As a caster, resistance or AC?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 22nd May 2013, 07:37

As a caster, resistance or AC?

This comes fairly often when I play as DE caster. I come across a glowing robe and find it is a nice +2 robe of fire resistance (or if I'm really lucky robe of resistance).

Then later I come across elven scale male or elven ring mail. Obviously if the elven heavy armor (which becomes light if equipped by elves) is branded with fire resistance I would go for it, but I wonder if AC alone would be the reason to switch to heavier armors.

Or how about dragon armors? The only time I wore any dragon armor was when I somehow found +10 pearl dragon armour. Is Fire Dragon Armor/Mottled Dragon Armor worth it, even in extended? I'm just not really convinced with FDA because it has that -rC property which would bite me back in the long run. Should those dragon armors worth it, even better than robe of resistance?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 22nd May 2013, 07:51

Re: As a caster, resistance or AC?

Robe with resistance is superior to +2 AC early game (if it is the only source of resistance). Later in the game it can be superior to AC +10, because corresponding spells damage is halved and it can save you more than 10 points of damage easily.
FDA/IDA is great, but don't wear it if it makes your vulnerable to ice/fire. DE caster can have 28 (30) AC without Armour skill, 16(18) of which come with fully enchanted FDA(IDA) so it should not be neglected.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 22nd May 2013, 10:32

Generally on Elves, I would avoid Dragon Armours unless the resistances (like when you have absolutely no rF+ Auxiliary Gear) are sorely needed and you have Enchant Armor Scrolls available. Elves are played because they make good casters in one department or another; even normal armour will make casting extremely difficult compare to its non-Elven equivalent. With the Deep Elf branch you should always be able to find one decent Ego on an Elven Scale Mail or Ring Mail.

As for Early Non-Branded Elven Armour, it might be worth considering if you feel your Elf is a character that engages heavily in Melee (Sludge Elf Transmuter for example). If you aren't Meleeing much though, the use of that Armour loses some of the lustre however - especially if it is an Elven Scale Mail or Higher, since it cuts into spells.
A Google Doc I wrote up in regards to making a new 'workable' definition for the Roguelike Genre:
Defining the Roguelike Genre

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 22nd May 2013, 15:27

Sandman25 wrote:Robe with resistance is superior to +2 AC early game (if it is the only source of resistance). Later in the game it can be superior to AC +10, because corresponding spells damage is halved and it can save you more than 10 points of damage easily.

You can quaff a resistance potion if you really need elemental resistances. On the other hand, there's no "potion of armour" to be found anywhere.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 22nd May 2013, 15:37

pratamawirya wrote:
Sandman25 wrote:Robe with resistance is superior to +2 AC early game (if it is the only source of resistance). Later in the game it can be superior to AC +10, because corresponding spells damage is halved and it can save you more than 10 points of damage easily.

You can quaff a resistance potion if you really need elemental resistances. On the other hand, there's no "potion of armour" to be found anywhere.

Stone Skin, Statue form, Ozocubu's Armour, Necromutation and they are not consumables unlike potion of resistance.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 22nd May 2013, 15:43

AC always helps. Resistances only help when you need them. You can switch on resistances when you need them.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 22nd May 2013, 16:04

some12fat2move wrote:AC always helps. Resistances only help when you need them. You can switch on resistances when you need them.

Sandman25 wrote:(if it is the only source of resistance)

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 23rd May 2013, 05:31

I think FDA or IDA is good. But I tend to only use them if I can nullify the weakness in some way. Other than that, you can just switch to the robes of resistance when it's super important for resistances anyways.
Won Offline: NaFE(3), MiBe(3), HEIE(3), DsCj(3), MfSk(4), MfSk(15), DsIE(15).

I play online at crawl.s-z.org as Lyfon. There I have won: MfGl(15), NaTm(15), HEIE(15), HaAK(6), and NaDK(3).

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice