Alistair's Intoxication - is Clarity necessary?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 22nd December 2010, 23:14

Alistair's Intoxication - is Clarity necessary?

Alistair's seems like a cool spell except for confusing yourself as well. Do people use this spell only if they have Clarity, or can it still be useful without that amulet?

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 22nd December 2010, 23:25

Re: Alistair's Intoxication - is Clarity necessary?

I never tried it myself, but I imagine you could always un-confuse youself with a potion of healing. You won't be able to spam Alistair's Intoxication all day long, but if plan on using it only in select occasions (Vaults:8 :twisted:), I guess it would work.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 23rd December 2010, 02:47

Alistair + Clarity = Powerful.

But from my experiences, even with Clarity, Alistair can still hurt you. If you use it too much, your INT will occasionally drop by 1 point. I don't know what causes that, and Sustain Ability doesn't help either. :|

The INT drop is especially annoying when you're playing a Deep Dwarf. :D

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 23rd December 2010, 14:16

pratamawirya wrote:Alistair + Clarity = Powerful.

But from my experiences, even with Clarity, Alistair can still hurt you. If you use it too much, your INT will occasionally drop by 1 point. I don't know what causes that, and Sustain Ability doesn't help either. :|

"...works by converting a portion of brain matter to alcohol..."

Even if you don't end up confused as a result, you're still killing off brain cells. It's well worth the occasional INT loss, and even DDs can get around that with a few royal jellies.

I abused the heck out of this spell a few games ago with a SpAE that found an early amulet of clarity. Using it against Saint Roka and his boyz was a blast, and it was the easiest time ever I'd had clearing Elf down to 6. Of course, the guy behind the keyboard ended up losing a few INT points of his own to it and I got nailed by a big hydra that I was trying to stab. Oops.

I suppose that you could use it in a limited fashion even without clarity, as the confusion effect tends to wear off for the player faster than it does for the monsters. Just don't do it in mixed company of things that fall to it and things that don't.
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 23rd December 2010, 18:25

I abuse Intoxication whenever I can. I love using it on Elf:7 (mass drowning) and Vault:8 (free to spam LOS attacks without retaliation). I only use it when I find a source of clarity, though. I would never intentionally confuse myself, unless I was desperate.

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 24th December 2010, 16:51

doesn't resist poison also make you immune to this spell? I seem to remember having a character use this spell often.

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 24th December 2010, 18:15

cganya wrote:doesn't resist poison also make you immune to this spell? I seem to remember having a character use this spell often.

No.

http://crawl.chaosforge.org/index.php?t ... toxication

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice