How to speed up console crawl?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 28th May 2013, 21:34

How to speed up console crawl?

Hi

I want to be able to play as fast as the ueber mega pro's,being able to advance more quickly in "coffe breaks"
I already set up explore speed to -5,but there are still some issues..
how can i disable casting graphics in console?fireball and storm spells especially take alot of precious milli seconds lol.
how can i make tabbing attack speed,and meleeing in general faster?it doesnt respond fast enough!rougly estimated,there is a 0,2 second interval or so.

it may seem not much,but just do the math.multiply times you are engaged in a fight in crawl and times you press keys in those with the amount of aforementioned milli seconds.

thanks in advance!

ps:since were at it,how can i completely and utterly disable the "more" prompt???I already tried to change the init file a bit,but as i vaguely remember,i didnt meet with success.the one thing i clearly remember is that even with muting the more prompt channel,the more command would,atleast in one case,recquire me to press enter(the chain lightning spell).thats the one real thing that keeps me from playing air mages,as i tend to play crawl veeery fast.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 28th May 2013, 22:04

Re: How to speed up console crawl?

or you could just, you know, actually play faster and not worry about graphical tricks that don't noticeably affect your time

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 28th May 2013, 22:36

It seems that playing Crawl quickly comes naturally as one plays more and more Crawl.
Wins: DsWz(6), DDNe(4), HuIE(5), HuFE(4), MiBe(3)

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 29th May 2013, 05:13

:@ i was being serious and hoped to get some constructive answers.thats very unpolite of you guys!
i take it that this means there are no options to do the things i mentioned?

thanks nevertheless..

Zot Zealot

Post Wednesday, 29th May 2013, 06:31

#firstworldproblems

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 29th May 2013, 07:00

TrBe, Hold Tab.
KoboldLord wrote:I'm also morbidly curious now as to how Shatter is abusable for 'stealth tricks'. It's about as stealthy as the Kool-Aid Man smashing through the walls and running through the room

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 29th May 2013, 13:49

Are you playing locally, or on the servers?
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 29th May 2013, 18:38

local.

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 29th May 2013, 19:14

O rly?
On a more serious note,I am absolutely sure that it isnt something technical.Its the normal crawl experience.I just want to tweak it a lil' bit.If it is not possible,then please say so.
and my time estimates may have been wrong.

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 29th May 2013, 20:21

i dont think its because of my hardware.i have a intel core i3 pc,also i played crawl on multiple pcs.oh well.
what about the more prompt and casting graphics?are they unchangable too?

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 29th May 2013, 21:29

For the more prompt you can increase the height of the terminal and it should happen less often. This also lets you see more of your inventory at once.

For the delay are you talking about the delay before the autorepeat starts when you hold down tab (or any key)? You might be able to change that in your OS's keyboard settings.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 29th May 2013, 21:57

minmay wrote:
gorbeh wrote:I already set up explore speed to -5,but there are still some issues..
you should consider setting it to -10, that might help

The joke here is that -1 is already the setting for "no delay". -5 isn't any faster, and -10 isn't any faster than that. I assume the rc file parser is smart enough to take any negative value, so it shouldn't cause any problems, but I'd go ahead and set it to -1 for convention's sake anyways.

The tab delay you're talking about is probably the delay in how long your operating system waits before sending repeated keys when you hold down a key. There's no delay on tabbing otherwise. Change your OS settings, or just tap tab repeatedly instead of holding it. I usually quickly hit tab 4-5 times when I want to tab, rather than hold it down. You get more control, don't accidentally spend 20 turns running down to low health, and can spot when more monsters are coming more easily. The one downside is that playing this way fast for several hours will probably hurt your hands quite a lot. If you're just playing on coffee breaks you'll probably be fine.

I don't know much about disabling casting graphics, but I doubt it makes as much of an impact as you may think.

For this message the author tasonir has received thanks:
gorbeh

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 30th May 2013, 05:58

tasonir dude@
thanks for reading my thoughts lol.
minmay@
people appearantly are xD

thanks to all involved,i guess,problem partially solved.i am still open to suggestions on how to delete prompt though..

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 30th May 2013, 06:02

Code:
show_more = true
           Setting this option to false will cause the game not to prompt
           if more than a window-full of messages are output at once. This
           option has no effect if clear_messages is set.

http://gitorious.org/crawl/crawl/blobs/ ... _guide.txt

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice