Iron shot VS Lehudib's ryqtal Spear

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 25th June 2013, 15:28

Iron shot VS Lehudib's ryqtal Spear

Hi

My DEFE is currently spamming iron shot on everything, and Vehumet offers me LCS

Does it worth learning it? It costs more MP and food, has a reduced range, and use more spell levels than I can afford.

If I ever learn it, is it useful to keep Iron Shot?
DCSS wins: MiFi3; GrFi3; GrFi5; MiFi15; DECj3; CeHu15; VSFi15; HOBe15; MiBe15; DgFE3; DsBe; HEMo3; NaMo15; FoFi3; GrWn15; DDFi3; MuGl3; DEFE15

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 25th June 2013, 16:33

Re: Iron shot VS Lehudib's ryqtal Spear

It's the most powerful single target spell in game, and can quickly decimate anything it is shot at. Iron Shot though is nothing to scoff at either however and you can ignore Lehudib's Crystal Spear if you so choose.

Really it is more about your character set up and preference.
A Google Doc I wrote up in regards to making a new 'workable' definition for the Roguelike Genre:
Defining the Roguelike Genre

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 25th June 2013, 16:57

You're playing FE so you're pretty likely to get Fire Storm for the "use all the MP and make all the noise and kill all the dudes" applications.

Vehumet's range extension takes Iron Shot from "really good" to "really really good." Hasted and at high power, it'll take down any single target in the game. I probably wouldn't bother with both it and LCS unless you have spell levels to burn.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 25th June 2013, 18:49

With my late-game EE's it's been "Iron Shot, Iron Shot, Iron shot, dead" or "Iron shot, LCS, dead" (I usually iron shot the first turn then LCS them the second turn when they move into range for it) for most critters.

It's not a huge difference, but 14 sp vs 18 sp does make a difference (Not to mention one fewer rounds), it comes down to question of spell slots, training, and personal preference. I wouldn't *get rid of* Iron shot to replace it with LCS (I tried that once, it's annoying)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Tuesday, 25th June 2013, 19:23

LCS does more damage per turn. If your targets are already in range (e.g. Hell effect makes a Fiend show up in your face), taking less turns to kill it can be very relevant. It's also arguable that you won't need Iron Shot to kill things further away when you have Fire Storm to do that instead (albeit with a lot of noise).

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 25th June 2013, 21:21

I seem to remember crystal spear having ~40% higher max damage and ~25% higher accuracy compared with iron shot. Also i'm pretty sure orb of destruction has higher max damage than crystal spear. But iron shot is certainly enough to win games, so no need to get crystal spear or other stuff if it would delay more important things.

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 26th June 2013, 17:01

LCS is 10d22
OoD does 9d(pow / 4) damage, but power gets an extra stepdown and will never exceed 87. Power is further reduced by 50/30/10 percent if the orb has only traveled 1/2/3 spaces. That means max power for OoD is 9d21.75. I don't know if the code rounds up or truncates, but anyhow it hits for less.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 26th June 2013, 17:08

rebthor wrote:LCS is 10d22
OoD does 9d(pow / 4) damage, but power gets an extra stepdown and will never exceed 87. Power is further reduced by 50/30/10 percent if the orb has only traveled 1/2/3 spaces. That means max power for OoD is 9d21.75. I don't know if the code rounds up or truncates, but anyhow it hits for less.

It uses a weighted function to round up or down on each instance.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice