Quick dragon armo(u)r question

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 28th November 2012, 03:38

Quick dragon armo(u)r question

Running a DEFE and was wondering what the optimum armor level I should shoot for to reduce the misfire chance on the top tier spells with a fire dragon armor.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 28th November 2012, 05:15

Re: Quick dragon armo(u)r question

Mostly armour skill is for getting more AC. If you get it to level 45 then you eliminate all the casting/melee penalties!! You can also get around the penalties by using wizardry or just getting more skill in your magic schools, which is often better.

Get some levels of armour skill because they're cheap, but it's not going to be a big help for spellcasting.

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 28th November 2012, 06:31

crate wrote:Mostly armour skill is for getting more AC. If you get it to level 45 then you eliminate all the casting/melee penalties!!

What do you mean by "level 45"? Was that a joke about an impossible skill level i.e. you can't eliminate casting penalties with Armour skill? Or at 45 AC does armour penalty magically disappear?

Sorry.

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 28th November 2012, 06:59

He's kidding about getting to 45 skill, but if it were possible, it would really work as he says! Armour skill reduces your base penalty by this formula:

[real evade penalty] = [base evade penalty]*((45-[armour skill])/45)

If armour skill was 45, you'd multiply the base penalty by 0, which would nullify it.

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 28th November 2012, 08:30

Hi there,

Are there other tips for spellcasting in heavy armor ?

Thanks

Gilles

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 28th November 2012, 11:17

Gilou wrote:Hi there,

Thanks

Gilles

press Z and choose a letter. If you don't like numbers to the right, train some armour.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 28th November 2012, 13:00

pikkle wrote:
crate wrote:Mostly armour skill is for getting more AC. If you get it to level 45 then you eliminate all the casting/melee penalties!!

What do you mean by "level 45"? Was that a joke about an impossible skill level i.e. you can't eliminate casting penalties with Armour skill? Or at 45 AC does armour penalty magically disappear?

Sorry.

No it's not a joke. If you cheat your armour skill up to 45, you no longer suffer any kind of penalty to melee or magic. Unfortunately, this is impossible to achieve in any normal game.
What made you happy today?
Shatari wrote:I traded a goat for a Nintendo DS XL, and a ton of games.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 28th November 2012, 13:04

Beogh's reduction of the armour penalty is pretty useful at high piety. I have better success casting as an orc in orcish plate than anything else in heavy armour. I'm a terribly player, so that success isn't anything to write home about.

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 28th November 2012, 14:47

onton wrote:

Thanks

Gilles

press Z and choose a letter. If you don't like numbers to the right, train some spell schools.

FTFY. That was the whole point of crate's post above. Training armour does not reduce fail chances as efficiently as training the relevant school does.

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 28th November 2012, 16:33

Ah, I'm even more wrong since the char is DE, training any magis school is easier and better than armour. My bad.

rebthor wrote:
onton wrote:

Thanks

Gilles

press Z and choose a letter. If you don't like numbers to the right, train some spell schools.

FTFY. That was the whole point of crate's post above. Training armour does not reduce fail chances as efficiently as training the relevant school does.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice