Which weapon should I use?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Temple Termagant

Post Sunday, 27th February 2011, 12:35

Which weapon should I use?

Hi,
I'm playing as a kobold berserker for the first time after seeing the combo praised on the forum somewhere, anyway he's doing pretty well, cleared out the lair and am starting the snake pits now.
My problem is that Trog has gifted me some pretty awesome weapons and I have no idea which one is best for me.

Hand weapons
e - an uncursed dagger
f - a +0,+4 demon whip of electrocution {god gift}
n - an uncursed blowgun
E - a +5,+3 anti-magic demon whip {god gift}
S - the +4,+4 morningstar of the Original Sin {god gift, speed, +Blink}
(Trog gifted it to you on level 7 of the Lair of Beasts)
Attacks with this weapon take half as long as usual.
It lets you blink.
U - an uncursed morningstar of holy wrath
W - a +0,+4 eveningstar of protection (weapon) {god gift}

I know demon whips are very powerful but the morningstar has a speed brand on it and the eveningstar seems quite powerful as well, any advice on what to use?

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 27th February 2011, 17:48

Re: Which weapon should I use?

The speed branded one is probably the best overall.
The electric one could also be useful, especially for something with good damage reduction.
I haven't used anti-magic, so I can't comment.
Holy wrath, I dunno. It's useful, but speed brand might still out-damage it against demons.
The protection one I'd just stash.

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 27th February 2011, 19:35

I would go with the elec branded demon whip. The morningstar's base speed is 15, so its minimum delay is going to be 7. With the speed brand it will be 4. By comparison, demon whip's minimum delay is 5. Giving up one delay seems worth it to me when you consider the higher base damage and punchy elec brand on the demon whip.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 28th February 2011, 18:24

That blinking could totally save your tail though.

Blink as an activated ability on a non caster is HUGE.

Temple Termagant

Post Monday, 28th February 2011, 21:36

It doesn't matter now anyway, he got taken out by a greater naga who seemed much more powerful than normal :( , idk maybe i just got unlucky. Thanks for the advice anyway, i was using the elec whip in the end.

The morningstar's base speed is 15, so its minimum delay is going to be 7.

Is the minimum delay on a weapon just half of its maximum delay then? and what sort of skill level do you need to reach the minimum delay?

The anti-magic brand seems quite powerful as well, it drains the enemys MP and makes any spell they cast in the next round fail; it was pretty handy against a couple of my nastier ghosts anyway. :P

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 28th February 2011, 21:47

Shame about the naga.

The minimum delay is half of the base delay, rounded down. At least, that is the case for most weapons. Every two points in weapon skill decreases your weapon delay by one.

For the full story, you can see the attack speed entry in the wiki.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 28th February 2011, 23:32

kipponium wrote:The anti-magic brand seems quite powerful as well, it drains the enemys MP and makes any spell they cast in the next round fail; it was pretty handy against a couple of my nastier ghosts anyway. :P

It only does the mp-draining bit to you, specifically. Monsters don't have mp to drain, so they are immune to that part of the effect. The miscast part does affect them, though.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice