Question about a particular Xom Gift

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Sunday, 3rd February 2013, 14:26

Question about a particular Xom Gift

So, many characters ago, I was a plaything of Xom, when he decided to gift me something called a Bottle of Efreeti. I immediately assumed that Efreet are like Genies, i.e. they grant you a wish. In terms of the game, I assumed that it was like a scroll of acquirement. So I didn't take any precautions at all (stupid thing to do, I know), and I immediately used the bottle. A hostile Efreeti popped out and one-shotted me.

Hardy har har, Xom.

A long time later, when I was just looking through the Crawl Wiki, I decided to look up this, and I realize that there isn't any page at all about Efreeti. Or about this particular bottle. I'm pretty sure it can't be a randart, because I've never seen a randart consumable before, and the Efreeti even had it's own graphical tile (I was playing the tileset version).

So...has anyone experienced this before? Has anyone even SEEN an Efreeti before? Does the bottle always produce a hostile Efreeti...?

Of course, it's entirely possible that my brain might have messed up, but I'm 90% sure it was an Efreeti. The 10% comes from the fact that I often play late into the night, and the mind tends to less clear, but I'm pretty sure.

Temple Termagant

Post Sunday, 3rd February 2013, 14:34

Re: Question about a particular Xom Gift

it's called bottled efreet here is the page in the wiki. http://crawl.chaosforge.org/Bottled_efreet. It has a chance of being hostile or friendly.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Sunday, 3rd February 2013, 15:13

Thanks! No wonder I couldn't find it on the wiki; it didn't recognize the search phrase of 'Efreeti'. Even though Efreeti is singular while Efreet is plural. Huh...

The game seems to have taken a shine to being a troll. From stuff like this to my octopode who couldn't find a single ring before dying (a shaft dropped him a couple of levels where he died trying to escape), and a Minotaur soon after that found 5 rings by D4. GAAAAAAAAAME.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 5th February 2013, 19:38

A bottled efreet is a flaming scimitar waiting to be dropped, for all of your hydra-smashing needs. Of course, it will assuredly spawn friendly if you're worshipping Okawaru or Zin.
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice