Volcano question

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 24th May 2013, 04:33

Volcano question

Is there an untimed version of the volcano? I recently entered one that lasted an unusual amount of time without collapsing, and then a hellhound followed me out of it. Is that normal?

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 24th May 2013, 04:47

Re: Volcano question

Did you receive the "collapsing" messages? If so, then there is a timer, it's just really long. Unless this has to do with the changes they made in trunk.
Jabberwocky wrote:You came back on the forums. Everything in the corner has been worse since 11/4/12. It got better when you left, but now it's bad again.

"You cannot grasp the true form of Giygas's attack!"

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 24th May 2013, 04:55

I was getting the avalanche messages for the timed portal alerts they have now before I entered. Nothing after I entered though. I wasn't actually in it very long before escaping from the aforementioned hellhound.

hxy

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 24th May 2013, 05:51

If you're asking about the entrance collapsing before you get in, yes there's a timer and the entrance will close if you take too long to get in.
After you get in, you can generally stay as long as you like. It's the same as the other portals.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 24th May 2013, 06:45

But should something be able to follow me out?

E: I just checked the dump, and it was 2180 turns between entering the level and entering the volcano. Presumably that falls within the upper limit. And the entrance did collapse behind me when I left. So it looks like everything probably is working as it should, as long as it's OK for a hellhound to follow me out. I guess I've never been in the situation where something would've been able to follow me out of a timed portal before, so I'm not sure how that's supposed to work.

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 24th May 2013, 15:46

I've had things follow me out on multiple occasions from multiple maps. My guess is the exit portal is coded like a one way stair.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 24th May 2013, 18:34

I'm using a version from the rss feeds from early this month. Until I fix my regular computer the one I'm using struggles too much to deal with web play. If the exit works like an escape hatch then it doesn't seem like anything is awry though.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice