Ancient Champions

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Thursday, 24th February 2011, 04:30

Ancient Champions

So my most recent character died fighting these monsters called Ancient Champions and the wiki has no information on them. I was wondering if anybody else has seen these things before.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 24th February 2011, 04:34

Re: Ancient Champions

I have. I destroyed them all, no problem. :)

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Thursday, 24th February 2011, 04:35

Do you have any more specific information on them because each one seemed to use a random assortment of spells and some didnt seem to cast at all.

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 24th February 2011, 04:40

The wiki may fail you, but the bots know all.

Gretall wrote:ancient champion (z)

The unfathomably ancient skeleton of a humanoid creature. It has hundreds of golden sigils etched onto its bones, and pulses with terrible, unholy power.
Speed: 10 | HD: 10 | Health: 54-75 | AC/EV: 15/10 | Damage: 25 | Flags: undead, evil, spellcaster, vault | Resistances: magic(93), cold, poison, drown, rot+++, neg+++, torm | Vulnerabilities: holy++
XP: 1008 | Spells: b.venom (3d15), haste, haunt.

Henzell wrote: 1. A very dangerous spellcasting skeleton, found in one vault. Try not to lead them downstairs.
2. Easy with dispel undead.
3. iron shot, haste, pain OR bolt of draining, haste, throw frost OR venom bolt, haste, haunt OR IMB, slow, haste
4. If you're a wimp, you can just cTele to the middle of the vault and get the loot for free.

As for your complaint, it seems these things have three different possible spell sets- that's why the spells may have seemed random to you.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 24th February 2011, 04:42

I don't remember specifically how they behave. They're like Skeletal Warriors, maybe a bit stronger. As long as you fight them one by one, you will be okay, I guess. The problem with Skeletal Warriors is that those dudes tend to attack you in a pack, but you can fight the Ancient Champions one by one (at least that's how it went for me, because I met them in a corridor with a layout that prevented them from seeing what each other was doing).

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Thursday, 24th February 2011, 04:44

Thank you very much that info was really helpfull. Too bad not for that character any more he died. O well now I have a much better idea what to watch out for if I ever see them again.

Zot Zealot

Post Thursday, 24th February 2011, 10:12

I've only ever seen them once in about 200 games.

It's a great vault though!
I am sure I played flawflessly. This was an utmost unfair death. -- gorbeh

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 24th February 2011, 20:48

mageykun wrote:The wiki may fail you, but the bots know all.

Henzell wrote:4. If you're a wimp, you can just cTele to the middle of the vault and get the loot for free.

Not anymore ;)
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice