I want to win with every God

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Unarmed Combat 27.0

Post Thursday, 23rd May 2013, 05:15

I want to win with every God

Help me choose my species/background for the gods I have yet to win with. My only rule is that I won't reuse any species or background that I've already used. My current wins include:

KoBe of Trog
DDNe of Mahkheb
MuSu of Sif Muna
SpEn of Ashenzari
DEWz of Vehumet
MiFi of Okawaru > The Shining One
OpTm of Yredelemnul

I wont be using any of those species or backgrounds again, but I am open to the idea of using a God again as long as it involves me switching to a new God before the game is over. I know certain gods like Jiyva can be difficult to get going in the beginning. Here are the Gods I have an idea for my combinations.

Beogh - Hill Orc Priest, obviously.
Cheibriados - Naga Venom Mage
Elyvilon - Human Healer
Fedhas Madash - Merfolk Ice Elementalist
Kikubaaqudgha - Ghoul Monk
Lugonu - Demonspawn Abyssal Knight

I still haven't thought of anything for Jiyva, Zin, Nemelex or Xom. So, any idea for combinations for these gods, or even the gods I already have ideas for? The only one set in stone is the MfIE of Fedhas.

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 23rd May 2013, 05:25

Re: I want to win with every God

I won a Naga Transmuter of Jiyva recently. It was pretty fun. I like the idea of being a constantly-under-mutation shapeshifter. Jiyva's actually pretty strong with just about anyone, really, though.
Won Offline: NaFE(3), MiBe(3), HEIE(3), DsCj(3), MfSk(4), MfSk(15), DsIE(15).

I play online at crawl.s-z.org as Lyfon. There I have won: MfGl(15), NaTm(15), HEIE(15), HaAK(6), and NaDK(3).

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 23rd May 2013, 06:53

I was doing rather well with a TrEE of Nemelex recently. I haven't pursued it further, but it or TrMo might be worth considering. MfGl would be another one to consider for Fedhas. For Xom pick something you're confident in already...if you want to use a CK, I like humans, but I haven't gotten anywhere near a win with Xom yet.

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 23rd May 2013, 10:09

Trolls go quite well with Xom. Regen means you do not have to rest as much => Xom is less likely to get bored, and in the early game it is easier to survive whatever Xom decides to throw at you. TrCK is ok, or you can choose to start as a hunter or one of the backgrounds that has a good book.

diviton wrote:Cheibriados - Naga Venom Mage

Not sure about this combination. One of the good things about VM is that you can poison an enemy and then move, waiting for poison to deal more damage. You cannot do this with Chei, moreover you cannot run from enemies that resist poison. In addition, Cheibriados is not really good with Nagas as he further limits your ability to move during battle. Also, he does not help much in the early game, which is probably the hardest part for Nagas (you cannot run away on your own, and are yet to get access to reliable escape mechanisms).

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 23rd May 2013, 14:15

navm of chei sounds really terrible, don't do it.

Unarmed Combat 27.0

Post Thursday, 23rd May 2013, 14:25

See I thought Naga Venom Mage sounded good for early game because their poison aptitude is so high. Yes they aren't good at kiting, but since nagas resist poison you can just mephitic clour everything at point blank. Most things in the early game are susceptible to mephitic cloud. I figured chei would be good since nagas aren't out running anything and neither are chei worshippers, so I might as well be both. Especially since piety will come do quick as a naga.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 23rd May 2013, 14:50

diviton wrote:See I thought Naga Venom Mage sounded good for early game because their poison aptitude is so high. Yes they aren't good at kiting, but since nagas resist poison you can just mephitic clour everything at point blank. Most things in the early game are susceptible to mephitic cloud. I figured chei would be good since nagas aren't out running anything and neither are chei worshippers, so I might as well be both. Especially since piety will come do quick as a naga.

Poison magic seems slightly redundant to me with poison spit, but it's your call. If you want to make a naga of Chei though, Warper is another good choice.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 23rd May 2013, 16:11

Relevant question: how many runes do you want to win with?

Some gods are not as viable for the extended endgame.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 23rd May 2013, 16:25

I recent won a Naga Wizard with Cheibriados. If you are grabbing a Naga for the Mephitic Cloud then Wizard will work just as well for it - plus you get access to Blink which let's you run away as a Naga or a Cheibriados Worshiper (at least in 0.12).

If however you are against using Wizard again, then I might suggest you use the Warper Background. You won't get Mephitic Cloud (outside of random book drops) but you will get the ability to run away from stuff while worshiping Cheibrados. You also pick up Portal Projecticle which will probably work well since moving is hampered so much too.
A Google Doc I wrote up in regards to making a new 'workable' definition for the Roguelike Genre:
Defining the Roguelike Genre

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 23rd May 2013, 16:44

Try OgHu or OgAM of Chei. They are my favorite.
Dearest Steve
thanks for the gym equipment
the plane crashed

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 23rd May 2013, 16:48

Wark wrote:Trolls go quite well with Xom. Regen means you do not have to rest as much => Xom is less likely to get bored, and in the early game it is easier to survive whatever Xom decides to throw at you. TrCK is ok, or you can choose to start as a hunter or one of the backgrounds that has a good book.

Best part of TrCK is that you hit like a TrCK.

And you don't have a weapon for XOM to use to kill you. Is that gone in .12? I don't remember if that is in .12 or only in trunk.

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 23rd May 2013, 16:53

Xom won't animate your weapon in 0.12. He might swap it with an enemy's, so just have a spare and you're fine.
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 24th May 2013, 22:09

There are easier matches for Kiku than a Ghoul Monk. Kiku's late gifts are a Pain brand or the Necronomicon, and Ghouls are best unarmed and can't use most Necronomicon spells. Vampire Enchanter of Kiku is a classic alternative -- you stab early and later add pain-based melee with necro support.
Wins: DsWz(6), DDNe(4), HuIE(5), HuFE(4), MiBe(3)

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 24th May 2013, 22:22

And it makes the choice easy. Haunt is the only spell from the Necronomicon vampires can use, and it's hard to argue with a quick blade of pain.

Barkeep

Post Saturday, 25th May 2013, 19:24

Chei? TrEE. You wind up with decent int and dex so casting and dodging are reasonable things to do. You get good ranged combat (which isn't slowed by chei) and later, Statue Form helps with your horrible AC and makes your unarmed even more insane.

The early game is easy, too, because you're a troll.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 26th May 2013, 01:31

GhAr of Nemelex is pretty cool. You can blind draw decks of destruction and sacrifice every weapon and permafood, lots of piety and experience cards to be gotten.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice