Warding, Oka gifts and 0.12

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 2nd April 2013, 12:13

Warding, Oka gifts and 0.12

Bonjour fellow motherfuckers!

A few questions if I may: 1) Does warding ego protect your character against mummy death curse summons, reapers of course being of particular interest? 2) Does Oka armour gifts respects the strentgh requirements of body armour compared to your characterss actual strenght in any way? 3) When is 0.12 out approximately?

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 2nd April 2013, 14:29

Re: Warding, Oka gifts and 0.12

Warding only affects melee attacks from summons I believe, however warding's secondary effect--the negative protection, helps a little against torment. Note that it's not like other resistances where one pip helps a lot. You really want three pips of negative protection to deal with torment if you don't have another source of protection like Kiku or whatever.

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 2nd April 2013, 14:38

Bomanz wrote:Warding only affects melee attacks from summons I believe, however warding's secondary effect--the negative protection, helps a little against torment. Note that it's not like other resistances where one pip helps a lot. You really want three pips of negative protection to deal with torment if you don't have another source of protection like Kiku or whatever.

Well yes, but IS a mummy death curse summon considered as a summon in terms of warding or not?

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 2nd April 2013, 14:39

1) The mummy curses don't summon stuff IIRC, they create proper monsters. So warding wont help you against those reapers.
Edit: they seem to be permanent summons after all, but warding doesn't help because of other reasons.

2) I don't think so, but I'm just guessing really.

3) When it's done. Probably fairly soon. Almost certainly some time within the next 3 months. It's already in the bugfixing phase, but it still needs more testing. If anything serious crops up or changes that require additional testing are needed that might delay the release, so don't hold your breath.
Last edited by Galefury on Tuesday, 2nd April 2013, 21:53, edited 1 time in total.

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 2nd April 2013, 15:10

Mankeli wrote:
Bomanz wrote:Warding only affects melee attacks from summons I believe, however warding's secondary effect--the negative protection, helps a little against torment. Note that it's not like other resistances where one pip helps a lot. You really want three pips of negative protection to deal with torment if you don't have another source of protection like Kiku or whatever.

Well yes, but IS a mummy death curse summon considered as a summon in terms of warding or not?

I apologize I misread your post.

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 2nd April 2013, 15:37

Bomanz wrote:
Mankeli wrote:

I apologize I misread your post.

That's quite allright.

Galefury wrote:1) The mummy curses don't summon stuff IIRC, they create proper monsters. So warding wont help you against those reapers.

2) I don't think so, but I'm just guessing really.

3) When it's done. Probably fairly soon. Almost certainly some time within the next 3 months. It's already in the bugfixing phase, but it still needs more testing. If anything serious crops up or changes that require additional testing are needed that might delay the release, so don't hold your breath.

Thanks! Positively surprised about the probable release schedule.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Tuesday, 2nd April 2013, 15:49

Well, mummy curses create durably summoned mobs but I'm not sure if they also have the 'summoned' tag on them. Best to just try it out in wizmode.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 2nd April 2013, 16:13

It's odd, both reapers and soul eaters that appear because of a mummy death curse are marked as summoned on screen, but don't ever seem to flinch away.

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 2nd April 2013, 18:13

BlackSheep wrote:It's odd, both reapers and soul eaters that appear because of a mummy death curse are marked as summoned on screen, but don't ever seem to flinch away.

Soul eaters have very good MR, and reapers are immune to magic.

For this message the author CommanderC has received thanks: 3
BlackSheep, Mankeli, Psieye

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 2nd April 2013, 18:20

CommanderC wrote:
BlackSheep wrote:It's odd, both reapers and soul eaters that appear because of a mummy death curse are marked as summoned on screen, but don't ever seem to flinch away.

Soul eaters have very good MR, and reapers are immune to magic.

So Warding is even worse than it looks.

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 2nd April 2013, 22:44

Yep.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 3rd April 2013, 05:57

Well, Warding + 2 rings of Life Protection will make you immune to draining attacks, I cannot call it useless. Especially if you have warding from brooch of Shielding {Ward AC+4 EV+4}. I used the combination in my previous game and I liked it.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Wednesday, 3rd April 2013, 08:27

The Geryon fight is possibly the one time I'll consider wearing Warding.

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 3rd April 2013, 10:10

Shielding is of course very good, myself I'll only use vanilla warding in Tomb because all other amulets are even worse there (unless I'm using faith, depends on god).
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice