticed a change fairly recently (in trunk I think) where the XP awarded for summons kills is proportional to how much damage is dealt by you vs. your summons. Don't know exactly how the calculation works, though.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice