Bad Forms and threat of Str 0

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Monday, 18th February 2013, 09:54

Bad Forms and threat of Str 0

At the end of last week, we got the Bad Forms branch merged into trunk. Now you don't get horribly mutated because Ijyb or some random mook had a wand of polymorph. On the other hand, one of the possible Bad Forms is bat form. This has -5 Str as part of the package. You cannot cancel out of Bad Forms (unlike any other form shifting, including Nemelex cards). I can't remember if bat form lets you drink, certainly some of the other Bad Forms have this restriction.

People will have to make up their minds on whether to ensure their weak DE or Sp have 6+ Str to avoid stat death from a fluke polymorph.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 18th February 2013, 09:59

Re: Bad Forms and threat of Str 0

Do bad forms last long enough to lead to stat death?

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Monday, 18th February 2013, 10:11

Good point. I think they lasted tens of turns when experimenting in Wizmode. Probably not long enough to directly die from Str 0 but definitely long enough for the periodic paralysis bouts from the "Str 0 = Collapse" state, which lasts some time even after you've come out of Str 0.

I have had a Sp get turned into a bat (deck of escape) and immediately cancel the transformation, but that was enough for an elephant (already at melee range) to get some 4~5 hits in (my Sp speed didn't kick in until Collapse disappeared). I don't hold much hope for a bat that can't escape the transformation, given bats have minimal AC and paralysis means minimal EV.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 18th February 2013, 13:23

So now poly other threatens to actually (indirectly) kill the player for a short period instead of just annoying him for god knows how long and people are complaining?
Your warning level: [CLASSIFIED]

For this message the author ebarrett has received thanks:
crate

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Monday, 18th February 2013, 13:33

I don't interpret the above discussion as 'complaining'. I read it as 'seeking clarification on possible (albeit rare) death cause from the awesome change'.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 18th February 2013, 14:09

I'm just doing a preemptive strike and claiming some easy thanks. If I was going to be serious I'd mention how silly it is to have forms which change you into a completely different creature have physical attributes relative to your untransformed totals as opposed to having their own fixed numbers, but I don't think that's an "issue" worth being serious about - it would carry its own set of inconsistencies, it would create different behaviours for different transformations which would be something hard to both explain and justify, and it'd make players less likely to die to some freak accident anyway.
Your warning level: [CLASSIFIED]

Barkeep

Post Monday, 18th February 2013, 16:19

Why does batform have -5 strength? Just to make you burdened?
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 18th February 2013, 22:05

What made you happy today?
Shatari wrote:I traded a goat for a Nintendo DS XL, and a ton of games.

Halls Hopper

Location: Inside the Lernaean Hydra's stomach (Thank god for this Amulet of rCorr)

Post Tuesday, 19th February 2013, 04:07

ebarrett wrote:So now poly other threatens to actually (indirectly) kill the player for a short period instead of just annoying him for god knows how long and people are complaining?

wow, you mean there are people who actually find DCSS difficult enough as is? Perish the thought.
Cheers, luv! The CeFi's here!

Wins: MiFi of Qaz (6 runes)

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 19th February 2013, 07:36

Quite bluntly, I doubt this is a net change to more deadly. 2-3 random mutations are much more likely to contribute to my death than an unlucky bat transform. Seriously, there's quite a handful of forms, and bat is only deadly if I can't recover. And then only on particularly low-strength builds. I often will be able to handle it through blinking, teleport, might, etc. until the transform is over. But I really have a hard time doing anything to keep from dying with slow movement 2. (Convert to Cheib?)
Usual account: pblur on kelbi

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Tuesday, 19th February 2013, 09:36

No, it most certainly isn't a net change to more deadly. It's merely something new (the "can't cancel transformation that's killing me" part), which is the sole reason I started this discussion. I know, we've been through so many complaints and pleas for help that it's very easy to read a supposed-to-be-neutral discussion as a grumbling. Frankly, I like the rare possibility of death by Str 0 due to a fluke Bad Form - a lot more satisfying than "oh shit you end up with Slow Move 2 and Blurry Vision".

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 19th February 2013, 18:38

Make the bad form bat force you to drop all your equipment. Tada!
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 20th February 2013, 21:12

Just got jumped by Grinder with a wand of polymorph. What pre-forms would have been a GG due to mutation spam instead became a really fun game where I'm running away as a hog, until I decided to stand my hoggy ground for a turn, morph back into an elf, and then blast away.

Super fun. Whereas getting slow from a wand felt like I was being ripped off by the RNG, this made me feel like I had a chance.

Thank you devs!!

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 21st February 2013, 00:07

Lol...yes...probably should have said QQ.

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 21st February 2013, 00:55

Huh! That's about the best Grinder encounter you could hope for :)
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 21st February 2013, 05:03

Can you now use Wand of Polymorph on yourself again?
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 21st February 2013, 06:24

XuaXua wrote:Can you now use Wand of Polymorph on yourself again?

Yep.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Thursday, 21st February 2013, 09:28

nicolae wrote:
XuaXua wrote:Can you now use Wand of Polymorph on yourself again?

Yep.

That was one of the first things I did when I got the trunk download. Make a wizmode game, spawn a polymorph wand and zap myself 20 times to see what bad forms happen. I don't think I got to see all the bad forms, but it was fun.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 21st February 2013, 11:00

Does magic resistance help against getting polymorphed?

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Thursday, 21st February 2013, 11:04

Yes. It's annoying that slugs and snails have "some MR" as I want to polymorph them into more interesting monsters to beat up.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice