rSticky

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 6th April 2013, 04:12

rSticky

Does it protect against any other stickies besides sticky flame?

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 6th April 2013, 04:28

Re: rSticky

Uh... *what* other stickies?

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 6th April 2013, 09:16

Oh my...

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 6th April 2013, 11:19

sticky flame is the only stickable thing in the game i reckon,so no,i doesnt protect you against anything else

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 6th April 2013, 11:31

Maybe it should give rPie

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 6th April 2013, 11:33

Never did understand the hate that lighter dragon armor gets. The big suits all have very useful resistances (albeit with a pip of countering weakness), while the medium or lighter suits are, with the exception perhaps of the ultra rare pearl dragon armor, so situationally useful as to be completely unimportant regarding resistance. Steam resistance? Please..

Making an item simply mediocre instead of strong + weak does not make it balanced. It makes it useless. See min-maxing vs jack of all trades/master of none in DnD.

It would be nice if mottled dragon armor was +rF -rC, the lowered AC is what balances it for the other classes. As it is on a EV character, I rarely see the benefit of enchanting a suit of mottled armor up vs the inevitable randart items waiting to be found/gifted/purchased. Hell, even a +2 robe of MR is going to be superior for the most part, and this despite that mottled is arguably the best in its class while the MR robe is fairly common. This removes the key alure of enchantment scrolls which is too bad (i save them instead for those boots of running or a cloak of preservation, ie nonrandarts that you know you will wear all the time if you find them).

Even better would be if you could somehow affix an ego to armor, temporarily/permanently ala weapon brand spells and vorpalize scrolls. Or if they actually had a chance of dropping with an ego, maybe a magic after affect or what have you.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 6th April 2013, 12:10

You think a robe of magic resistance is better than +6 mottled dragon armor?

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 6th April 2013, 12:26

Um, does this thread remind anyone else of the caterpillar-dragon from dragon hunters?
daggaz wrote:Never did understand the hate that lighter dragon armor gets. The big suits all have very useful resistances (albeit with a pip of countering weakness), while the medium or lighter suits are, with the exception perhaps of the ultra rare pearl dragon armor, so situationally useful as to be completely unimportant regarding resistance. Steam resistance? Please..

Making an item simply mediocre instead of strong + weak does not make it balanced. It makes it useless. See min-maxing vs jack of all trades/master of none in DnD.
It would be nice if mottled dragon armor was +rF -rC, the lowered AC is what balances it for the other classes. As it is on a EV character, I rarely see the benefit of enchanting a suit of mottled armor up vs the inevitable randart items waiting to be found/gifted/purchased. Hell, even a +2 robe of MR is going to be superior for the most part, and this despite that mottled is arguably the best in its class while the MR robe is fairly common. This removes the key alure of enchantment scrolls which is too bad (i save them instead for those boots of running or a cloak of preservation, ie nonrandarts that you know you will wear all the time if you find them).

Even better would be if you could somehow affix an ego to armor, temporarily/permanently ala weapon brand spells and vorpalize scrolls. Or if they actually had a chance of dropping with an ego, maybe a magic after affect or what have you.

I'm not sure.
Some of the lighter armours can be good for a caster who is otherwise lacking AC (while lacking the skills to cast Ice Storm in FDA). I like troll leather too. Adding too many resistances would make these overpowered.
Finding a nice artifact MDA can be great:
  Code:
 I - the +4 mottled dragon armour "Qodoi" (worn) {rPois rF++ Stlth--}
:-)
Although you've got a good point in that I think I nearly always end up in a robe (artifact, archmagi, or resistance).

I like your idea of a "vorpalize" scroll working on armour too. I'm not sure if that would be balanced or exactly how it should work, but I like it.
Extending that thought into a not-entirely-serious suggestion, maybe this should work like weapons? A plain vorpal scroll could add the protection brand, however casting it while in Lich form could add rN+, or rF+ for RoF, or rC+ for Ozcuobo's. (You only get one, with a random choice if multiple apply). LOL!

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 6th April 2013, 12:52

Finding a nice artifact <anything> is pretty much the reason the standard suits arent put to use.. and really, a few points of AC is not worth the resistance pip, especially on a character who should be primarily EV if they are even considering mottled dragon armor. Troll regen is a good example of a more useful ego tho, ill give you that. I still dont wear it.

EDIT: for the record, I think I have seen artifact, low EV-penalty dragon armors a grand total of 3 or 4 times.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 6th April 2013, 13:02

BlackSheep wrote:You think a robe of magic resistance is better than +6 mottled dragon armor?

Most of the time, yes. Thats on a character with EV at least 30 and usually a fair amount of AC stacked up from everything else. IF you have enough scrolls to stack it to +6, and IF you have other sources of MR, then ok, mottled starts to look good. But more often than not, you dont have at least one of those two things, and a pip of MR gets more and more worth it as the AC bonus drops from +8.

Getting hit in melee is avoidable on so many levels. Getting hit by confusion/banishment/bad_spell_whatever, not so much.

I like a plain old +3 leather armor of rF+ just as much. And I normally find a decent randart before I ever get enough scrolls to max out a MDA.
Last edited by daggaz on Saturday, 6th April 2013, 13:11, edited 1 time in total.

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 6th April 2013, 13:10

ITT: people not understanding how AC works.

For this message the author yogaFLAME has received thanks:
rebthor

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 6th April 2013, 13:13

yogaFLAME wrote:ITT: people not understanding how AC works.

daggaz wrote:and a fair amount of AC stacked up from everything else

nice of you to dismiss all the other non-ac arguments out of hand tho, it really strengthens your argument ignoring inconvenient facts like that.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 6th April 2013, 13:34

Steam and mottled dragon armour are both very good (steam dragon armour is not particularly useful because mottled exists and is both more common and better, but if mottled didn't exist then it would be very good).

For some characters a robe of MR is better than MDA, but for most probably not, assuming you can enchant the MDA to +4-ish or more.

(+6 MDA is at least 8 more AC than a +2 robe of MR, usually more like 9 more AC since getting a bit of armour skill is worthwhile in MDA. Ring of robustness is generally much better than a ring of MR.)

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 6th April 2013, 14:16

um, MDA is one of the best armours in the game. It doesn't need to give any resistances.

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 6th April 2013, 14:46

sgrunt wrote:Uh... *what* other stickies?

I wanted to know if it protected against corona. I guess the answer is no. (But then again, corona may be considered more of a glow effect)

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 6th April 2013, 15:36

Fergy wrote:
sgrunt wrote:Uh... *what* other stickies?

I wanted to know if it protected against corona. I guess the answer is no. (But then again, corona may be considered more of a glow effect)

I'm wondering if perhaps you need to look "corona" up in the dictionary. Because it has a very specific meaning that's the same both in real life and in Crawl. And I fail to see how anyone could possibly think this had anything to do with sticky substances.

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 6th April 2013, 16:47

mumra wrote:I'm wondering if perhaps you need to look "corona" up in the dictionary. Because it has a very specific meaning that's the same both in real life and in Crawl. And I fail to see how anyone could possibly think this had anything to do with sticky substances.

Holy bat shit. Are you always a condescending ass hat?

Since crawl is based on real life, I'll use a picture to ask a question.

Is this corona or sticky flame?

I'll assume when you told me to look up corona in the dictionary, that you were referring to a solar corona and not a circumcision scar. If so, this image should meet the requirements for both corona and sticky flame (a powerful sticky flame). However, I understand that the way you picture sticky flame may not be the way I picture it.

Maybe the way you see it is more like this:
This is the way I picture the weaker version of the spell. If this is the way you picture the spell all the time, please answer one more question: Why does the enemy always sticky flame the satchel that contains my scrolls?

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 6th April 2013, 17:00

what

For this message the author Kate has received thanks:
rebthor

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 6th April 2013, 17:23

Dude I'm pretty sure you're overreacting, maybe you should chill. If you understood what a corona is, you would know that napalm has nothing to do with it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corona

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 6th April 2013, 20:31

I apologise, I genuinely did not mean to be condescending but rather informative. A corona more generally refers to a glowing ring of light - you can see this in the astronomical sense, but this also works with the glow you can sometimes observe surrounding a flame - it does not refer to the flame itself. There are many other usages of the word corona, but in pretty much all cases it describes an arc- or ring- shaped feature ... even in the example you brought up of a circumcision scar (although I've been unable to find any source for this definition, at least not in any of the kind of online references I use). So I'm pretty sure there is some sort of misunderstanding here; and the second of the two photos you posted is simply a flame, not a corona. The fact that it's on his head has nothing to do with it (although corona can also mean "a crownlike structure, such as the top of the head" - I have not researched this further but it seems extremely likely that "corona" and "crown" have a shared etymological ancestry).

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 6th April 2013, 20:34

daggaz wrote:
yogaFLAME wrote:ITT: people not understanding how AC works.

daggaz wrote:and a fair amount of AC stacked up from everything else

nice of you to dismiss all the other non-ac arguments out of hand tho, it really strengthens your argument ignoring inconvenient facts like that.

ok, let me be more specific

daggaz wrote:Getting hit in melee is avoidable on so many levels.

AC does far more than reduce melee damage.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 6th April 2013, 20:37

Corona is indeed Latin for crown. Hence coronation.

For this message the author Grimm has received thanks:
mumra

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Saturday, 6th April 2013, 22:39

minmay wrote:http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/abandon-thread-gif-cats.gif

The more I see this gif, the more I laugh :lol:
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 7th April 2013, 03:05

Grimm wrote:Corona is indeed Latin for crown. Hence coronation.

We need to sticky this thread!

Grimm just wrote something intelligent and informative. :D

So lets try to compensate, the urban dictionary had this for Corona :
magic liquid that makes every kind of moving object look like a hot girl. side affects may include:
1. waking up next to an ugly girl
2. waking up next to a really ugly girl
3. waking up next to a man
4. waking up next to a tree with a small hole in it
5. waking up next to a combination of the four
Oh man what a night! I actully screwed cameron diaz! it was so good! Why is there corona bottles all over the room? And what the hell is this tree doing here?

We actually need this ! in crawl.

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 7th April 2013, 03:28

varsovie wrote:We need to sticky this thread!

Unfortunately that will have no effect on players wearing MDA.

For this message the author mumra has received thanks:
BlackSheep

Barkeep

Post Sunday, 7th April 2013, 22:54

nago wrote:
minmay wrote:http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/abandon-thread-gif-cats.gif

The more I see this gif, the more I laugh :lol:

Me too, it is why I am the Least Useful Moderator Ever.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Zot Zealot

Post Monday, 8th April 2013, 10:35

I resemble that remark!
I am sure I played flawflessly. This was an utmost unfair death. -- gorbeh

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 8th April 2013, 17:06

Any more like that and I'll ban the both of you.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice