New abyss, grab the rune

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Dis Charger

Post Thursday, 20th June 2013, 20:49

New abyss, grab the rune

I never went to Abyss in 0.12 (that's a lie, I was sent there once or twice to die horribly...)

Any advice to grab the rune here ?
How is the place ?

I believe I'll have to go as deep as possible and then look around for it... Am I correct ?
Online stats
Fastest Hell runes (enter Hell branch -> get the rune)
Icy : 56 / Iron : 126 / Obsidian : 215 / Bone : 125

Zot Zealot

Post Thursday, 20th June 2013, 21:03

Re: New abyss, grab the rune

It's abyssmal.

Rune appears on abyss:3-5, increasing likelihood the deeper you go. Don't try to run from starcursed masses.

For this message the author WalkerBoh has received thanks:
mopl

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 20th June 2013, 21:31

if it's your first time in new abyss I recommend looking up the new monsters in knowledge bots. So far I haven't had much trouble there but that's probably because I tend to put it off and do it at high levels so that I have more room for error against monsters I'm less familiar with.

The generic strategy of running away from problems remains effective, and is probably the coolest part about the abyss. Starcursed masses are an exception because they split if left alone and are more dangerous with multiples in LOS, so walker's advice is a great warning. You could run if you had enough walls to block LOS and haste, but really if you're hasted and have walls to protect you it's probably best to thin the herd until it's gone anyways. A single mass is rather harmless. In terms of raw power, tentacled starspawns are probably the strongest abyss unique monster imho. Spatial maelstroms and apocalypse crabs deserve runner up mention as well. The crabs are usually not that bad, but clouds of chaos can always have some weird random effects that you don't want.

Zot Zealot

Post Thursday, 20th June 2013, 21:45

If you're strong enough to clear vaults you can survive in abyss. There are some really bad situations due to bad monster combos spawning, or sometimes on abyss:5 a seemingly never-ending flood of nasties. If your char is weaker I'd hang out in abyss:3, but if you want to just get it over with keep diving to 5.

Barkeep

Post Friday, 21st June 2013, 02:01

The rune is less commonly found randomly hanging out on the ground in the new abyss; you'll usually need to go into some vault to grab it. The difficulty of abyss rune vaults is wildly different.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 21st June 2013, 12:49

In terms of things that can be punishing to run from, add thrashing horrors if your AC isn't very high (they're very fast, but don't hit very hard) and wretched stars. Wretched stars are somewhat faster than normal and can easily get multiple shots to load you up with slow movement, berserkitis and other nasty mutations even if you've got Swiftness and rMut up.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 21st June 2013, 14:02

njvack wrote:The rune is less commonly found randomly hanging out on the ground in the new abyss; you'll usually need to go into some vault to grab it. The difficulty of abyss rune vaults is wildly different.

Pretty sure its always in a vault now.
kekekela is my in-game name

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 21st June 2013, 14:24

battaile wrote:
njvack wrote:The rune is less commonly found randomly hanging out on the ground in the new abyss; you'll usually need to go into some vault to grab it. The difficulty of abyss rune vaults is wildly different.

Pretty sure its always in a vault now.

Yeah, I think this is true.

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 21st June 2013, 15:50

I've only gotten the rune from inception abyss once, but in my limited experience Abyss:5 is a real hellhole. The monster spawning speed is extremely fast, and fighting makes noise, so I had to fight off monsters for a long time after finding a rune vault before I could go get the rune. Looking for the rune on Abyss:3 is almost certainly better. Maybe go to Abyss:4 if you are impatient or getting bored, but for getting the rune and winning Abyss:3 is most likely optimal.

Zot Zealot

Post Friday, 21st June 2013, 17:35

njvack wrote:Pretty sure its always in a vault now.

I thought so too, but just yesterday I found it laying on the ground outside of a vault. Surprised me but I wasn't going to complain.

For this message the author WalkerBoh has received thanks:
rebthor

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 21st June 2013, 17:44

WalkerBoh wrote:
njvack wrote:Pretty sure its always in a vault now.

I thought so too, but just yesterday I found it laying on the ground outside of a vault. Surprised me but I wasn't going to complain.

Yeah, my mistake, apparently vault-only is the goal but not yet realized...

Code:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
d757b32 | Brendan Hickey | 2012-12-30 19:06:07 -0800

Simplify Abyssal rune rolling.
The Abyssal rune will not generate above Abyss:3.
At Abyss:3 there's a 7.5% chance of generating the rune with each item
role. A:4 -- 17% (equivalent to spending 8000 turns in the Abyss as
a non-Lucy follower). A:5 and beyond -- 25%.
Lugonu worshippers get a one level boost.

I'm ideologically opposed to the rune spawning on the floor. Eventually
this logic should be replaced exclusively with rune vaults.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
kekekela is my in-game name

For this message the author battaile has received thanks:
rebthor

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 21st June 2013, 18:19

Galefury wrote:I've only gotten the rune from inception abyss once, but in my limited experience Abyss:5 is a real hellhole. The monster spawning speed is extremely fast, and fighting makes noise, so I had to fight off monsters for a long time after finding a rune vault before I could go get the rune.

So abyss:5 is the new scum location of choice? ;) Bring lots of food and mutation immunity!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 21st June 2013, 18:43

tasonir wrote:So abyss:5 is the new scum location of choice? ;) Bring lots of food and mutation immunity!

Who needs food when you got mutation immunity? :)

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 21st June 2013, 21:24

Sandman25 wrote:
tasonir wrote:So abyss:5 is the new scum location of choice? ;) Bring lots of food and mutation immunity!

Who needs food when you got mutation immunity? :)

Who needs mutation immunity when you got lots of food? :lol:
Jabberwocky wrote:You came back on the forums. Everything in the corner has been worse since 11/4/12. It got better when you left, but now it's bad again.

"You cannot grasp the true form of Giygas's attack!"

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 21st June 2013, 22:15

Abyss is not really that bad but the thing to do is take an AK in or switch to Lugonu first. Being able to leave at any time makes it much easier and you can get a handle on what is okay to run from and what should be killed. Stay out of A:5 though... It is a mess.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice