Thanks, Taverners! (first rune)

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Lair Larrikin

Post Friday, 15th March 2013, 15:06

Thanks, Taverners! (first rune)

This is going to seem woefully non-eventful to those who've won the game, but I just got my first rune, and I'm genuinely excited.

I've been playing RLs since 1990 and DCSS for years, without much success. Then started to ask for help on the predecessor to this board. Lately, thanks to the various threads here, I'm getting far more out of the game.

Thanks, community. :0)

Update Dec 2016: First win! Lesson - don't give up. If you're really bad it might take years, but it is winnable by even the worst player.
Last edited by Trobe on Wednesday, 14th December 2016, 12:06, edited 1 time in total.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 15th March 2013, 15:10

Re: Thanks, Taverners! (first rune)

Grats man, first rune is a pretty big milestone and often ends up also turning into your first win. Let us know how it turns out.
kekekela is my in-game name

For this message the author battaile has received thanks:
Trobe

Lair Larrikin

Post Friday, 15th March 2013, 16:35

battaile wrote:Grats man, first rune is a pretty big milestone

It was a real shock. I was just thinking the nest was getting tough, and after this level I'd go back to the vaults, or the main dungeon. Then there it was.

Unarmed Combat 27.0

Post Friday, 15th March 2013, 20:05

Congrats man. The Spider's Nest was also my first rune and I was also very excited. To make you feel even more accomplished, the Spider's Nest is probably the hardest of the 4 random Lair branches. At least it is in my opinion. As battaile said, once you've gotten a rune, you hit a point in the game where you're capable of handling what the game throws at you. There's a good chance you'll get three and make it to Zot. Of course, the dungeon is unforgiving, but the first time I got a rune, I made it to Zot...and then died in the Orb chamber. ;_;

What kind of character are you playing?

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 16th March 2013, 05:33

Took me a long time too, the learning curve is pretty intense. =) Congrats on your progression as a player!

diviton wrote:the Spider's Nest is probably the hardest of the 4 random Lair branches

Shoals are in my opinion. When I see Shoals I die a little inside.

diviton wrote:What kind of character are you playing?

I am curious too!

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 18th March 2013, 12:37

Been playing off and on for years and got my first rune a couple of weeks ago as well (Spider's Nest). It was really exciting. Then I got 2 more and died stupidly going for a fourth in Slime Pits, lol (pulled a four rune win a few runs later though). The game just gets more addicting once you start having progress.

ZipZipskins wrote:
diviton wrote:the Spider's Nest is probably the hardest of the 4 random Lair branches

Shoals are in my opinion. When I see Shoals I die a little inside.

That's weird. I consider Shoals to be by far the easiest. The turtles are the only monster in there that don't instantly die, barring insane uniques like Mennas.

Unarmed Combat 27.0

Post Monday, 18th March 2013, 14:42

I think the branch difficulty can vary depending on your character build, of course. I thought the Snake Pit was generally considered the easiest. Just because Naga's are slow and easy to escape from should the need arise.

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 18th March 2013, 15:06

also it doesn't fuck with your ability to move around (no water, no spiderwebs).

what was the "predecessor to this board"?
Wins: DDBe (3 runes, morgue file)

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Monday, 18th March 2013, 15:34

diviton wrote:I think the branch difficulty can vary depending on your character build, of course. I thought the Snake Pit was generally considered the easiest. Just because Naga's are slow and easy to escape from should the need arise.

It definitely was the easiest until Constriction came in. Now it's up for debate depending on what kind of character you have.

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 18th March 2013, 17:08

I seem to die a lot to constriction in Snake now. Because of that and the fact that so many Snake creatures have high MR and see invisible, I think Swamp is easier now.

Ken

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 20th March 2013, 14:30

Well it turned out to be YASD (slime in the Swamp). But I don't care I wasn't even frustrated - I got 11 hours of pure joy from that MiBe.

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 20th March 2013, 17:58

FDru wrote:That's weird. I consider Shoals to be by far the easiest. The turtles are the only monster in there that don't instantly die, barring insane uniques like Mennas.

I hate navigating it and I hate the ridiculous amount of open terrain with the ridiculous amount of merfolk throwing crap at you. Some of the vaults that show up in Shoals are absolutely wicked too.

Ilsuiw is also way more scary than Arachne, to me at least.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice