note to self: Orc 4 is the new Vault 8

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 1st March 2011, 23:33

note to self: Orc 4 is the new Vault 8

I mean, seriously?

Advice is welcome. I'm probably going to burn my last blinking scroll in hopes that nobody is near the stairs, but I'm also thinking of digging my way into the south, then going around and back up the stairs. I'm wary of teleporting because Aizul is hanging around.

http://img811.imageshack.us/i/trawlz.jpg/

Sorry about the low res link in advance.

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 1st March 2011, 23:47

Re: note to self: Orc 4 is the new Vault 8

Geez! I've never seen anything like that!! :shock:

The area by the stairs, is it clear? I see ghost images of critters, but I assume they are not really there and have moved towards you?

I don't see anyone that can hit you in less than 2 moves. (Can't tell if there's an ogre magi in that mob.) But with two moves, you can chug that speed pot (or the inviso pot) and then Blink. Sure, that's two consumables. But if you die, those pots/scrolls are lost anyway.

That's what I'd do if the area by the stairs are clear. If they aren't then, I'd chug speed and dig dig dig!
Annotations
D:3 exclusion: Sigmund

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 1st March 2011, 23:58

Pff. There's not a single unkillable warlord, nor a high priest / sorcerer spamming summon demons, and you're complaining? Wuss. :p

In all seriousness, Orc:4 varies wildly in terms of difficulty. Some games it's got nothing but popcorn orcs, others it's well stocked with beefier bipeds (ogres and trolls, see above), and sometimes there'll be a highest level orc by all three stairs. It makes gauging preparation hard.

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 2nd March 2011, 00:15

I got lucky and there was only an orc priest able to follow me up the stairs. One more turn and I would've had a troll, two ogres, and a hill giant making me into chunks and dragon hide.

I'll get my revenge, though. Just wait.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 2nd March 2011, 06:55

Yep just come back later, don't want to take any risks now. Like mentioned earlier, Orc:4 has a huge range in difficulty: usually it's just orcs/wizards/priests, but bad stuff like warlords, sorcerers, and even Iron Trolls and Stone Giants will appear.
TrCK:
Xom grants you an implement of some kind.
_Something appears at your feet!
4790 gold pieces {god gift}.

DsAr:
You blink. You feel slightly more hungry. Prince Ribbit hits you. You die...
"Hey, that's my toy!"
Xom revives you!

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 2nd March 2011, 17:30

Yah, the new Orc:4s are awesome!! I tackled one a couple days ago that just had a seemingly endless supply of centaurs, orc warriors, and knights (warriors and knights armed with crossbows) ... Took me about 30 minutes of real time to take them all down, which was a drastic improvement over the old vanilla orc:4. Putting a guaranteed themed minivault at the end of the mines makes it so so much more enjoyable.

Prior to this, I found myself skipping the orc mines alltogether in about half my games if I had already done the lair first. There was neglible loot, and usually neglible XP. Now, it's just plain fun!

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 2nd March 2011, 19:12

Just had my best Orc:4 ever on CDO. If I hadn't used some consumables that would absolutely result in a YASD.
Entered the level, killed a few orcs, then a Stone Giant appeared and started throwing large rocks at me. He missed a lot (thank you EV) and I actually managed to kill him with Stone Arrow.
Few turns later i found a Rock Troll and Nergalle, but i killed these without problems.
Then I found a HUGE vault, probably filled to the brim with orcs of all kinds. Cleared the rest of the level first then entered the vault, wich had a lot of orc priests and a High Priest. Some smites later and I'm dangerously low on hp. Decided to run while i still could. Then, while running through an already explored area i run into a bunch of orcs, and an Orc Sorcerer, who bolt of fired me, almost resulting in YASD. To make things better, an Warlord appears out of nowhere. Lucky me, he hadn't a crossbow. Quaffed all my potions of heal wounds and a potion of speed and managed to climb up the stairs alone.

I almost never found even a single Orc Knight in the entire mines. It's true, Orc:4 varies wildly in terms of difficulty.

Temple Termagant

Post Wednesday, 2nd March 2011, 19:59

Oh man, you newbies complaining about Orc makes me laugh. Orc has always been a game of Russian Roulette, that's why everyone recommends doing Lair first.

hxy

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 3rd March 2011, 05:40

Is there a "recommended sequence" for clearing these branches?
My current character was halfway through Orc:4 and spotted an Iron Troll. Ended up turning back and went to clear Lair first.
Now finished Lair and halfway through Snake.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 3rd March 2011, 07:45

This was pretty much what my last near trunk orc 4 looked like.
Brothers in Arms of Trog and invisibility.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 3rd March 2011, 12:33

hxy wrote:Is there a "recommended sequence" for clearing these branches?

Persistent rumors to the contrary, there is no recommended sequence. The next level to clear is always going to be a risk-benefit analysis, based on your personal experience. The facts on the ground once you actually poke your head down there will ALWAYS override the 'Crawl walkthroughs' posted by random internet people.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 3rd March 2011, 14:37

For some builds, it's worth leaving Orc until very late unless you really need some cash or you need a shot at some branded weapons/armour. These would be builds that get piety for kills and that have abilities that burn piety (Troggies, Okans, and Makhlebites come to mind), and if you take those builds into places like Tomb or the Abyss where you're going to burn a lot of piety and not get it back quickly. Orc provides plenty of popcorn monsters to rebuild your piety in a hurry.
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

7hm

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 3rd March 2011, 17:19

KoboldLord wrote:
hxy wrote:Is there a "recommended sequence" for clearing these branches?

Persistent rumors to the contrary, there is no recommended sequence. The next level to clear is always going to be a risk-benefit analysis, based on your personal experience. The facts on the ground once you actually poke your head down there will ALWAYS override the 'Crawl walkthroughs' posted by random internet people.

That is true but that being said if you always follow the same pattern, allowing for exceptional cases based on build and circumstances, you'll have an easier go at it. You'll be encountering the same threats every game and learning how to deal with them appropriately. I'd say most people do Lair before Orc. My own pattern is usually Lair > Orc > dungeons until Vault > first couple levels of Vault / Snake / Shoals / Swamp / dungeon clearing depending on the guy > Vault:8 > clear to d:27 > who knows.

Crypt / Elf and Hall of Blades are done as appropriate to the character. Hive as well.

gb

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 5th March 2011, 00:46

Gabriellk wrote:Then I found a HUGE vault, probably filled to the brim with orcs of all kinds. Cleared the rest of the level first then entered the vault, wich had a lot of orc priests and a High Priest.

i got that vault once! it's really fun and i keep wishing i'd find it again

Swamp Slogger

Post Saturday, 5th March 2011, 01:38

I get the Ogre vault 90% of the time, feels like one of the easiest ones.

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 5th March 2011, 04:24

Wow, I've never found a vault in Orc:4 before, is it guaranteed? Maybe I haven't searched the whole level.
TrCK:

DsAr:
"Hey, that's my toy!"
Xom revives you!

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 5th March 2011, 08:18

It's guaranteed in trunk, or so I hear.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 6th March 2011, 02:20

Mine requires a +6 Demon Blade to enter and I have a +1/+4 on me right now, but no scrolls.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 6th March 2011, 02:34

As a hill orc priest, should i delay the last level of Orc to max peity and higher LVLS for better conversion rates? I hate seeing an orc warlord and having to kill him!! Why won't you be my minion.

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 6th March 2011, 07:21

Nope, even at max piety and level 25 or so you won't guarantee convert warlords. Besides, you'll get several by the endgame if you keep your knights alive.
TrCK:

DsAr:
"Hey, that's my toy!"
Xom revives you!

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 7th March 2011, 11:37

Note to self: Orc:4 ogre vault with two-headed's and mages is fun fun fun and tons of free XP - when playing SpVM 8-) .
... and forgive us our YASDs,
As we forgive our developers,
And lead us not into the Abyss,
But deliver us from Sigmund,
For Thine is the Roguelike,
the Orb and the Victory,
now and forever.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice